Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2008 7:43:33 PM EDT
Unique Personal Identification Number

I received an email from a customer who was "delayed" on a NICS check.  She was approved the following day, but followed through to find out why she was delayed.  She was issued a UPIN.  Here is our correspondence:

Hi PK90,

I finally got my UPIN for the NICS from the FBI.  It is the first one issued in NJ according to the NJ State Police.  Or, at least, yesterday is the first time they've encountered one to use for a check!
It worked - got an instant approval (after an hour of teaching everyone WHAT it was and how it works!) State Police told the gun dealer to "just ask for a supervisor" if he ever uses a UPIN again.  I'm FAMOUS!  <g>  Call the newspapers and tell them that the first resident of NJ to get an FBI UPIN is a little old lady!!

Thanks for the advice and the forms!

Still enjoying the Eagle....

Congratulations!!!   May I share this info to others?  Of course, you shall remain anonymous.
PK90

Certainly you may share the story.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who faced a "pending" every time for no good reason.
Fortunately, I did find out why I got the pending (my driving license number is one digit away from a wanted criminal) which helped me send the correct "additional information" to the feds.
I submitted a notarized copy of the DMV printout of my clean driving record, a copy of my driving license AND a full explanation of my situation.

Next time I see you I'll show you the approval letter.  That's all I got!  There is no ID card.  The letter tells me to keep a copy with me.

Anyone else receive a UPIN?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:31:56 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Unique Personal Identification Number

I received an email from a customer who was "delayed" on a NICS check.  She was approved the following day, but followed through to find out why she was delayed.  She was issued a UPIN.  Here is our correspondence:

Hi PK90,

I finally got my UPIN for the NICS from the FBI.  It is the first one issued in NJ according to the NJ State Police.  Or, at least, yesterday is the first time they've encountered one to use for a check!
It worked - got an instant approval (after an hour of teaching everyone WHAT it was and how it works!) State Police told the gun dealer to "just ask for a supervisor" if he ever uses a UPIN again.  I'm FAMOUS!  <g>  Call the newspapers and tell them that the first resident of NJ to get an FBI UPIN is a little old lady!!

Thanks for the advice and the forms!

Still enjoying the Eagle....

Congratulations!!!   May I share this info to others?  Of course, you shall remain anonymous.
PK90

Certainly you may share the story.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who faced a "pending" every time for no good reason.
Fortunately, I did find out why I got the pending (my driving license number is one digit away from a wanted criminal) which helped me send the correct "additional information" to the feds.
I submitted a notarized copy of the DMV printout of my clean driving record, a copy of my driving license AND a full explanation of my situation.

Next time I see you I'll show you the approval letter.  That's all I got!  There is no ID card.  The letter tells me to keep a copy with me.

Anyone else receive a UPIN?

Yep, I have one.
Everytime I'm called in without using it the call is transfered to another agent for review with a "proceed" granted, using the UPIN the agent checks it and again it's proceed....It isn't used often and you'd better be educated because the FFL calling it in won't be. AMHIK  
For me there isn't a bit of diffrence, for others ???
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top