Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/15/2005 4:20:50 PM EDT
I'm getting one those very-nicely-priced Bushy SEBRs you can find out more on here, and I suspect I'm not the only one around here. Who in the SE MI area will be available to do transfer sales on these? Any dealers want to step up and offer "special group rates" say if we all take delivery on a Saturday morning or something?
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 8:42:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I would be very interested if we could line up a dealer. Save some hassle for all of us, it seems.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 9:26:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I do transfers, but im in the muskegon area, more than willing to help.
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 2:42:07 PM EDT
[#3]
+1!

Too much of a pain in the butt to go to Double Action (while I've gotten good service there I had a hard time getting them to fax their FFL before)... 'Twould be great if there was someone else.
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 8:16:54 PM EDT
[#4]
You know there was a FFL guy here on the board. He was from the harrison Twp area. I cant remember his name. One problem we may have here is. postes in the home town forums dont show up in the active topics. I asked "looking for a FFL in the detroit area" and he responded.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 10:11:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Guys I would suggest giving Dave Mandell of Mandell Guns a call.

Shoot him an Email [email protected]

If you guys were to all set up and pick up one day I am sure hed work something out.
I have been dealing with him for a couple years now and he has always gone out of his way to help me and get me the best deal out there.....

I just picked up my FN 5.7 USG from him last week and its a BEAUTY!  I think he still has one if anyone local is looking.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 11:35:08 AM EDT
[#6]
David L. Mandell
Mandell Guns
Since 1985
410 Summit Blvd.
Lake Orion, Michigan 48362-2877
(248) 693-2722
[email protected]
Mon-Fri, Noon-8pm E.S.T.
Sat & Sun, Noon -5pmE.S.T.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 1:40:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Richard Harder at Harder Auto in Clinton Twp does transfers for $15.     586-468-1511

I've done a few through him, pretty good guy.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 1:57:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Richard Harder at Harder Auto in Clinton Twp does transfers for $15.     586-468-1511

Wow, that's a nice price. I'd figured on a $25 fee that we could knock down to $20 with a large group, but for $15 it's not even worth the trouble. I'll call tomorrow and confirm this is still valid. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 1:00:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey Guy

Where are you located from the Crownline Boat dealer on M-24?  I go though the area on a regualr basis and would not mind stopping in.  I am in Davison, but am close to 24 so I take that when I go south to shop.

Joe
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 2:43:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quinn556
Post Number :: 137

eMail sent
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 6:25:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, that's a nice price. I'd figured on a $25 fee that we could knock down to $20 with a large group, but for $15 it's not even worth the trouble. I'll call tomorrow and confirm this is still valid. Thanks.

Post here when you find out more please!

Clinton Twp is my old stomping ground  
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 11:11:22 AM EDT
[#12]
I transferred a Saiga 308 through  Harder Auto Parts about a month ago. I've done a couple other rifles, a shotgun and a couple stripped Stag AR lowers through him.  He has FFLs on file at SOG, AIM,  and most of the guys who sell stripped lowers here at ar15.com. He also does transfers from Gunbroker, Auction Arms and other auction sites.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 1:42:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I got an IM from a member who told me about a bad experience doing a transfer through Harder. Good info to have I guess, but I just got off the phone with Harder and he seemed pretty willing to do the transfer at the $15 price. He wasn't grumpy or unpleasant in any way, so I'm inclined to give him a shot.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 6:33:19 PM EDT
[#14]
If anyone needs a transfer in the Lansing area I can do some. Bushmaster has our FFl on file.
Email me or Im.

Our address....
Gillroys Hardware
300 N. Clinton Ave.
St Johns , Mi 48879
989-224-3271
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 8:12:56 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I got an IM from a member who told me about a bad experience doing a transfer through Harder. Good info to have I guess, but I just got off the phone with Harder and he seemed pretty willing to do the transfer at the $15 price. He wasn't grumpy or unpleasant in any way, so I'm inclined to give him a shot.

I hope I didn't step on anyone's toes by recommending him. He is a bit more conveinant to get to for us east siders.

It does however surprize me that someone had a problem with him. Always seemed like a nice guy to me.

