Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2005 7:27:32 AM EDT
Has anyone heard of Wal-Mart to discontinue the sales of firearms and ammunition. I heard from a reliable source that the local stores sporting good manager told him pistol ammo, rifles, and rifle ammo and then shotguns and shotgun ammo will be phased out in that order.

This particular store was already out of pistol ammo and not reordering.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:30:21 AM EDT
[#1]
There is nothing in their press releases about this during 2005. I did find this:

Customers have depended on Wal-Mart for more than 40 years to supply sporting goods merchandise and equipment, including firearms. Wal-Mart is committed to providing firearms responsibly. We follow all local, state and federal laws, which include the enforcement of age restrictions and the performance of federal and/or state background checks. In addition, we require that:

Only authorized personnel with appropriate training can sell firearms in our stores.
A manager in the store must approve firearm transactions.
Associates know they have the right to refuse to sell a firearm to any customer who arouses suspicion or concern.
All firearms are kept in locked cases.
A sporting goods associate and a member of management work together to review the "instant background check" to ensure that it is completely and correctly filled out.
No handguns are sold at our stores, except in Alaska, where customers who live in remote areas carry handguns to protect themselves from wildlife. Revision to Gun Policy - June 2002.

In June 2002, Wal-Mart made the voluntary decision not to make a gun sale to anyone until we receive an approved background check from the National Instant Check System (NICS), even if the approval process lasts longer than three business days. Currently, gun retailers can legally make a gun sale without NICS approval, if that approval is still pending after three business days.

After reviewing the facts and considering the issue, it was clear that this decision is simply the right thing to do.

Historically, more than 99 percent of our gun sales are approved through the NICS approval process within three business days, so this should affect only a fraction of our sales. In addition, of the background checks that are still pending after three business days, we learned that a relatively high percentage of these are ultimately turned down through NICS.

We remain committed to satisfying the needs of our gun customers. We appreciate these customers very much. In instances where the NICS approval process takes longer than three business days, we also will stay in touch with NICS and the customer to resolve the background check as soon as possible. Of course, once we receive approval from NICS on a customer's background check, we will proceed with the sale no matter how long the approval process takes.

Linky
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:45:39 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Has anyone heard of Wal-Mart to discontinue the sales of firearms and ammunition. I heard from a reliable source that the local stores sporting good manager told him pistol ammo, rifles, and rifle ammo and then shotguns and shotgun ammo will be phased out in that order.

This particular store was already out of pistol ammo and not reordering.

I find that hard to believe, but i'm sure many smaller FFL's will be very pleased if it's true.

TD
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:54:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I heard that same rumor several years ago.  I don't know where it's originating from but have yet to find anything to support it.

I originally heard it from a sporting goods employee.  Asked the sporting goods manager the next day and he said it was a rumor that seemed to be going around.

Maybe it's different this time.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:59:37 PM EDT
[#4]
First heard that rumor six years ago while I was living in Texas.  I have been to many, many, Wal-Marts since then both here and in Texas and every one has sold both ammo and guns.

MadDog
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 12:50:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Hadn't heard anything like that.  But, just an FYI, my local Wal-mart just got 40 rd 223 Winchester White Box  bulk packs back in stock.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:17:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Wally World I went to today didn't have ANY ammo or ANY guns.  

...maybe that's because it's in Ciudad Juarez, MX.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:55:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Personally I wish Wal Mart would stop selling firearms. They undercut all the smaller privately owned gunshops and they eventually go out of business. I would rather pay a little more for my guns now, and not run the risk of Wal Mart having a monopoly on the firearms industry in my local area.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:32:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Personally I wish Wal Mart would stop selling firearms. They undercut all the smaller privately owned gunshops and they eventually go out of business. I would rather pay a little more for my guns now, and not run the risk of Wal Mart having a monopoly on the firearms industry in my local area.

I think the internet has already taken care of that. Wal-Mart is just a cheaper alternative.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:38:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think the internet has already taken care of that. Wal-Mart is just a cheaper alternative.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:26:32 PM EDT
[#10]
They have put the crunch on the smaller shops.  I have talked to several owners that just dont carry the same models because they cant compete.

A friend of mine just picked up a Remington 710 at Walmart today for $284.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:29:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
They have put the crunch on the smaller shops.  I have talked to several owners that just dont carry the same models because they cant compete.

That's my point entirely. And who in the long run wants Wal-Mart to be the only store in town with guns?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:29:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's my point entirely. And who in the long run wants Wal-Mart to be the only store in town with guns?

On the other hand, who wants the largest firearms dealer in the world to give up due to regulatory pressures? How long lived will the smaller shops be if the ATF only has us to worry about?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:40:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

On the other hand, who wants the largest firearms dealer in the world to give up due to regulatory pressures? How long lived will the smaller shops be if the ATF only has us to worry about?

