Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2005 2:21:28 PM EDT
GO GET/MAKE ONE!!!!
I have one in the wife’s car that we take on trips ad such, but never got around to getting one put in my vehicle.
Well today I needed it
LSS..
Idiot delivery driver has a flatbed rig with spare tire just lying in the back.
He hits a big bump and the thing is airborne.  Now I don't know how many people have seen 60/70lbs of wheel and tire flying at freeways speeds flipping and bouncing 15-20 feet in the air...but it isn’t nice.  
Well idiot is in fast lane, some Ford F150 is in the center and I'm in the slow lane (I just entered the freeway). At this point the tire appears to strike the F150. I say "appears" since I did not see the vehicle swerve or do anything strange.  However now I have a problem this thing is airborne and is heading my way.  I kept an eye on the wheel (at this point everything is kind of happening in slow motion) I tried to figure out what which direction to go.  Every time I move left or right I cannot seem to get away from this sucker.  This darn tire has radar lock on me.  As it is about to strike my hood (or at least I was hoping it would hit the hood and not my windshield) I slammed on the brakes (I remembered my bike training that you can go fast OR SLOW).  The tire hits in front of my vehicle and flips off the road.  I pull over to the shoulder to compose myself and see the delivery driver guy is getting off at the exit. I figure I'll be a nice guy and get the guys tire and take it to him. As I arrive to the off ramp I see the guy driving in reverse on the service road He apparently did not see me get his tire.  I get out and start trying to flag him down, after about 50 yards he stops.  I tell him his tire almost caused some serious damage to my vehicle and I think it hit someone.  He acts like none of this is his fault.  At this point I see the F150 parked at the off ramp but just figure they are pulled over to yell at the guy.  I also noticed he did not have anything strapped the tire down on the trailer.  I give him his tire and ask if he knows if he hit the F150.  He is still acting like he isn't responsible for anything and states that he's sure it didn't hit anyone.  I tell him since he did not see me get out and get the tire how does he know weather or not anyone was hit  At this point I get in my vehicle and ride up to the F150.  The  first thing I notice is a broke rear view mirror...then a shattered widow, then a bloody face. I jump out of my vehicle and run up to the lady and ask if she is OK.  The lady looks like a zombie, blood and glass everywhere and seems to be in shock.  He little daughter is in the car, she’s maybe like 5-6 years old.  She is crying (she broke her window with her head.) I ask if she is ok.  She says that she called her dad.  I called 911 and asked for an ambulance and give them a quick assessment of what’s going on.  I get the girl's door open, glass is everywhere and she is bleeding from some nice size cuts, (but nothing major). I remember the bottled water in my vehicle so I get 3-4 bottles and a towel and try to help clean the girl up.  By this time the driver guy is starting to drive on by. I got into the middle of the road and signal him to pull over and also yelled at him to pull over(I think he was trying to bail, but I couldn't know for sure).  Now I get back and start helping the mom.  She is really out of it and the whole side of her face is literally blowing up.  I find out the tire actually came inside the cab and busted her  "up-side-the-head" James Brown style.  I could help with getting her somewhat cleaned up but she really needed was some bandages.  These were some pretty deep cuts that I couldn’t really treat with my limited stuff (water and towels).  At this is the point I realized what a friggin idiot I WAS for not having a simple first aid kit in all my cars.  I was glad this was not something more serious.  I also just felt really bad inside knowing that I could offer no more assistance other than just trying to clear glass away and help somewhat clean her wounds. That said I will be heading to the store to construct another first aid kit tonight.  I just kept thinking that what if it were serious and what if it were my wife or someone close that was hurt.  
So guys if you been slacking like me and do not have a decent first aid kit in your car get on it.  Don’t be like me just wishing you had a friggin bandaid to offer a injured child and her mom.

Of yeah how does this end?  
I gave the LEO’s that arrived my story and info about the idiot delivery driver (who I think would have drove off if I hadn’t stopped him), stayed until the child and mom were transported to the local care center on 1960, and went on home.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:41:33 PM EDT
[#1]
You da' man.  

Now stay the hell away from me because you seem to attract trouble..  

j/k

Seriously, great advice and thanks for sharing!!!    
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:46:14 PM EDT
[#2]
This is the second close call I have had on 290.
1st was a steal trailer ramp thingie that fell off about 3 months ago.
2nd was this tire falling off of a trailer.
WTH is up with trailers and the people that drive them.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:00:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
This is the second close call I have had on 290.

Hell, I am surprised I got out of the Cingular store in one piece.  Like I said:

Quoted:
Now stay the hell away from me because you seem to attract trouble..

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:07:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I would say the following are required in every vehicle, and you'd be surprised how most don't have any of these items:

1. med kit
2. flashlight(s) with back up batteries
3. disposable camera, now I know I'm gonna get laughed at for this one, but you never know when you need to get a quick shot of an incident, license plate, or whatever, or bigfoot
4. blankets
5. trunk gun.

-mm
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:11:43 PM EDT
[#5]
sad to say i can think of 2 ladies killed by shit flying off trucks and entering the windshield. one was on 59 south of downtown and the other on 45 north.

thank you for sharing.

let us know how she is doing
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:00:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I would say the following are required in every vehicle, and you'd be surprised how most don't have any of these items:

1. med kit
2. flashlight(s) with back up batteries
3. disposable camera, now I know I'm gonna get laughed at for this one, but you never know when you need to get a quick shot of an incident, license plate, or whatever, or bigfoot
4. blankets
5. trunk gun.

-mm

You forgot the fire extinguisher.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:40:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
sad to say i can think of 2 ladies killed by shit flying off trucks and entering the windshield. one was on 59 south of downtown and the other on 45 north.

thank you for sharing.

let us know how she is doing

The lady seemed to just have very bad swelling when the paramedics took her off.  They said the fact that the tire was too big to go through the door window is what  may have saved her life.
I think they said she had a couple broken fingers (from the tire hitting her hand on the steering wheel) but had to xray once at the hospital to be sure.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:26:49 AM EDT
[#8]
What happened to the driver of the delivery truck?  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:25:49 AM EDT
[#9]
God bless the good Samaritan.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:38:24 AM EDT
[#10]
To be honest I don't think he even got a ticket.  
I saw the LEO exchange info with the driver and the ladies husband (who arrived late).  
Everytime the officers would go back into thier cars the driver would start talking loud about how INS will be coming next (the people he injured were mexican, he was black).  I just looked at this guy like he was an idiot, everytime the husband would walk over and ask me questions (most were about his wife, as she was already in the ambulance) he would walk over to hear what I was saying.  What a POS. Trying to use intimidation on people whose family you injured
If this goes to trial or whatever I will take off ANY amount of time to assist those people .
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:41:06 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
God bless the good Samaritan.

Thanks,
I usually play the bad guy as no good deed usually goes unpunished.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top