I only learned of him when I found him listed on Gunbroker and called him up. I said I needed a transfer and could he mail an FFL to somebody? He said sure. He took the name and address of the seller and mailed his FFL the same day.  Never even met the guy until I picked up the gun.  I done a couple other person to person transfers through him and a couple orders from SOG, AIM and the Stag Arms lowers guy.

He does his transfers in his auto parts store, and even has small gun counter. Seems to be somewhat knowledgable for an auto parts guy.
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 9:05:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Guys there are LOTS of dealers here...
With everyone you will always find someone whose had a bad experience that does not mean the dealer is a bad dealer just someone had a bad experience which can happen to all of us.

Just because someone tells you of their experience you should not avoid that dealer.  If you have had good luck in the past keep with them!  

And NOOOO you didn't step on any toes at all, thanks for giving the members a new option some may have not known of before.

There are some dealers I wont use due to past experiences yet I have friends and other team members who rave about what a great dealer those guys are so to each their own and it seems there is plenty of business out there for everyone.

Link Posted: 7/21/2005 1:49:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

That's true. But back just a couple years I had a helluva time finding a dealer to do a transfer for less than $50 near me (I'm in Royal Joke). One guy basically said, "Oh you want me to do one of those deals where someone else makes all the money?" I finally ended going out to Michigun where it was $25 IIRC. Nice folks, but Michigun isn't next door for me so I posted the topic.

Again, Harder sounded pretty cooperative so I'll probably give him a shot. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 6:21:13 AM EDT
[#18]
When I got tired of using my regular high-priced dealer, I went out on Gunbroker and searched the FFL listings.  They have a database of transfer dealers.  I sent an E-Mail to the half a dozen or so that popped up in the list near me, and found one that does a good job.

There are a lot of basement dealers listed in that database and you might find something good there.

-Dan
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 6:46:03 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's true. But back just a couple years I had a helluva time finding a dealer to do a transfer for less than $50 near me (I'm in Royal Joke). One guy basically said, "Oh you want me to do one of those deals where someone else makes all the money?" I finally ended going out to Michigun where it was $25 IIRC. Nice folks, but Michigun isn't next door for me so I posted the topic.

Again, Harder sounded pretty cooperative so I'll probably give him a shot. Thanks for the info.

Dang... Once again Michi-gun screws me.    They told me $50!!!

I've been there 4 or 5 times (it's so close to me!) since they opened and have gotten the cold shoulder or been treated brusquely in some way every dang time.

-------

On topic, I personally just want to find a trusted guy that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and that is decent to work with. I figure word-of-mouth is a good way to do it and had actually considered starting my own thread on this but found Heavily_Armed's...
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 2:21:45 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dang... Once again Michi-gun screws me.    They told me $50!!!

I've been there 4 or 5 times (it's so close to me!) since they opened and have gotten the cold shoulder or been treated brusquely in some way every dang time.

-------

On topic, I personally just want to find a trusted guy that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and that is decent to work with. I figure word-of-mouth is a good way to do it and had actually considered starting my own thread on this but found Heavily_Armed's...

Please don't take that price as fact. It's been several years; I may have lowballed them. I do recall however that they were all pretty nice about the whole deal.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 2:34:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
If anyone needs a transfer in the Lansing area I can do some. Bushmaster has our FFl on file.
Email me or Im.

Our address....
Gillroys Hardware
300 N. Clinton Ave.
St Johns , Mi 48879
989-224-3271

If I can`t get Jays*Clare*to help me out, you`ll be hearing from me.I live in Mt.Pleasant,and St.Johns isnt too far away.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 1:54:33 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 3:16:46 AM EDT
[#23]
I've done several transfers with Richard Harder, all problem free and $15 per transfer. He's located right next to the Ford Racing Performance Parts HQ. Although he didn't want to mail out his FFL when I asked, I had to drive to his place and pick up the copies. He does a lot of transfers for AR-15 receivers as well, so it appears he's pretty well known in the SE MI area.. probably for his stand up service and transfer fee.

Double Action wanted $50 + 6% tax.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 9:21:06 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I've done several transfers with Richard Harder, all problem free and $15 per transfer. He's located right next to the Ford Racing Performance Parts HQ. Although he didn't want to mail out his FFL when I asked, I had to drive to his place and pick up the copies. He does a lot of transfers for AR-15 receivers as well, so it appears he's pretty well known in the SE MI area.. probably for his stand up service and transfer fee.

