Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2013 7:00:50 AM EDT
All,

I'll be teaching troops in Anchorage mid March during the duty day and looking for some areas either for grouse or ptarmigan.  Had some success in Fairbanks early Oct doing the same.  Plan on taking my 870 12 ga and a sidearm again.  

Thanks,
CD
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 6:44:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone?  Head up there Wednesday.

CD
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 7:39:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I dont know of any good places for ptarmigan at all and grouse I haven't had luck in the spring fall is a different story.  Good luck out towards Eureka is usually good for rabbit but it looks like this is a down year.
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 9:58:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Goodluck with it.  I'm up in Fairbanks.  Had a blast hunting them last fall up on the Steese Highway.  Can't wait to get after them again this year.  Try for some ptarmigan if you can, very good eating!
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 8:21:27 AM EDT
[#4]
You will probably have to venture closer to Wasilla/Palmer/Knik area.
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 3:54:57 PM EDT
[#5]
check regs most area's close in late march till aug. also watch out for that trooper grouse sitting on the side of the road!
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 5:43:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys, I did hunt up the Steese's Highway back in October and thats where I got my birds.  I've got a long flight to reread the Alaska state/post regs on the area. (do know about the road hunting reg)  Hopefully Denali will be open this time around and can see it as it was snowing and closed earlier.

Thanks again.

CD
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 6:33:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Winter still has another month or two, haha.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 7:20:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Did get to go down to Portage Valley today.  Jumped one snowshoe hare up but didn't get a shot off.  Did see a coyote, 2 bald eagles and 6 moose.

Going to try again tomorrow.

CD
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 7:44:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Right on, looks like a decent day to see some of the local pets.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 5:33:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Did some scouting on Fort Richardson after training today.  Did find one grouse and of course didn't have the shotguns with us.

CD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top