Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2004 6:45:26 PM EDT
Something I've been working toward for a long time happens tomorrow.  The gloves are ready.  The equipment, in storage for years, is unpacked, clean and standing by.  Kevlar and leather and plastic and metal will go with me tomorrow morning.  My project is nearly done and its time for it to come home.  Pics tomorrow, I hope.

Mousegun, Rmdye, no giving away my surprise.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:28:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 1:10:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:24:30 AM EDT
[#3]
So the surgery is a go? You have succesfully completed living the lifestyle and now the doctor said yes. Is that it??
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:43:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
So the surgery is a go? You have succesfully completed living the lifestyle and now the doctor said yes. Is that it??

That's the only thing I can figure with all that talk of leather and lace and latex...  
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:46:27 AM EDT
[#5]
OK ... I am not going to reveal anything .... but BE CAREFUL ..... no stunts of any kind!!  Where else can we find a lawyer who would wear a ski mask and have his picture posted online????
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:07:18 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Should be interesting in any case.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:29:05 AM EDT
[#7]
This is costing me about as much as a minty,  like new in box Colt SP1 would.

And while I want an SP1 too, I've wanted this more, for a long time.  This will do things I can't do with an AR15.

The hour is almost at hand.  Pics to follow.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:55:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
This is costing me about as much as a minty,  like new in box Colt SP1 would.

ok, a full auto SP1, price checks out

And while I want an SP1 too,

I have wanted this more, for a long time.  

I believe you but please, no details.

This will do things I can't do with an AR15.

Oh I bet you could do plenty with an AR15 if you had the imagination and flexability but once again please, no pictures.

The hour is almost at hand.  Pics to follow.

Ah geez! I don't want to see those sort of pictures, isn't there something in the CoC about that???

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:32:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I can't figure it out either.
Don't keep us hanging for too long!
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:32:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm guessing some kind of racing or racing school.  Maybe motorcycle?  

That's my guess...
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:46:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Is it this *

*Kid not included
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:42:00 PM EDT
[#12]
OK OK OK....my guess is.....

you're getting a sex change and joining spetznatz!!!!
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:14:44 PM EDT
[#13]
October 23, 2004.

DUKE NUKEM RIDES AGAIN, MOTHERFUCKERS!

Some of you who have known me for a long time know that I used to be a sportbike rider.  For a few years I rode with the "Thursday Night Group" in Columbia and the St. Louis Streetfighters (who have now gone to ground since a soccer mom in a minivan crashed and died after panicking as they rode by her in formation at 150mph; the incident made the national news).  During my first year of law school, my car was totaled by a 16 year old who had just gotten her license 3 months before.  In a "gentlemen's agreement" between the insurance companies involved, they paid each other but neither the girl nor myself.  Overnight I lost a $6000 car, and was already going heavily into debt for law school.  I sold my CBR600F3 to buy another 4-wheeled vehicle and angrily vowed that when I finished law school and started a career, I would return to cycling.  When it was 2 am and I was studying for finals in law school, I would tape pictures of me and the CBR600 to my computer desk to keep me motivated.

Flash forward to this summer.  On August 1st I marry Morgan Parrish and her dad, Tom, tells me that if I want to ride again, I can have an old street bike that's sitting in his shed along with a bunch of tools and some dirt bikes.  It hadn't been run in half a decade but it was in decent shape when he parked it.  He bought it at an auction for cheap (he goes to auctions every weekend) but never really wanted to ride a bike on the street that much.  If I wanted to get it running again I could dig it out of there and he would try to find the title in his paperwork somewhere.  We could call it a wedding present and the money I was going to offer him to buy it, I can spend on getting it running again.

I go back into his shed and there's a big, dusty Honda covered in spiderwebs and dirt.  But its been sitting on a concrete floor in a cool dry place.  I trailer it home and start to clean it up, and I do a search for the VIN on the internet.  Its a Honda CB750F, cool, they made a shitload of those, I should still be able to get parts for it.  Of course the brake fluid has gelled in the lines and the gasoline has turned to varnish, but there's no rust in the tank (and after spending $5 in the local car wash, the bike seems to be pretty rust free in general).