Since when? Wow. I did two transfers there in the last 2 years and it was a flat $25 each time.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 1:21:27 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Since when? Wow. I did two transfers there in the last 2 years and it was a flat $25 each time.

I called them last year for a transfer and they were all prissy about it. $50 + 6% tax for a long gun.
Most of the local joes want $25 + 6% or $30 + 6%.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 1:55:03 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I called them last year for a transfer and they were all prissy about it.

That pretty much describes my experience trying to FFL with them. Figure they want to move inventory, not help you buy from someone else.  And I don't begrudge them that at all; they have a business to run. But MY business is getthing the toys I want as cheap as I can!
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 5:31:16 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I called them last year for a transfer and they were all prissy about it. $50 + 6% tax for a long gun.

Huh. They'd even encouraged me to do transfers that way... Strange.

I'd have the SEBR I'm angling for sent there but they're wiggy about sending their FFL lic. no. out.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 7:26:01 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I'd have the SEBR I'm angling for sent there but they're wiggy about sending their FFL lic. no. out.

Since you seem to live near me (I'm in Royal Oak), when you find who you will get your SEBR through, let me know. Save me the trouble of finding someone.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 7:34:13 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Since you seem to live near me (I'm in Royal Oak), when you find who you will get your SEBR through, let me know. Save me the trouble of finding someone.

LOL I guess that's what I was posting in this thread for
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 10:35:34 AM EDT
[#30]
For my transfers I've been going through Wolverine in Brownstown.  Flat $30.00.  It's not cheap, but it's not outrageous.  They're nice and helpful, send out their FFL or give a copy to you, and no BS involved.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 10:35:14 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I do transfers, but im in the muskegon area, more than willing to help.

Rotty,

IM me your transfer charge.  I'm in Muskegon also.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 10:42:09 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

The sales tax part is only necessary if they order you a gun from a distributor or from the manufacturer.  

If you buy one from an individual or another FFL, then they don't need to collect sales tax.

Here in Muskegon I pay $25 per item.  No sales tax.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 10:44:53 AM EDT
[#33]
As long as we are talking dealers, any dealers in SE MI that regularly order from Bushmaster? I have an order to place soon, and if I can go through someone who has ordered from them before, bonus!
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 11:13:16 AM EDT
[#34]
www.globalmilitarygunsmithing.com

$15.00

Ant
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 11:39:05 AM EDT
[#35]
+1 for Ken at Global

I have used him in the past he does good gunsmith work and $15 dollars for a transfer is a great deal.  He is in the Farmington/Livonia area.

Link Posted: 7/26/2005 3:17:49 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The sales tax part is only necessary if they order you a gun from a distributor or from the manufacturer.  

If you buy one from an individual or another FFL, then they don't need to collect sales tax.

I don't understand why everyone is trying to correct me.

I tried ordering a Vepr from Robinson and having Double Craption do the transfer. DOUBLE ACTION WANTED $50 PLUS 6% OF THE PRICE OF THE RIFLE FOR THE TRANSFER. This was last year.

Most of the other FFL dealers wanted $25-$30 plus 6% of the price of the rifle, even though I was NOT ordering the rifle through the FFL dealer.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:33:41 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I tried ordering a Vepr from Robinson and having Double Craption do the transfer. DOUBLE ACTION WANTED $50 PLUS 6% OF THE PRICE OF THE RIFLE FOR THE TRANSFER. This was last year.

Most of the other FFL dealers wanted $25-$30 plus 6% of the price of the rifle, even though I was NOT ordering the rifle through the FFL dealer.

I don't think they're trying to "correct" you. They're saying that the 6% is a BS charge the dealer is probably pocketing.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:21:32 AM EDT
[#38]
EDIT:  RANDY said he'd do it for $50 bucks.

-----------------
Randy
Guns Galore
1414 N. Leroy St.
Fenton, MI 48430
phone: 810-629-5325
fax: 810-629-5917
Hours: 10:00am-6:00pm Mon-Fri, 10:00am-4pm Sat
------------------

-Tony
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:39:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:59:17 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
+1 for Ken at Global

I have used him in the past he does good gunsmith work and $15 dollars for a transfer is a great deal.  He is in the Farmington/Livonia area.

