Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2005 8:28:28 PM EDT
On GlockTalk we've been discussing places where they post signs saying that guns (and obvious people who carry them) are unwelcome in the establishment.  Following the lead of some Ohio citizens and other groups, we've put together some ideas for cards to give to the owners or managers when you see such a sign.

Here is the topic, with some examples available there.

GlockTalk Topic

I have a small stack of my version ready to go.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:35:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Hmm.

I will print out some of these after I get my IN CCW.

Which will occur after I move to IN.

Which will occur next week.

Unless the Illinois State Patrol catches me for speeding.  

And remembers that I outran them before. . .

(It's not my fault they run speedtraps 3/4 of a mile from the IL/WI border)

Anyway, free Bump
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:04:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Krazny13:

So you're gonna make it official, eh?  'bout time; you've been hanging out here long enough!  

Seriously though - welcome!  Where in IN will you be moving to?

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:47:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I've never seen a "no guns" sign in IN.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:46:38 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I think every gun shop I've been in has a "no loaded guns" sign on the door.  There's a sign at the exit of the Galyan's going into the mall in Castleton that says all guns have to go out the other door because they're not allowed in the mall.  I can't remember if the mall has signs on any other entrances, but I think they do.  The Claude & Annie's bar in Plainfield just north of 40 on I think it's Girl's School Rd has a sign on the door that references some statute.  So they're out there.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:15:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

My bank has one on the front door. Consequently, I always use the drive-up or the ATM.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:10:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My bank has one on the front door. Consequently, I always use the drive-up or the ATM.

Maybe you should use a different bank....
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:15:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Yea.

Its official.  
I can't afford out of state tuition anymore.  And its not like I am giving up anything.  Other than the ability to have Short Barreled Shotguns.  But the chance of getting LEO signoff in Madison, WI is slim to nil.  and Slim just left town. . . .

Oh well.  

Methinks CCW is worth it. . .

I'll be in West Lafayette.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:26:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Value City Furniture right by Castleton Mall has a no firearms sign on the door!  And ALL Simon owned malls have a "No Weapons" policy at least in Indiana it is generally posted inside the vestibule at each entrance on a wall mounted frame that has "Mall Rules" or some such!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:54:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Screw those damn signs! I would rather be tried by twelve, than carried by six! I have a legal right to carry my firearm, and I do that every day. If the non-gunners can't see my firearm they cannot be offended. I will not be a victim! (If I can help it!)
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:09:42 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Screw those damn signs! I would rather be tried by twelve, than carried by six! I have a legal right to carry my firearm, and I do that every day. If the non-gunners can't see my firearm they cannot be offended. I will not be a victim! (If I can help it!)

The point is to encourage the weasels who post the signs to remove them via economic persuasion.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:18:42 AM EDT
[#11]
if they can't see it, they don't need to know. I'll be damned if I go anywhere without my CCW if I can help it. They're infringing on my protected rights.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:33:05 AM EDT
[#12]
If you count gun stores, then even Bradis has one of those.  I just take that as a "no guns brought in for trade/sale/repair should be loaded".
IIRC, in Indiana you aren't breaking any laws by entering a building that has such a sign.  You're only in legal hot water if you are asked to leave and don't.
I'm not arguing with what you guys are talking about mind you, I support what you're up to.  I've just never seen one anywhere but gunstores.  If I do, I may start dispensing some cards.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:53:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Yea.

Its official.  
I can't afford out of state tuition anymore.  And its not like I am giving up anything.  Other than the ability to have Short Barreled Shotguns.  But the chance of getting LEO signoff in Madison, WI is slim to nil.  and Slim just left town. . . .

Oh well.  

Methinks CCW is worth it. . .

I'll be in West Lafayette.  

So will you be joining the Wildacat R&P Club??  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:57:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Fuck Simon, I carry in the mall all the time. I dont actually recall ever seeing a posting at any entrance but I never looked.
I was told once that Lowes has that policy but I never have noticed a sign there as well.
Face it, a large company such as lowes and simon could care less about us. Now a localy owned store might be easier to influence if there are enough complaints.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:06:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
If you count gun stores, then even Bradis has one of those.  I just take that as a "no guns brought in for trade/sale/repair should be loaded".

Our sign actually specifies no LOADED firearms, which is a very different thing from "NO GUNS".  IOW, you are taking it correctly.  If someone's bringing in a gun to trade, sell, have appraised, etc, he should make sure it's unloaded and carry it in an obvious manner.  If he comes to the counter, tells me he has a gun to trade, and pulls it from concealment, chances are I'm gonna take it from him in a not-too-nice fashion and make sure it's unloaded. If he's stupid enough not to forewarn me before pulling the gun from concealment, it's liable to get ugly.  All of this should go without saying and we shouldn't even need the sign... but I've lost track of the number of times I've been swept by guns the owners "thought" or assured me were unloaded, only to verify for myself and have a live one come flying out of the chamber.

Feel free to carry in the shop, as long as the g-d thing stays holstered. But if the gun comes out, it had better be unloaded beforehand. Most of our regulars know this. For everyone else, we have the sign and my subtle sweet voice to remind them.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:07:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
So will you be joining the Wildacat R&P Club??  

