Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2013 4:51:06 AM EDT
Anyone recommend a range near the villages? Wife wants to shoot and its the perfect time since we can leave our kid with the inlaws. Well ventilated is the key to her having a good time!

Also, any big deal with out of staters?
Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 4:54:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Not familiar with the Village area that well.  I know that they have some sort of range for shooting.  I think it is more towards skeet/clay.  I asked this question to a friend of ours that lives up there.

But remember, Florida welcomes gun owners here.  Have a nice trip down here.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 5:00:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I think they have archery and airgun ranges in The Villages.

There is an indoor public range in Leesburg, 10 to 15 miles away.  Click here for their web site.

I've been in the attached shop, but I've never used the range.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 5:28:25 AM EDT
[#3]
The Villages covers a LARGE area, the better part of three counties, so it depends on where you are. I know there's a public range in the Ocala National Forest but I've never been there so I can't tell you anything about it.  If you don't get an answer here, I would call a couple of gun shops in the area and ask them. Peterson's Gun Shop would be  a good place to start. They've been there since the 1920s. Eustis has a gun club and I've been told that they have good range but you may have to be a member.

PS  out of state shouldn't be any problem.  The last time that I shoot at a pay-for range, you didn't have to show any id or anything else. There's no FOID cards in Florida. Everyone can have gun (except those banned by Fed law) and no one checks.  I think you'll find gun owning and shooting in Fl a lot more acceptable and pleasant then in Il.  In Fl you have to have a CWP to carry concealed and there is no open carry but that's it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 12:07:19 PM EDT
[#4]
second the The Gun Shop and Range. stores a little eccentric but the people there are really nice and so is the range,
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 12:33:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Also, any big deal with out of staters?
Thanks!

No... you will fit right in.  I actually work in and around the Sumter side of The Villages.  

The Gun Shop is off SR 44 (south side of the road) between Wildwood and Leesburg (closer to Leesburg).  It's nice as far as indoor ranges go.  From The Villages, take E C-466 (the main drag) west to US 301.  Take US 301 south to Wildwood, to SR 44 (Wildwood's main intersection).  Take SR 44 east towards Leesburg... it will be about 8 miles up on the right.

I think there's an indoor range in Ocala but IIRC the owner is LEO and supports magazine capacity limits...
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 1:35:38 PM EDT
[#6]
The VillllllllllllllAAAAAAAHHHHHH GIIIIIIISSSS.

Sorry, had to do it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 2:01:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Here is the page for the ONF free range. http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/ocala/recreation/otheractivities/recarea/?recid=40236&actid=106

To be avoided on the weekends. But it does have good ventilation.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 6:27:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks!!! Will call them in the am. Will stay the hell out of the range in Ocala based on what was posted here about him supporting mag cap limits.

Side note, fuck the traffic in Orlando!!! Watched a 10 car pile up today cause it was raining. Put a little water on the ground and people drive 20 mph HOURS after the rain has started! Did I say fuck rush hour traffic in Orlando?! Well, I meant it!

Thanks again for the replies, close to wildwood!
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 1:36:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Eustis has a gun club and I've been told that they have good range but you may have to be a member.

That is correct.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 3:17:53 AM EDT
[#10]
If up toward Ocala...there is R and D tactical:  HOWEVER due to one of the owner's comments to media, we are cutting participating with them.   The comment came after the Sandy Hook Shooting when owner was interviewed by local media and supports ban on 30 rd mags.  I think Malone is a cop from Ocala PD.  Here is an excerpt with link below, if someone would make hot, that would be great!!

"Malone is also a Ocala Police Department officer and a lawyer, although he doesn’t practice law.

He thinks Obama’s ability to crack down on gun violence with new regulations is limited.

“I’m not worried,” Malone said. “The Supreme Court is going to tell us what we can and can’t do. (Obama) doesn’t have as much control as his people think he has.”

But as a parent, Malone said he wouldn’t object to some curbs on firearms.

He said he supports a ban on new high-capacity magazines like the 30-round clip Lanza carried into the school.

He also wanted a law requiring background checks on buyers before all gun purchases, closing a loophole that allows private sales at gun shows without such background checks."

http://www.ocala.com/article/20121220/ARTICLES/121229962

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 4:02:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The VillllllllllllllAAAAAAAHHHHHH GIIIIIIISSSS.

Sorry, had to do it.

You are number 6.

Who is number 1.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 7:18:07 AM EDT
[#12]
See any clowns driving with their emergency flashers on yet?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top