I trailer it to Warrensburg cycle and the chief mechanic's eyes light up like a kid at Christmas.  In retrospect, he was probably thinking about the check that I wound up writing him today.  But he explains that the script on the gas tank that says "Super Sport" ain't the same thing as when they put "Sporty" on a Datsun truck.  These things are collectors items now, and in 1980 this was the bike Honda dealerships couldn't keep in stock.  It was the first Honda production streetbike to come with a rear disk brake, and its built for racing.  The previous owner swapped the factory handlebars for some off of a less-desireable LTD model-- they should be cafe-racer style clip-on bars that only come up a couple of inches higher than the triple clamp.  A quarter of a centry ago, this bike was a homologation spec racer, complete with different cams, different exhaust, and a monster clutch (clutch pull on it is very heavy but the clutch and trans are built to take abuse: these things were hooligan bikes back in the day and people popped wheelies and did burnouts with reckless abandon on them).

So, after a couple of weeks in the shop getting the carbs rebuilt, front fork seals and fluid replaced, and brakes remanufactured, I wrote a very painful check today and rode it home.  Its not done yet, I need to replace the handle bars with the correct ones, and it needs head work.  Seems that the previous owner replaced the factory airbox with individual K&N air filters, and replaced the original 4-into-2 exhaust with an aftermarket 4-into-1 exhaust, but didn't bother re-jetting the carburetor at the same time.  The resulting lean condition burned one or both of the exhaust valves in my #4 cylinder, and they are slightly hurt, as are my valve seats.  So, the motor bogs in the midrange right now, where it should be very torquey, and I'm afraid to take it to redline for fear of damaging the valve seats further.  There is a local shop which can replace the hurt valves and vale seats--for a price.  That's going to wait until the dead of winter when its 10 degrees outside and I can't ride anyway.

Sorry I didn't post pics earlier-- I went to the shooting range with friends and then I had to ride my MOTORCYCLE for awhile!  WOOOHOOOO!

Note the size of the dual front disk brakes.  Actually my ancient front tire will be the limiting factor in my stopping distance, I don't want to lock that front wheel up!

Nondescript "Super Sport" logo means alot more than I thought it did.  Also, note how fresh the paint is on this bike.  Odometer shows slightly more than 11,000 miles.

The engine is dirty because it just came out of the shop (grimy hands all over it) but overall the bike cleans up VERY nicely for being a quarter century old.  I'm especially impressed with how nice the bodywork is.  Now I need the correct handlebars dammit.  C'mon Ebay, don't let me down!  The seat is also incorrect, it says CB900, but its in like-new condition and very comfortable so I'm leaving it alone.

I had to dig my old riding gear out of a box it had been stored in for about 3 and a half years.  My helmets had mold growing on their liners, but it all cleaned up just fine.  The "Power Rangers" jacket has kevlar armor in the shoulders, back, and forearms.  The gloves are double-stitched, layered leather with hard kevlar armored knuckles.  I don't like road rash.

DUKE NUKEM RIDES AGAIN.

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:35:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Sweet bike!  Until just recently I had a '80 CB750K, the "standard" stablemate of your bike.  Not nearly as sporty though, esp since mine had a trunk box & a huge Vetter Windjammer fairing.  Nice on the highway though.  Size wise I prefer my SOHC '73 CB500, the 750 was a bit heavier/taller than I liked.  The 750 did powerbrake real good though .  

<edit> One of these days I'm going to get my 500 straightened out.  She needs the voltage reg adjusted or replaced, carbs cleaned & balanced, general tune up, etc.  What I'd really like to do is find a hardtail frame for her & build an old school '70s Honda chopper.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:26:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Congrats on the new toy!
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:46:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
<edit> One of these days I'm going to get my 500 straightened out.  She needs the voltage reg adjusted or replaced, carbs cleaned & balanced, general tune up, etc.  What I'd really like to do is find a hardtail frame for her & build an old school '70s Honda chopper.

Paging Metalman, paging Metalman... ever tried your hand at building a tube frame?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:18:34 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Congrats on the new toy!

+1

(I was close on the tractor)
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:23:42 PM EDT
[#18]
SWEET!
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:28:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:31:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Congrats Mike!!  Now that you have Morgan waiting for you at home ... dont push it too hard on the road, you hear?  We still need a lawyer who likes to run around with an AK and a ski mask on.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:39:56 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Congrats Mike!!  Now that you have Morgan waiting for you at home ... dont push it too hard on the road, you hear?  We still need a lawyer who likes to run around with an AK and a ski mask on.  