You make that sound like a question...

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:44:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Well,
I am unsure if I can afford the cost of a membership at WVRPC.  
Especially because I just 'had' to build that damn Recce.  

Actually, I hadn't really thought about it.  I mean, I usually drive to JP and piss off the evil DNR RO because he hates ARs.  And AKs.  And me loading more than 1 round in a mag at a time.  And me having more than 1 box of 20 rds to shoot.  And me wanting to SHOOT while I am there.  

Oh well.  I should probably be starting a seperate thread rather than hijacking this guys thread. . . .
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:26:49 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Our sign actually specifies no LOADED firearms, which is a very different thing from "NO GUNS".  IOW, you are taking it correctly.  If someone's bringing in a gun to trade, sell, have appraised, etc, he should make sure it's unloaded and carry it in an obvious manner.  If he comes to the counter, tells me he has a gun to trade, and pulls it from concealment, chances are I'm gonna take it from him in a not-too-nice fashion and make sure it's unloaded. If he's stupid enough not to forewarn me before pulling the gun from concealment, it's liable to get ugly.  All of this should go without saying and we shouldn't even need the sign... but I've lost track of the number of times I've been swept by guns the owners "thought" or assured me were unloaded, only to verify for myself and have a live one come flying out of the chamber.

Feel free to carry in the shop, as long as the g-d thing stays holstered. But if the gun comes out, it had better be unloaded beforehand. Most of our regulars know this. For everyone else, we have the sign and my subtle sweet voice to remind them.

As often as I'm in that store... I've seen that a time or three... Before I go in, I unload my G19 (bought at Bradis) and I check to make sure my wife's .380 (also bought at Bradis) is unloaded. I've always carried in there...but ALWAYS unloaded. I try to keep these people happy, as they see a lot of my money.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:13:41 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Before I go in, I unload my G19 (bought at Bradis) and I check to make sure my wife's .380 (also bought at Bradis) is unloaded. I've always carried in there...but ALWAYS unloaded. I try to keep these people happy, as they see a lot of my money.

Thanks for your patronage! Make sure to introduce yourself next time you're in the shop on a weekend; we've probably already met and don't know it, but I'd love to put a face with a screen name.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:27:24 AM EDT
[#20]

... Before I go in, I unload my G19 (bought at Bradis) and I check to make sure my wife's .380 (also bought at Bradis) is unloaded. I've always carried in there...but ALWAYS unloaded. ...

I just ignored the sign, like I do at any other gun shop that posts one.  I figure if it was me behind the counter I'd be more nervous watching you manipulate the gun, twice, than just leaving it safely in the holster.   I've never had anybody say anything to me so either nobody's noticed, or they didn't care.

Clips & Grips in TH had a better sign.  It said something along the lines of  "We welcome customers exercising their right to carry but DO NOT UNHOLSTER without permission from the staff."  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:05:19 PM EDT
[#21]
The best sign I've seen is at Darrel's Custom Firearms in Cayuga.

"We charge $35 to unload guns."

And he means it!  And has!

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:23:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Yes he does.
His work is exceptional too.

I think I saw a no gun sign at one of the movie theaters a while back, but I can't remember if it was at South Bend, Elkhart or Goshen.
I will have to start printing and carry a few.
Very good idea.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:59:51 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Yes he does.
His work is exceptional too.

I think I saw a no gun sign at one of the movie theaters a while back, but I can't remember if it was at South Bend, Elkhart or Goshen.
I will have to start printing and carry a few.
Very good idea.

There used to be a "no weapons" sign on the ticket window at the theater near Lafayette Square in Indy, but it went belly-up.  That's another place where I would not even consider going unarmed!

Re: Darrel's ... do we know each other?  You're right about his work.  He may be the best gunsmith I've ever encountered (I say "may be" to be kind to some others, as I actually believe he is the best) and a very good friend of mine.  Unfortunately he just doesn't have much time to work on stuff anymore since he has to operate the store too.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:58:31 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Value City Furniture right by Castleton Mall has a no firearms sign on the door!  And ALL Simon owned malls have a "No Weapons" policy at least in Indiana it is generally posted inside the vestibule at each entrance on a wall mounted frame that has "Mall Rules" or some such!

I took the girls shopping yestersday at the mall and I specifically checked the rules posted. Nothing about carrying was posted. This was at Washington Square Mall, but it is a Simon Mall. I am wondering if it is just certain areas. Washington Square would be one to worry about with the clientel they are bringing in now.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:58:49 AM EDT
[#25]
My brother lives in Pence IN and my parents live in Hendrick IN.
When I go down there to visit, I always make a visit to Darrel's.
My brother spends more time down there than I do though.
He used to farm for the brother of the guy that owns the Beef House and sometimes they would take their "breaks" there.
I'm sure that if you follow Seiger football, you would know my nephew.

Sorry for the highjack...
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:09:20 AM EDT
[#26]
2 thoughts:

I do not feel the need to carry a weapon in a gun store.  If soem shit is going to go down, you as a patron are likley to be in the CROSSFIRE.  Hit the deck, let the owners do the shooting.

