Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2006 11:08:49 PM EDT
I have a buddy stationed here on Guam with me and he is tranferring to VA in a couple months and REALLY wants to buy an AR. The gun laws here are pretty easy, just go apply for and pick up your fire arms ID in about 1 hour and go buy what ever you want.

What is involved in buying a rifle and or pistol there in VA? Would he be better off buying one here and then transfer there with it?

Are you required to register all firearms there?

Thanks for your help.

Gene
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:29:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I think these two links may answer all your questions...

VA State Police Firearms Transaction Center

Packing.org VA Concealed Carry Law

Hope it helps.

-Mark
Semper Fi
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:31:21 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have a buddy stationed here on Guam with me and he is tranferring to VA in a couple months and REALLY wants to buy an AR. The gun laws here are pretty easy, just go apply for and pick up your fire arms ID in about 1 hour and go buy what ever you want.

What is involved in buying a rifle and or pistol there in VA? Would he be better off buying one here and then transfer there with it?

Are you required to register all firearms there?

Thanks for your help.

Gene

Summary:

Very easy here.  Establish VA residency (read: get VA drivers' license).  Go to gunshop with two forms of ID, I use my DL and car registration as the second ID is to verfiy your address (and proof of citizenship to purchase an "assault weapon").  Pick out AR.  Hand over cash/card.  Wait for NICS check (mine take typically 5-10 mins).  Leave with new AR.

You can only buy one pistol a month unless you have a CHP.

Only guns registered in VA are machineguns, with the VSP.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:24:31 PM EDT
[#3]
you don't have to be a va resident to buy a rifle here.  you only have to be a us citizen.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:06:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys, that was what he needed to know.
He is a citizen and active duty Navy.
Hopefully we'll see him posting here at ARCOM.

Take care,

Gene
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:37:16 PM EDT
[#5]
If Ar15s are legal in Guam then you should have no problem. I got my VA license and went to a gun show to get an AK but couldn't because the license wasn't 30 days old. My old license was from California where AKs and ARs are illegial. Despite the fact I was a resigtered voter here and had a license my license wasn't 30 days old at the time. So either get a VA license that is 30 days old or have another state id where an AR is legal.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:02:52 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If Ar15s are legal in Guam then you should have no problem. I got my VA license and went to a gun show to get an AK but couldn't because the license wasn't 30 days old. My old license was from California where AKs and ARs are illegial. Despite the fact I was a resigtered voter here and had a license my license wasn't 30 days old at the time. So either get a VA license that is 30 days old or have another state id where an AR is legal.

You are talking about having the VA license to show residency right? I would think since we are military, all we need to show is our "Transfer Orders". That's how it is in Komifornia. Either way, he's from AZ, so he's covered there too.

Thanks again.

Gene
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:32:00 AM EDT
[#7]
One other item...as long as you are active duty military and have copies of your orders assigning you to a post/station in Virginia you can buy handguns here also.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:51:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Here is a link to a VSP Bulletin regarding armed services members:

Click Here (pdf doc)

Steve
Hallmark Small Arms
804-986-7409
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:59:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
One other item...as long as you are active duty military and have copies of your orders assigning you to a post/station in Virginia you can buy handguns here also.

Military orders permanently stationing you to VA, military ID and a driver's license from any State will work to purchase any pistol or rifle in VA (not counting class3 obviously).  I used to sell lots of firearms to military personnel.  The good stores know how this works, so if a dealer tells you he can't sell to you, RUN and find somebody else.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top