You got it Oz.  I actually like my life now, so I'm highly motivated to stay alive.  Anyway, after witnessing some crazy shit in the old days I made a conscious decision that I'd much rather be a slow rider for 30 years than a really fast rider for 3 months.

I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:50:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Hoo-Boy!   Nukem, it is a good thing that you work with the local .gov.  Cause I can see some speeding tickets in your future!    Reminds me of an old Kaw 900...
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:11:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Congratulations Duke!!!!:) I've been riding 36 years, since I was 14, and I wouldn't know how to act without a bike sitting in the driveway. That's a nice looking Honda!!! Only suggestion I have is ditch the bars and throw on some "Daytona sport touring bars" Be careful out there and watch out for the cages.

Rick
SGF, MO
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:52:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Nice bike, looks real good for as long as yousay its been sitting. Sheet metal looks like its in real good shape,congratsht
p,. i agree with ya on the bars, the ones that are pon there just dont look right after looking at the pics again. I will try and keep my eyes open for a set of the ones you need.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:19:22 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Paging Metalman, paging Metalman... ever tried your hand at building a tube frame?

That's a possibility I hadn't considered .  
There's a bike shop over in Kansas (Kansas....<spit>) that has done a few custom Japbikes, & there's a chopper shop in Canada that makes custom Jap frames but lack of time, workspace & $$$$$ conspire against me.  One of the companies that deals in Britbikes offers a hardtail frame minus motor mounts.  It's designed for Triumph or BSA twins but from eyeballing the Brit twins vs the small SOHC 4 Honda it might work with a little cut & paste flamewrench action.  
If I was wanting to chop a single cam 750 I'd have it made because (last I heard anyways) Paughco still offers a frame & there's quite a few used or NOS hardtails & Amen Savior sprung axle frames for the 750 still out there.  The 500 wasn't as popular for chopping as the 750 or even the XS650 Yamaha .  

<edit>  I'll dig thru my parts stash, I might have some pieces for my old DOHC 750 laying about that you might be able to use Duke.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:26:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Riff, I'll give top dollar for a good head.

A good cylinder head, I mean.  If I can find one I can swap heads instead of machining on this one.

This is what the correct handlebars look like.  The ones that are on the bike now force you into such an upright position that you have to pull on them on the highway to stay on the bike.  I like to lean forward alot more than that, so the blast of air against my chest just barely negates the weight on my wrists.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:42:53 AM EDT
[#27]
No luck on a head, at most I've got some tune up parts, sprockets, etc  laying around.  Gave the 750 to my brother since I owed him some $$$$ from buying his truck.  He might be interested in selling it though, I'll ask him next time I talk to him.  I might have a set of drag bars laying about at the parents house with the rest of my junk.  I know I've got a set of 7/8" "Z" bars...in case you want to chop your Supersport .  

There's a couple of bike salvage places (or more correctly, were-it's been a while) in KC.  One is down the street from the old GM plant (Stadium Dr I think) & the other is a block or so over from Van Brunt, not far from the police station.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 1:46:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Man if you could find a set of drag bars that would work, that would be perfect.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:24:49 PM EDT
[#29]
cool, i might have somebody to ride with now! but how are we going get the ar and all the stuff we hall to modcc to modcc during the summer on a bike?  looks good man. i couldnt wait to see it.  very nice selection on helmet. i love my shoi. Ronald
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:14:33 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
cool, i might have somebody to ride with now! but how are we going get the ar and all the stuff we hall to modcc to modcc during the summer on a bike?  looks good man. i couldnt wait to see it.  very nice selection on helmet. i love my shoi. Ronald

I say we just sling our M4s over our backs and do it Road Warrior style.  Hell yeah!  Seriously, we could meet up at Ozy's place, put the "armas mortales" in his car, and then just meet him at the shoot.  Course, I'd have to borrow a long gun to shoot unless I wanted to bungee a gun case to the back of my bike, which probably wouldn't work so good....

I found some "drag bars" online for $13, new in box today from a guy who makes em.  You have to drill your own holes for wiring and such but that's no problem.

