Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2006 4:21:32 PM EDT
Hey there gang... I got a What IF question.

I want to take my pre-ban AR with me when I go visit my father in the Bay Area, CA in the summer time.  I was thinking about driving down.  What IF: I get stopped by police in OR or CA for speeding?  Do I tell them that I have an AR in a hard case in the trunk?  Any special requirements?  Also, when I get there, is there any extra rules for plinking at a range or hunting with it?

Oh, and for shits and giggles, can I check it in as luggage on a plane (not carry on, of course) if I fly?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:30:39 PM EDT
[#1]
In general AR+CA=
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:34:53 PM EDT
[#2]
You'll be guilty of importing an illegal assualt weapon and. if you bring any "high capacity" magazines for them, importing illegal assualt magazines.

Traveling with firearms in California

Since you can't register and won't have a registered AW, you can't even step over the stateline with one.

See the relevant sections on the gestapo's AG firearms page.

We had to drive a couple hundred miles out of our way to avoid California this summer since we had illegal handguns and a bunch of those evil assualt weapons with us. An Arizona Patrolman I was talking to said they sometimes ask if you have firearms at the ag inspection stations. Take that for what its worth. It may or may not be true. I personally was not and will not take the chance. One of the many reasons my California friends can come visit me. A possiblity of a little sunshine isn't worth it to me.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:39:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Since you can't register and won't have a registered AW, you can't even step over the stateline with one.

I was under the inpression that you cuold theoretically bring one in with evidence that you were competing with it there but that a cop spotting you would probably hassle you anyway.

A Navy Marksmanship Unit guy was at a highpower match I attended last month and said that even service guys had had them confiscated, even though they were legal.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:52:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Violation of the SB23 assault weapons ban in california would ruin your day.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top