Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2013 9:09:40 PM EDT
I'm not sure if this can be answered or has yet, so I'll ask away.
In theory, can we own one pre 2013 lower and keep buying uppers for it and still be legal in their eyes?
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 9:48:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm wondering the same thing?
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 10:44:38 PM EDT
[#2]
The lower is the gun.
Everything else is just parts.
When parts wear out they get replaced.
It makes sense to keep spare parts around in case something breaks.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:04:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Another question:  

Since muzzle brakes are now just as illegal as flash hiders, is it now illegal to posses a pre-2013 upper with a pinned muzzle brake?  

If the upper is not mounted to a lower can they still get you for possession of the banned part?
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:45:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Just spoke to a trooper at the toll free #.  Yes, you can change uppers but if the upper has banned features on it it has to go on a registered receiver.  
You can register a receiver  by itself, it does not need to be a complete firearm.
Also, as long as the weapon is registered you can change whatever features on it as long as you stay with in OAL and barrel length.  Collapsable\folding stocks, bayonet lugs, flash hiders are good to go.
Also I was told that you will be able to register a receiver in multiple calibers with out having an upper for each caliber at the time of registration.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 9:09:18 AM EDT
[#5]
At least that's somewhat good news. We can now put whatever we want on our rifles. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to order a complete BCM upper.

Sucks we can't get anymore lowers though.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 9:57:35 AM EDT
[#6]
PSA is holding my 6.8 upper right now that I ordered 5 days before the bill got passed. Hopefully they come to their senses
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 9:58:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Another question:  

Since muzzle brakes are now just as illegal as flash hiders, is it now illegal to posses a pre-2013 upper with a pinned muzzle brake?  

If the upper is not mounted to a lower can they still get you for possession of the banned part?

Parts were never illegal.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 10:37:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
At least that's somewhat good news. We can now put whatever we want on our rifles. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to order a complete BCM upper.

Sucks we can't get anymore lowers though.

Why can't you get anymore lowers? A stripped lower has absolutely zero evil features. If your ffl wont accept them for you find another ffl.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 9:09:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just spoke to a trooper at the toll free #.  Yes, you can change uppers but if the upper has banned features on it it has to go on a registered receiver.  
You can register a receiver  by itself, it does not need to be a complete firearm.
Also, as long as the weapon is registered you can change whatever features on it as long as you stay with in OAL and barrel length.  Collapsable\folding stocks, bayonet lugs, flash hiders are good to go.
Also I was told that you will be able to register a receiver in multiple calibers with out having an upper for each caliber at the time of registration.

Really? So our post 94 compliant upper can now have evil features if it is registered and a post 94 lower?
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 9:20:54 PM EDT
[#10]
NO - it is "guns that were legal" pre-2013 ban.   so either pre-94 with all the evil features or post 94 with the postban features

Quoted:
Quoted:

Really? So our post 94 compliant upper can now have evil features if it is registered and a post 94 lower?

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 11:48:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Another question:  

Parts were never illegal.

There are some on Arfcom who would argue with you. I know, because they argued with me.

Link Posted: 1/22/2013 2:01:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Look, I called the number and spoke to two different people and they told me that as long as you owned it prior to the new law going into effect and you register it you can change whatever features you want on it as an assault weapon is an assault weapon.  

Quoted:
NO - it is "guns that were legal" pre-2013 ban.   so either pre-94 with all the evil features or post 94 with the postban features

Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/22/2013 2:20:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Look, I called the number and spoke to two different people and they told me that as long as you owned it prior to the new law going into effect and you register it you can change whatever features you want on it as an assault weapon is an assault weapon.  

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't want to start us arguing.
I believe Tyranid, that he called and they told him this. That being said....I also see it from the point of nwuboy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top