I mowed the lawn on the redneck lawnmower today but as the sun was going down everything was bathed in a lovely orange glow, so I hopped off the tractor and brought out the bike for some more pics.  This is the best one.  This bike looks better in person than the pics make it look.  Oh yeah, that part of the lawn wasn't mowed yet, I didn't get to it all, so no wisecracking...

I got an insurance estimate Friday, the bike is so old its not even in their books anymore, so they just asked me to give an appraisal of its value.  I saw one for sale on ebay for $500 (not running, hehe) so I gave them that figure and they quoted me at $104 a year on insurance.  Sweeeet...

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:52:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Nice bike Duke.

I can see why you were so excited about it.  Just a few more years though and you'll have that one parked in favor of the 'busa.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:19:39 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Nice bike Duke.

I can see why you were so excited about it.  Just a few more years though and you'll have that one parked in favor of the 'busa.  

I'll still ride this one on days when I don't feel like scaring the living crap out of myself.  

The Busa is only for times when you really want to feel alive, if you know what I mean.

When I get a Busa I'll know that I've "made it", and a goal I've had since I was a high school kid will have been reached.  I mean, owning one of those suckers is going into "lifelong dream" category.

Make mine red please.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:36:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Nice bike Mike! I had a friend that had one of those in high school. I guess that tells you how old I am. I have two bikes myself.
I've been wanting to ride to the MODCC shoots. But, with my son always coming with me (which I am very glad he does!) there wouldn't be much room for gear and ammo.
Enjoy the bike and stay safe.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:43:55 PM EDT
[#34]
That is a seriously nice bike Duke. I used to ride a bit but it has been years and even though I am sure I can still keep one upright I am not that into it anymore.
Ya gotta love a retro-racer like that, not only fast but classy too. I hope you can get it back to original condition without too much trouble.
Have fun riding but try to only let the wheels touch the ground.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:05:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Duke....if you find a source for the original style exhaust for that bike, drop me a line; I've got a friend with a similar model (not supersport though) who can't find anything except the 4-into-1 exhaust like you have.

Damned nice bike!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:23:28 PM EDT
[#36]
naaaaaaaaaaaaaa only girly boys ride on the street. lets get some heavy bouncers and see if i can do a triple on it!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 11:32:47 PM EDT
[#37]
hey duke...i swear to god you look freakin familiar.  did you work at family pawn in warrensburg for a time?  i used to go in there alot..you taught me lots about guns i didn't know, and i bought a russian m44 from that place.  i sold it a while ago (wasn't really liking it).  my friend went in there and found out you quit there, so i rarely go anymore.  they want too much for their stuff anyway.

email me if its you!  i swear man..the picture, the law school tale, and being in warrensburg..it all falls into place!

kevhug.gif
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:48:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Yup, that's me.  Lurking somewhere in the old threads is a "stupid stories from the pawn shop" thread that I ran for awhile about all the crazy shit that happened there.  I quit because I passed the bar exam and finally had to grow up and get a real job.  Are you still in Warrensburg?  Gonna come to MODCC sometime?

EDIT: P.S. I rode the bike for awhile yesterday, the weather was so beautiful!  Its going to be a great bike once its running right, the only question is, where is the money going to come from for me to have the top end rebuilt?  The toy fund is dry... nooooo...
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 9:06:05 AM EDT
[#39]
hey man..i thought it was you!  just wanted to be sure.  what is MODCC?  to be honest, I don't think I ever heard of it.  I see it floating around here once in a while, but I never look it up.  

I bought an Armalte M15-A2 at the Country Store down on Hwy 13 a little while ago.  I actually thought about selling my SAR-3 after I got it, because I didn't see the need to have both.  But I kept thinking about how you told me they are getting rare, and how right you are!  I was at a gun show a couple weeks ago up at the Blue Ridge Mall, and saw ONE SAR-3 for sale, for $500.  After that, unless I absolutely need the cash for an emergency or something, I ain't selling that thing.

You still shoot at the range in Concordia?  You going to the gun show next weekend in Sedalia?  I know I am!

kevhug.gif
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:52:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Next Saturday is MODCC in Columbia.

Missouri Defensive Carbine Club.

The most fun you can have with a firearm in Missouri. These pics are from September.

Check your instant messages.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top