Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2018 9:22:47 PM EDT
Going from PA to FL I95

Is federal law honored in MD?

What is going on with the license plate readers? Are they stopping people because of gun permits?

If you are stopped and produce a FL and PA permit are the letting you pass or arresting?

I have driven through many times years ago but started to fly. I was thinking of driving this time.

Any first hand experience?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 12:18:22 PM EDT
[#1]
have them locked up away from driver, like in a trunk area

with ammo separate

your out of state permits mean nothing here

federal transport laws do apply, but the method of transporting is kinda vague iirc
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 8:39:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Don’t show any permits. Means nothing and they will push you harder for. Vehicle search.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 10:06:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Do they observe the federal law to transport through the state?

If I showed my FL and PA that would prove I am legal at point “a” and “b”.

ETA: I am not saying I would show them my permits I am stating they are foundation of proof to federal law of start and destination.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 8:27:47 AM EDT
[#4]
https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150101/guide-to-the-interstate-transportation

Under FOPA, notwithstanding any state or local law, a person is entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry it, if the firearm is unloaded and locked out of reach. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm must be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Ammunition that is either locked out of reach in the trunk or in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console is also covered

research the FOPA.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 8:35:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150101/guide-to-the-interstate-transportation

Under FOPA, notwithstanding any state or local law, a person is entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry it, if the firearm is unloaded and locked out of reach. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm must be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Ammunition that is either locked out of reach in the trunk or in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console is also covered

research the FOPA.
View Quote
I know this law very well. My question I am asking is do they follow it. I posted this in your hometown forum because I figured locals would know the inside scoop.

I used to live In NY and I will tell you NY does not follow this federal law. If you enter NY with a handgun even if you are passing through and you get caught you are going to jail. They figure let the courts figure it out. Is this how MD handles it?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 8:03:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I know this law very well. My question I am asking is do they follow it. I posted this in your hometown forum because I figured locals would know the inside scoop.

I used to live In NY and I will tell you NY does not follow this federal law. If you enter NY with a handgun even if you are passing through and you get caught you are going to jail. They figure let the courts figure it out. Is this how MD handles it?

Thanks
View Quote
maryland law pretty much mimics the federal

only to and from a legal place of use
just dont stop in the state, and dont give the cops a reason to pull you over and it should be fine
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 3:54:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

just dont stop in the state, and dont give the cops a reason to pull you over and it should be fine
View Quote
Came to post this. Fill up before you get here and don't stop in this state. Even if you were to get pulled over, it is unlikely you would be searched unless you say you have firearms.

There is no link between tag readers and permits. Maryland does not have access to out of state permit holders via their license plate. I mainly see them used for finding stolen vehicles and tracking open warrants.

Like most things, it all comes down to the cop and how you interact with them. I've never had an issue.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 11:03:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Thank you very much. I appreciate the detailed answers.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 9:36:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Came to post this. Fill up before you get here and don't stop in this state. Even if you were to get pulled over, it is unlikely you would be searched unless you say you have firearms.

There is no link between tag readers and permits. Maryland does not have access to out of state permit holders via their license plate. I mainly see them used for finding stolen vehicles and tracking open warrants.

Like most things, it all comes down to the cop and how you interact with them. I've never had an issue.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you do get stopped with in the state, you are not required to say you have guns in your vehicle (unless you conceled carrying) if they request to search your vehicle tell them no even though they will try and push it if they see a "gun" case that doesn't give them probable cause. Anything or nothing could be in that case. Now if they see a fire arm sticking out that could be different.

Do not stop anywhere in md unless it is a true emergency. It is illegal to stop any place between point a and point b with your fire arms
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 7:12:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Do they observe the federal law to transport through the state?

If I showed my FL and PA that would prove I am legal at point “a” and “b”.

ETA: I am not saying I would show them my permits I am stating they are foundation of proof to federal law of start and destination.
View Quote
Anecdotally, depending on who stops you, you may have a bad time.

I cannot tell you how many times a MD officer has gotten firearms law wrong in my presence. I know people in MD that have been arrested for firearms stuff that were not breaking the law.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top