Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2005 3:43:36 PM EDT
Was wondering if anyone in the north metro has an action block and armours wrench to install a free float tube on my 20" bushy hbar a3?

Or if the guys up at del tone will install it for me?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:56:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I was just at Bills inuiring about geting a float put on my Colt... I believe they said it would be $100 bucks and a week to have it done...Not including the price of the handgaurd.....
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:29:18 PM EDT
[#2]
ouch, stay away from bills for a 10 minute job installing a free float tube.....

I'm going to look into del tone gun range and see if they can do it at thier little shop there, otherwise ill be buying a couple tools and doing it myself.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:35:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I've done it for a couple other members here.  I'd be happy to help you out with your project if you have the FF tube.  I live in the S. Metro.

IM me if you are interested.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:09:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought ya had to remove the barrel or sight tower to get most of em on..... If not, I wouldnt bother with Bills either!handgaurds
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:46:37 PM EDT
[#5]
To install a FF you have to remove the Front sight tower, then the fun begins.  A vise is good start, torque wrench, receiver block, something to lube the threads, and a the right wrench for the tube being in stalled.  Just a bit of work, unless you are Death451.  Death451 has wolfed his Colt!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:09:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Its pretty strait fwd.

use a punch to knock out the role pin holding the gas tube in, use a punch on the taper pins for the front sights, pull out the gas tube, pound off the front sight block.  Unscrew the barrel nut w/ the correct wrench.

I have a two piece DPMS vented free float tube.  Remove the tube from the nut, apply some moly greese to the threads, thread on the nut and torque to around 35ft-lbf?  Align the holes in the nut to the hole in the reciever for the gas tube.  I have a chopped gas block (dpms) w/ a picatinny rail on the top of it that attaches w/ set screws.  Line that up vertically as best as possible and tighten the set screws, install the gas tube and role pin.  Screw on the FF tube to the threaded barrel nut.

I hate to spend $40 on a action block and $30 on the wrench for something im only planning on using once

_Notch_  got some good reading if your intrested about learning how to do it yourself

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top