I think I'm going to go with Ken. He's a haul from me but I would like to give the guy a try. Farmington/Livonia? Is that down I-96?

I'm only semi-familiar with that area.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:54:21 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Hmmmmmm.................

Fenton is within an hour of the pit.

Maybe we need to organize a proper reception for you when you make it to Michigan.

THE PIT???  :: ears perk up ::
What is this pit you speak of?  proper reception?    I'm getting excited about this move
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:26:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:42:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Awesome.  That's perfect.  In fact I was worried such a place might not exist in Mich.  Down here in SoCal we have to drive about an hour outside of sunny Palm Springs.  There in the middle of the friggin' desert is a nice spot at the base of a mountain.  It's perfect for shooting all kinds of weapons and whatnot.  Like you said it's a good time with the right group of people.  9 out of 10 everytime I go there is always somebody out there blastin' away.

hug.gif good times
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:24:38 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think they're trying to "correct" you. They're saying that the 6% is a BS charge the dealer is probably pocketing.

Unfortunately the State of Michigan Dept of Revenue sees things slightly different than what you people are describing.
The State has decided that since there is no way a private individual could legally buy a gun thru the mail from out of state, that the actual "purchase" is happening at the point where you fill out the Federal form 4473. That occurs within the State of Michigan, so they want their 6%.
The dealers who are not collecting the 6% and turning it over to the State of Michigan will be in for a big surprise when they are audited by the Michigan Dept of Revenue and have to pay 6% based on Blue Book value for all of the transfers that they did for a whopping $20-$25.
I personally know of two dealers who have been thru this and it put one of out of business and the other nearly so.
If you doubt my word, please phone the Michigan Dept of Revenue and ask them yourself.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:28:18 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Unfortunately the State of Michigan Dept of Revenue sees things slightly different than what you people are describing.
The State has decided that since there is no way a private individual could legally buy a gun thru the mail from out of state, that the actual "purchase" is happening at the point where you fill out the Federal form 4473. That occurs within the State of Michigan, so they want their 6%.
The dealers who are not collecting the 6% and turning it over to the State of Michigan will be in for a big surprise when they are audited by the Michigan Dept of Revenue and have to pay 6% based on Blue Book value for all of the transfers that they did for a whopping $20-$25.
I personally know of two dealers who have been thru this and it put one of out of business and the other nearly so.
If you doubt my word, please phone the Michigan Dept of Revenue and ask them yourself.

Well isn't this great. The price of our ARs just went up by $45.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:48:35 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I need to call them....
How are they (the state) going to tell what firearms in our register are purchases and what ones are repairs returning. Also are they taxing firearms that a relative gives to a customer?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:56:02 PM EDT
[#47]
If you are a dealer doing transfers I would highly recommend that you ask them directly. I'm just passing along this info to inform those who think that dealers who charge 6% sales tax are getting rich by pocketing the money that they are very wrong.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:37:57 AM EDT
[#48]
BTT
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:25:57 AM EDT
[#49]
This thread was about finding a transfer dealer. Whatever arrangment between the dealer and you is between the dealer and you.

I can't believe how anal people get about sales tax. If you can find a dealer who will transfer a gun you already bought without collecting sales tax on it, go for it. If you feel compelled to send in the sales tax to the state, go for it.  However, it is best to keep the street corner tax lawyer stuff to yourself.

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:18:41 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
This thread was about finding a transfer dealer. Whatever arrangment between the dealer and you is between the dealer and you.

I can't believe how anal people get about sales tax. If you can find a dealer who will transfer a gun you already bought without collecting sales tax on it, go for it. If you feel compelled to send in the sales tax to the state, go for it.  However, it is best to keep the street corner tax lawyer stuff to yourself.

Well, we've gotten a good list of transfer dealers thanks to this thread.

As far as sales tax, 6% aint chump change. You can take shots at 'analness' all day long but what it comes down to is helping ar15.com members save money. User 'anotherlefty' is, as I understand, a respected FFL dealer who states that the mi.gov has conveniently re-interpreted what the words 'service' and 'purchase' mean in order to increase revenues. It's BS pure and simple.

I completely agree with you about keeping the complete details of most monetarilly advantageous transactions off the public record.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top