Because we all know Wal-Mart puts America and our Constitutional rights first, huh? They already don't sell pistols for their own political reasons.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:37:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I have never bought a gun from wal mart, And dont think I would. Just doesnt seem like the place to buy a gun. As soon as possible they will be importing guns from china and i am not talking about AKs either.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:44:04 PM EDT
[#15]
good point. wal mart trampled over private property rights for their own ends even before the travesty of kelo v. new london.  who's to say that down the road, they won't do the same if they see more benefit to throwing our second amendment under the bus.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:07:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I think the point is that we really don't want to see LESS FFLs in this country. I was in a Sports Authority last week and they now only carry Airsoft and paintball.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:04:00 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
good point. wal mart trampled over private property rights for their own ends even before the travesty of kelo v. new london.  who's to say that down the road, they won't do the same if they see more benefit to throwing our second amendment under the bus.

No sir, you, and I don't mean you literally, but you, the voter in your community did that. That is controlled by your local government, and unless you are living in the land of Oz and have a King and Queen, YOU, the voter, are soley responsible. Sorry to break it to you, Wal Mart doesn't legislate, they just buy the crooks you elect.

Once again, I'm not singleing you out personally, but the blame belongs to thoise that elect the government officals that allow the Wal-Marts of the world to do this.

Stick, you just don't see the big picture, step back and take another look, do you really want them to sell pistols? Think hard now, work this one out, it's not a tough nut to crack.

Chainsaw, you are right on target. Have a beer or three on me.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:46:09 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
No sir, you, and I don't mean you literally, but you, the voter in your community did that. That is controlled by your local government, and unless you are living in the land of Oz and have a King and Queen, YOU, the voter, are soley responsible. Sorry to break it to you, Wal Mart doesn't legislate, they just buy the crooks you elect.

Once again, I'm not singleing you out personally, but the blame belongs to thoise that elect the government officals that allow the Wal-Marts of the world to do this.

i see where you're coming from and agree with you on some level. local communities are partly responsible for allowing their local elected officials to take their private property to hand over to other private organizations. I am not trying to take ANY responsibility from you and i do stand up and be heard in our govt. i too feel it is essential as informed americans to be involved.

you missed my point entirely though. my point was that wal-mart as a company chooses to ignore the rights of american citizens in order to gain a profit. in the past, they have used what were at the time unlawful practices of using eminent domain granted to them by local govt's to seize private property for a profit. at the time, our local govts were breaking federal law, so you're right there. now that our FEDERAL govt in the form of the supreme court has granted eminent domain seizure for the benefit of private orgs legal, wal mart and our local govts are obeying federal law. still wrong, but lawful.   all i was saying is that wal mart is willing to break the law to make money. i challenge any of us to PROVE that they will not sell out our individual right to bear arms of they feel it will make them more money to do so, just like they  have done with our (now past) individual right to own property with once unconstitutional seizure.

i was simply making the point to observe my anxiety towards wal mart possibly running many of our 2nd amendment supporting mom-and-pop stores out of business by running prices down only to rake the 2nd over the coals if they see fit.

based on past events, i personally need documented proof to believe they won't.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:04:03 PM EDT
[#19]
i am against wal-mart's predatory business practices. they have slowly choked small towns thorughout the south for years. they are growing like a cancer. i live in a rural area and i have 4 wal-marts within 20min in any direction. thats obscene

on the otherhand i cant see paying $299 for a 10/22 which is what my local gunstore charges.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:24:37 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Stick, you just don't see the big picture, step back and take another look, do you really want them to sell pistols? Think hard now, work this one out, it's not a tough nut to crack.

Actually, if you read my first post at all, I said I wish they didn't sell any guns at all. Read the whole thread next time, then you work it out, it's not a tough nut to crack.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:26:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, if you read my first post at all, I said I wish they didn't sell any guns at all. Read the whole thread next time, then you work it out, it's not a tough nut to crack.

Hell, I even caught that, and I am borderline retarted.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:48:15 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Hell, I even caught that, and I am borderline retarted. hr

AK's for tards.  it should be the next non-profit org. HAHA
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:11:34 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I caught that, you want the largest firearms dealer in the country to give up and get out of the firearms business. Now, can you give us all a good and valid reason why? Why would you want the industry leader in ammunition and firearms sales to just quit and get out of it altogether? What woulde be the benefits?

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:14:21 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hell, I even caught that, and I am borderline retarted.

Borderline is such a harsh word, I would never consider you borderline, don't be so hard on yourself.  

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:39:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Heres a big fat reason, Even though the guns you are buying are american made your still funding the #1 importer of chinese goods in the country. Even though they want us to believe different we are still cinsidered the number one enemy of china. So why put money in the hands of the people that our children will be fighting a war against. And another is thier imminent domain infringement. They see land they want they get the local govenrment to raise taxes sooo high that unless your a millionaire you dont have the money to pay them therefore having to sell the land. The company is basically bullying citezens to sell their land and trying to place a monopoly on EVERY business in the retail industry.

E.T.A. Borderline that!!
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:05:10 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I caught that, you want the largest firearms dealer in the country to give up and get out of the firearms business. Now, can you give us all a good and valid reason why? Why would you want the industry leader in ammunition and firearms sales to just quit and get out of it altogether? What woulde be the benefits?