In regards to signs posted on private property, not Federal buildings or city/county govt, if you ignore them and caryy I am not sure you are even breaking any kind of civil code, let alone laws.  They can ask you to leave, but what else can they do?  I understand not wanting to patronize them, but in reality you end up in places like that when the group or family picks it.  So carry and smile because you are a rebel!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:25:36 AM EDT
[#27]

I do not feel the need to carry a weapon in a gun store.  If soem shit is going to go down, you as a patron are likley to be in the CROSSFIRE.  Hit the deck, let the owners do the shooting.
I agree with this, but that doesn't mean I should have to take the gun off and leave it outside or unload it before going into one.  

In regards to signs posted on private property, not Federal buildings or city/county govt, if you ignore them and caryy I am not sure you are even breaking any kind of civil code, let alone laws.  They can ask you to leave, but what else can they do?
That is my understanding too--if they notice they can ask you to leave, and if you don't you're tresspassing--but the sign has no more legal authority than a "no goofy hats" sign.

I understand not wanting to patronize them, but in reality you end up in places like that when the group or family picks it.  So carry and smile because you are a rebel!
I think the point of the thread was to not patronize such places when you do have a choice, and also to make them aware of why you won't.  If you just don't go there, then they'll never know that it's the sign that's keeping you out.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:17:42 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

If I only carried when I "felt the need"  ... well, I don't know what to say to that.  You make your own decisions.

I choose to not place my personal security in the hands of other people.  I can hit the deck just as easily while I am carrying a weapon as I can if I am not.  Just because you are carrying doesn't mean you have to solve every problem by shooting.

If I could predict where and when I'd "need" a gun, I would arrange to be some place else at the time.  I don't know about anyone else, but predicting such things is beyond my ability.  I prefer to be prepared for unexpected, difficult circumstances.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:06:59 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I've lost track of the number of times I've been swept by guns the owners "thought" or assured me were unloaded, only to verify for myself and have a live one come flying out of the chamber.

Well, remember the time in your kitchen when I personally checked my "unloaded" handgun before handing it to you and a live round fell out on the floor?

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:58:20 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Well, remember the time in your kitchen when I personally checked my "unloaded" handgun before handing it to you and a live round fell out on the floor?

Remember that you haven't been inside my house again since?

Seriously though. That's precisely why we check the guns before handling them. Neither of us nor my house got any extra holes, so it's all good.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:52:37 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I only carried when I "felt the need"  ... well, I don't know what to say to that.  You make your own decisions.

I choose to not place my personal security in the hands of other people.  I can hit the deck just as easily while I am carrying a weapon as I can if I am not.  Just because you are carrying doesn't mean you have to solve every problem by shooting.

If I could predict where and when I'd "need" a gun, I would arrange to be some place else at the time.  I don't know about anyone else, but predicting such things is beyond my ability.  I prefer to be prepared for unexpected, difficult circumstances.

I always carry, I had to pull my Glock on three armed guys a few months ago.  A case where shit came to me.  I saw it coming just moments before it boiled over, but I was not involved.  The cops saved their Mom's from having to pay for funerals.  FYI a headset for your cell phone is priceless in a situation like this.

I agree with you guys, but in gun shops, unless I am a regular there and they KNOW me, I go in unarmed.  In Indy it is different from the smaller town shops.  Every kind of dumbass with or without a gun walks in to these shops.  The employees are nervous, and should be.  I never go into a shop near closing time either.  And that was before the guy was killed at Don's a few years back.

The sign in Dicks (old galyans)  where you pass into the Castleton mall went up after the guy blew his brains out upstairs with one of their shotguns, just minutes after my daughter and I had walked through the guns section while xmas shopping.  That same xmas, not long after the suicide, a guy had his handgun drop from his pocket and discharge while he was eatting.  No one was hurt.  So up went the signs.

No where else in Indy except for the Fed and county buildings have I noticed signs.  But I do tend to ignore signs.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:05:17 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I understand not wanting to patronize them, but in reality you end up in places like that when the group or family picks it.  So carry and smile because you are a rebel!
I think the point of the thread was to not patronize such places when you do have a choice, and also to make them aware of why you won't.  If you just don't go there, then they'll never know that it's the sign that's keeping you out.

Don't take this personal, but I NEVER IDENTIFY myself as a gun owner when I am among the sheep.  I know too many guys who no longer own their guns due to theft.  Both urban and rural.

It also worked to my advantage as posted above, when the punks assumed I was a dumbass white guy in a suit.  They were going to cross 66 yards of open ground to get me.  I was using cover, my truck.  They never knew I was armed.  They found out after the fact .  Since then every vehicle has been robbed or vandalized except mine and my GF's, but we are moving this week as I know they will soon attempt to rob the place to get the guns.

I do my protetsting via politics and organizations I pay money too.  People who know me know where I stand.  I save my talking for people I know I can reach.  But in public I restrain myself from ever playing my hand.  If I am pissed, I go home and call HQ for that company.

Even my Father inlaw of 20 years crapped when I walked through his house once with an AR.  "what the hell is that?  It looks like a space gun! What do you use it for?"  Deer and coyotes, here hold it.
Top Top