Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2005 12:11:48 PM EDT

Was just curious as to how this works and whether or not I need to do anything special to make such a transaction legal?  I only ask since I'm a relatively new Florida resident (two months) who came here from Massachusetts (where I can't take a leak without filing paperwork in triplicate).

I've got someone who's a few hours away but in-state and wants to buy a pistol I have for sale.  Is it as simple as receiving payment for the pistol and shipping it to him via UPS/FedEx?  Thanks for any assistance anyone can provide.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:23:30 PM EDT
[#1]
In Florida, two private citizens can sell/buy said lawful firearm.

You may not transfer NFA w/o proper steps being taken.

As an aside, if you sell to a person, and they're a b/g, the LEOs may come looking for you if your gun can be traced to you. So, to avoid a b/g, ask to see their concealed carry license. If they don't have one, ask why? Just be careful who you sell to and you should be okay.

If you buy from somebody, same thing applies - if they have a concealed license, then they are probably an okay person and not selling a stolen firearm. Etc., etc., etc.

What are you selling/buying?

<edit>
"I'm no big city lawyer, but..." as far as the shipping goes - DO NOT ship via USPS!!!  I'm not sure about UPS, but I don't think a non FFL/C&R can ship to another non FFL/C&R person - I think you need to go through an FFL/C&R to ship.  That being said, I don't know if FedEx, or another type of courier, has the same thing apply. Moreover, if you were to ship to the other person and not inform anybody what is in the box, you might get away with it, then again... you might not. I believe in face-to-face for firearms transactions.

Just my $.02
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top