Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2004 4:16:31 PM EDT
Who in the king county area threads barrels for a good price?

Oz
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:46:09 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Who in the king county area threads barrels for a good price?

Oz

I was wondering the same thing.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:59:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Know anyone with a lathe?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:51:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:05:14 PM EDT
[#4]
ArmaLite ( the guy I talked to ) said when I sent the upper in for the MB install on my SEBR that they actually had to refinish the bbl.
If I sent it back again for the threading for the FS they just sent me, I'd almost feel guilty...BUT, if there were a way to do it without having to refinish the bbl., I'd consider having it threaded by a good local gunsmith.
I'd like to know which way to go on this, or just leave it with the MB pinned in place.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:40:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
ArmaLite ( the guy I talked to ) said when I sent the upper in for the MB install on my SEBR that they actually had to refinish the bbl.
If I sent it back again for the threading for the FS they just sent me, I'd almost feel guilty...BUT, if there were a way to do it without having to refinish the bbl., I'd consider having it threaded by a good local gunsmith.
I'd like to know which way to go on this, or just leave it with the MB pinned in place.

That's what they make Krylon for.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:30:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I appreciate the KRYLON comment, bigern, but I won't do it to this rifle.  

I've used Brownells AlumaHyde(sp.?); Rustoleum High Temp BBQ BLACK; and KRYLON on other guns with good results.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:48:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Talked to Tom at Oly and he said the would not be threading barrels at Oly as the are busy producing the pre-ban stuff right now.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 12:41:08 AM EDT
[#8]
If you're willing to run north up the freeway a ways,
Benchmark Barrels in arlington
360-652-2594
just off the freeway.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:48:58 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Talked to Tom at Oly and he said the would not be threading barrels at Oly as the are busy producing the pre-ban stuff right now.

Interesting, a few months ago one of the Oly guys (I'm pretty sure it was Tom) said they would be threading barrels for a nominal fee.  I never did understand if he just meant on post-ban Oly rifles or any make though.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 12:41:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If you're willing to run north up the freeway a ways,
Benchmark Barrels in arlington
360-652-2594
just off the freeway.

That isn't that far.

Oz
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:34:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Folks up in that area may want to drop a line to Brian at [email protected]

Brian has a long history in the firearms industry and is a real top notch machinest... give him a try!
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:52:36 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting, a few months ago one of the Oly guys (I'm pretty sure it was Tom) said they would be threading barrels for a nominal fee.  I never did understand if he just meant on post-ban Oly rifles or any make though.

Yes, they did say that they were going to be doing it.  I wonder what their thoughts are going to be in another month or two after things settle done....
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:50:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoth Gunzilla:  Folks up in that area may want to drop a line to Brian at [email protected]

Brian has a long history in the firearms industry and is a real top notch machinest... give him a try!

To say he is an experienced  machinist in the gun industry might even be an understatement...this guy can make 44/357 Auto Mag uppers and if anyone knows the ungodly amount of machining and assembly work that goes into one of these.........it's.....wellllll.....indescribable....he's damn good people!!!!!!!

Brian Maynard
8385 SW Colton Ave
Tigard, OR 97224
(503)624-6301
e-mail: [email protected]

I spoke to him on the phone the other day and he is ready to get into the post-post-ban market....or whatever we're gonna call it.....
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:53:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:05:03 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Quoth Gunzilla:  Folks up in that area may want to drop a line to Brian at [email protected]

To say he is an experienced  machinist in the gun industry might even be an understatement...this guy can make 44/357 Auto Mag uppers and if anyone knows the ungodly amount of machining and assembly work that goes into one of these.........it's.....wellllll.....indescribable....he's damn good people!!!!!!!

Brian Maynard
8385 SW Colton Ave
Tigard, OR 97224
(503)624-6301
e-mail: [email protected]

I spoke to him on the phone the other day and he is ready to get into the post-post-ban market....or whatever we're gonna call it.....

Yes, I may have sold him short... Brian is a good friend and his work is some of the best in the industry! He is very well known for his work with the Auto Mags and other exotics.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:14:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was told this.  Heck I called up there last week and was told again that they would be threading barrels.  And was quoted a price of $50.00 and that included the FH.  A asked Tom on Saturday about how long to expect my upper to be gone and he then told me that they were not going to thread post ban barrels, and went on to say that it would be cheaper in the long run to purchase a new barrel then to get it threaded.  It sounds like all of the production barrels right now are threaded.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:13:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Better in the long run?  What if it's an almost brand new bbl, with only about 250 rounds through it?  So I take it that Brian is highly recommended.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:15:58 PM EDT
[#18]
has anyone gotten a price quote from brian?  turnaround time?  Do you have to the barrel off or does he do it?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:39:55 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
has anyone gotten a price quote from brian?  turnaround time?  Do you have to the barrel off or does he do it?

I think it's $50 a barrel. I don't know if that includes a flashhider or not.

He told me it would take at least a weeks time. I'll have him do one barrel first, then it it looks good, I'll send the rest to be modified.

ls
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:39:40 AM EDT
[#20]
dave helton who is gunsmithing at wade's can thread barrels & remove the old breaks also...has a shop in renton & works for wade
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:30:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Wade's price quoted to me was $125 for removal of an Armalite pressed on brake and threading the barrel.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:54:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Found this thread linked in the AR discussion forum.  Just thought I'd offer another name in the hat for threading barrels.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=201516
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top