Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2014 5:07:00 PM EDT
My degree is in criminal justice, but I never used it.  Have been in business for myself for the last 12 years.

Any LEO's that could give me information; pro's and con's, etc.

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 5:50:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My degree is in criminal justice, but I never used it.  Have been in business for myself for the last 12 years.

View Quote

Keep in mind, even though you have a Criminal Justice Degree, you will STILL have to go though a Law Enforcement Academy.

And at Forty, that won't be fun.

Forty is a little late too start, but I'm quite a bit older than that. The only person that can determine if you are too old is you.

I would suggest a few "Ride Alongs".
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 7:44:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends on determination and physical fitness
couple of us went thru at about 40 with a bunch of 22 year old and finished 1-2
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:09:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View Quote
Not too old.  I've had older come through my academy classes.  As someone who is in charge of hiring, you are going to get the question from me why you are making this life altering decision.  Having just run a hiring process where over 190 people applied for one position, and of that at least half had already been through the academy, competition in the larger metro area markets will be... competitive.   And though some may say your "life experience" is a benefit, that line won't last for long.

We are in the process of revamping our retirement process because LE is rough on the body.  By the time you start hitting the mid 50's, I start getting paperwork for potentially debilitating injuries including back, necks and knees.  We are trying to get you out of the business by the time you are hitting 60'ish, so your career length wouldn't be that long and your retirement wouldn't be that profound.

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:43:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not too old.  I've had older come through my academy classes.  As someone who is in charge of hiring, you are going to get the question from me why you are making this life altering decision.  Having just run a hiring process where over 190 people applied for one position, and of that at least half had already been through the academy, competition in the larger metro area markets will be... competitive.   And though some may say your "life experience" is a benefit, that line won't last for long.

We are in the process of revamping our retirement process because LE is rough on the body.  By the time you start hitting the mid 50's, I start getting paperwork for potentially debilitating injuries including back, necks and knees.  We are trying to get you out of the business by the time you are hitting 60'ish, so your career length wouldn't be that long and your retirement wouldn't be that profound.    
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Big +1 on the knees
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:02:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, we know your not doing it for the money.  If you are not wanting to work for a big city (stl/kc/sprfd/col), no reason to not do it, if that is what you want to do.  The acedemy is going to take you at least a semester....or 600-800hrs depending on what level of hrs the acedemy you are going to is teaching.

600 and up is Class A and you can work anywhere in the state, except HP/WP/CC.  Anything below that is B (nobody teaches this anymore).  Anything below 450 is a class C.  (Really I think class C is only 120hrs).  

The State Parks are always hiring, so you can go that route also.  Lot's of places would love to have you.  Owning your own company for 12hrs and moving into LE....not sure about that.  All I can say, is good luck to you and enjoy it.  Nothing else, go through the academy....then get a reserve commission some where and have fun with it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:58:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Well, we know your not doing it for the money.  If you are not wanting to work for a big city (stl/kc/sprfd/col), no reason to not do it, if that is what you want to do.  The acedemy is going to take you at least a semester....or 600-800hrs depending on what level of hrs the acedemy you are going to is teaching.

600 and up is Class A and you can work anywhere in the state, except HP/WP/CC.  Anything below that is B (nobody teaches this anymore).  Anything below 450 is a class C.  (Really I think class C is only 120hrs).  

The State Parks are always hiring, so you can go that route also.  Lot's of places would love to have you.  Owning your own company for 12hrs and moving into LE....not sure about that.  All I can say, is good luck to you and enjoy it.  Nothing else, go through the academy....then get a reserve commission some where and have fun with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Class "C"????

I've never heard of a Class C certification.

When I went through the Academy it was a 120 Hour Course, but that was DECADES ago and I hold  a Missouri Class "B" Certification.

Back then you could work as an Officer for 364 days without an Academy Certification

One small town that was close by hired non-POST Certified officers and fired them after 50 weeks.

Back then Missouri had the shortest training requirements in the country, Arkansas was next at 250 hours.

Before 1996, Missouri didn't require any continuing education.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:34:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Class "C"????

When I went through the Academy it was a 120 Hour Course, but that was DECADES ago and I hold  a Missouri Class "B" Certification.

Back then you could work as an Officer for 364 days without an Academy Certification

One small town that was close by hired non-POST Certified officers and fired them after 50 weeks.

Back then Missouri had the shortest training requirements in the country, Arkansas was next at 250 hours.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Class "C"????

Hey SS,

LOL....Ya, they also added some new ones...D and R.  I think they just like making crap up to justify their positions. You can go read up about it on the DPS site.  http://www.dps.mo.gov/dir/programs/post/

Ya, well we have to keep up our racial profiling hours  Bunch of BS.  I think that is still law, about hiring somebody for a year, then either letting them go or they have to go to academy.  Dam, think about it...CE's are almost as long as your academy training was ...lol.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 3:12:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Law enforcement is a young mans job IMHO. Should be 25 years on job, then retirement no age restrictions IMHO. I spent 30 years on the Chicago Police Dept answering 911 calls. It isn't fun fighting with a 15 year old 220 pound 6'1" ghetto thug (in the best shape of his life and high to boot) when you are in your 40's or 50's. Then news media reports police beat a 15 year old, and the kid is severely hurt and they show his 8th grade graduation picture on the news. Been there done that. JMHO is all, and i could be wrong. But you have to do what you have to do, to feed the family and pay the mortgage. Good luck partner. Best advise i can give you on here.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 5:52:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Law enforcement is a young mans job IMHO. Should be 25 years on job, then retirement no age restrictions IMHO. I spent 30 years on the Chicago Police Dept answering 911 calls. It isn't fun fighting with a 15 year old 220 pound 6'1" ghetto thug (in the best shape of his life and high to boot) when you are in your 40's or 50's. Then news media reports police beat a 15 year old, and the kid is severely hurt and they show his 8th grade graduation picture on the news. Been there done that. JMHO is all, and i could be wrong. But you have to do what you have to do, to feed the family and pay the mortgage. Good luck partner. Best advise i can give you on here.
View Quote

Dam, bet you've heard some stuff.  30 years of 911 calls?

Yes, he could work dispatch, jail, front office...etc.  Doesn't have to work full time on the road and most likely would have to do one of those for a short time anyway, unless he got on at one of the rural departments.  Either way, he should do it now if that is what will make him happy.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:04:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Guys thank you for all the info/advice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top