OK, Bill, I will try to explain this in a very simple manor, so you can understand. Wal-Mart comes into a community and sells firearms so cheap that the local guns stores can't compete. I have seen this first hand. Then, when all the small privately owned mom and pop stores are gone, you are left with Wal-Mart. I for one do not want a company that has such a long history of stomping all over citizens rights to have that much control over the firearms industry. I realize you probably work at Wal-Mart, or else I have no idea how you could possibly want to defend them, and the loss of the sporting goods section may mean the loss of your position. But if you're old enough, maybe they can move you to the front and you could be the "Welcome to Wal-Mart" guy.
Understand now????????
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:48:23 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

OK, Bill, I will try to explain this in a very simple manor, so you can understand. Wal-Mart comes into a community and sells firearms so cheap that the local guns stores can't compete. I have seen this first hand. Then, when all the small privately owned mom and pop stores are gone, you are left with Wal-Mart. I for one do not want a company that has such a long history of stomping all over citizens rights to have that much control over the firearms industry. I realize you probably work at Wal-Mart, or else I have no idea how you could possibly want to defend them, and the loss of the sporting goods section may mean the loss of your position. But if you're old enough, maybe they can move you to the front and you could be the "Welcome to Wal-Mart" guy.
Understand now????????

Well, actually, I work for a frieght company, and oh, yeah, I am an FFL also, go figure, you still don't have a clue.

Tell me, what small shops have closed due to Wal-Mart? You sure it wasn't due to poor management of their business? Wal-Mart sells base grade guns for the most part, no real accessories, no pistols, holsters, etc... In other words, nothing most firearms enthusiasts would buy on any regular basis. People go to the local shops for things like this, right? I'm sure you buy all of your ammo from the local shops along with all of your firearms, right? Or, maybe just maybe based on your empty argument, should they shut down the internet? You aren't one of those guys that order your ammo online are you? Do you get your parts from Brownell's? Are you scouring the internet for deals on firearms and reloading supplies? You know, the things that keep the Mom and Pop's in business? It's not Wally World sport,  not for the most part. The base grade firearms they offer might get someone into the sport that normally wouldn't, but once those people start shooting, they need to go elsewhere for the equipment they want and need. Quit repeating the internet BS you are used to parroting and do a little bit of critical thinking. Yes, WW are competitors, but it's only a sporting goods department, not a pro shop.

Your goal for the day should be having an original thought, try it, you'll like it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:52:36 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Heres a big fat reason, Even though the guns you are buying are american made your still funding the #1 importer of chinese goods in the country. Even though they want us to believe different we are still cinsidered the number one enemy of china. So why put money in the hands of the people that our children will be fighting a war against. And another is thier imminent domain infringement. They see land they want they get the local govenrment to raise taxes sooo high that unless your a millionaire you dont have the money to pay them therefore having to sell the land. The company is basically bullying citezens to sell their land and trying to place a monopoly on EVERY business in the retail industry.

E.T.A. Borderline that!!

Elect a better government. Get real tax reform passed. Where are you buying your clothes and such at? Which one of your computers are made in America? What about your TV's? We need to learn to dealwith these things, not whine about them, Write your Senators and Congressman to get our tax system reformed and get involved in local politics to get real honest businessmen elected that support your values and ideas. Your heart is in the right placed my friend, unfortunately your head is up your ass.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 12:00:57 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Your goal for the day should be having an original thought, try it, you'll like it.

Your goal for the day should be to go fuck yourself. And yes, I buy all my guns/ammo at local gunstores.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 12:46:40 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your goal for the day should be to go fuck yourself. And yes, I buy all my guns/ammo at local gunstores.

You sure are a sensitive little fellow. Sorry the question took more critical thinking than you could muster, didn't mean to embarrass you. Hope you are still working on that whole 'original thought' thing though.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:18:45 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You sure are a sensitive little fellow. Sorry the question took more critical thinking than you could muster, didn't mean to embarrass you. Hope you are still working on that whole 'original thought' thing though.

You didn't embarrass me. It's just that since your first post in this thread you have been a smart ass. I understand we disagree, and I can live with that. It's funny how you shoot down any opinion that doesn't agree with you as "unoriginal". You are simply an asshole, not because of your opinion,  just because of your delivery.  All your little smartass comments sound real tough on the internet, but I bet your store manager would fire you if you talked like that to your customers. Go crawl back under the Wal-Mart you crawled out from Troll. Thats why I said before and will say again, go fuck yourself.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:40:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Bwahahaha
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:11:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Ok, I have reread this whole post and I am still scratching my head as to why an "FFL" who works for a freight company would be defending wal mart to the end, heres what I gather. The freight company you work for obviously delivers for wal mart. And as far as an FFL well that just goes against everything in this post. Wal mart is a disgusting company with a horrible reputation since sam walton died. You are deffinately a stockholder or are somehow paid by wal mart to defend their cut throat business practices in such a manner. Or you are just blind to what they are and what they are doing.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:34:14 AM EDT
[#34]
I rarely lock threads.  You guys know that.  But the personal FUs in this thread give me no choice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top