Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2007 8:12:59 AM EDT
I pretty much sick and tired of Miami FL. I'm a native of the area but I cannot stand it anymore. the over crowding, high cost of living, traffic, and assholes. I'm hispanic yet I am starting to hate hispanic culture. I walk into a walmart to buy ammo and I ask the man behind to counter to get me some ammo and the first thing he does is say "Que?" and then just goes back to talking with his friend. Sorry, but this is the damn USA. SPEAK ENGLISH. My grandparents and parents learned how to when they came to the USA. Why the fuck can't the current group of immigrants do the same.

What is the housing market like in Brevard County? I'm looking at applying to Brevard County Sheriff's Office. They average about $35,000 a year. I'm currently a LEO down in Miami. Also I'm looking into transferring to Brevard County Community College... Good school?

How is traffic and the hustle of the area? Good folks there, any good places to go hunting and shooting?

What's the social life there for a 23 year old male? Lots of crappy clubs and stuck up women like Miami or a better down the Earth type of place?

Basically, I'm asking you fine folks to convince me to get the hell out of Miami.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:34:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:38:09 AM EDT
[#2]
get the hell outta Miami! You move to Brevard and I'll treat ya to a day at my gun club. If you like the place, I'll sponsor you to join up.

We also have a few good shooting ranges here as well.

TC6969 said it all about housing and women. Hell. I'm an old fat guy and I don't have any problems (other than the usual BS you get from women ).

Titusville PD had a sign out looking for officers awhile back. Dunno what they pay, but you could probably get 30-35K outta them.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:18:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks..... If I move up there I'll take you up on the offer.

I called BCSO and they're looking for folks. I'm also going to call some other departments and see if they're hiring. I'll post up a list of PDs soon.

If get the ball rolling now I might be up there by Spring or Summer of 2008. I need to finish my current term of classes and hunt down a place to live and get hired by a PD there. But yeah........ Seems better and better. I plan on heading up the weekend before Halloween. My friends are throwing a party and I figure I'll use that weekend to check out the place. See the towns and communities.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:20:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Bring something to shoot and we'll go to the club then- if you have time.

IM me before then and we can set up a meet.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:45:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks again for the offer... I'm pretty poor right now. But I can easily bring a couple of .22s. Nothing says fun like a couple 500rd boxes of .22LR for $10 a pop.

Been speaking to some folks and they all tell me the same thing. GET THE HELL OUT OF SOUTH FLORIDA.

Brevard County looks better and better just thinking about it. Went on a couple of the real estate websites to get a general idea of prices. What I have seen is that a 2 Bed + 2 Bath house goes for around $150,000. I just need to learn what areas I should looks into to.

What places should I look into moving to? What are the shitty neighborhoods and the good ones?

I'm planning on finish my schooling at a community and then getting the rest of my Four Year degree at a good University. What schools should I look into?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:53:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Come up to Brevard!  I just moved here too...let's start shooting!   Sounds familiar, my wife speaks Spanish but knows that everyone that moves to the US should learn Engrish.

Good areas IMHO:

Merritt Island
Indian Harbor Beach
Satellite Beach
Indialantic
Melbourne Beach
Viera
Melbourne (most parts)

I didn't mind these areas, but my wife didn't like:
Some parts of Melbourne
Palm Bay
West Melbourne
Cocoa

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:06:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Come up to Brevard!  I just moved here too...let's start shooting!   Sounds familiar, my wife speaks Spanish but knows that everyone that moves to the US should learn Engrish.

Good areas IMHO:

Merritt Island
Indian Harbor Beach
Satellite Beach
Indialantic
Melbourne Beach
Viera
Melbourne (most parts)

I didn't mind these areas, but my wife didn't like:
Some parts of Melbourne
Palm Bay
West Melbourne
Cocoa

Thanks!!!!!

That will help... So is it me or is everyone getting the hell out of South Florida?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:59:30 PM EDT
[#8]
yup your'e right, it's the Racial slur removed that have come in lately who wear their third world country central american flags over their cars, dont even attempt to learn english, don't pay taxes, and go out and march for some kind of amnesty to allow them to leach even more off of us. I was raised speaking ENGLISH by Cuban exile parents who came to this country in 59' looking to better themselves. Both my parents studies and learned english immedately and have/had professional careers. Not landscapers or trash haulers. Seems like the lot that have come this way recently are just looking for something for nothing and an easy living off of welfare and taxpayers, and they behave as they would in thier countries. Hate to say it but I too am ashamed of being hispanic when you look around at the rest of them.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:25:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thanks again for the offer... I'm pretty poor right now. But I can easily bring a couple of .22s. Nothing says fun like a couple 500rd boxes of .22LR for $10 a pop. Bring one. I have a gun you'll enjoy.. a .50 Beowulf. Ask DV8 how he liked it when he shot it...

Brevard County looks better and better just thinking about it. Went on a couple of the real estate websites to get a general idea of prices. What I have seen is that a 2 Bed + 2 Bath house goes for around $150,000. I just need to learn what areas I should looks into to.

What places should I look into moving to? What are the shitty neighborhoods and the good ones?

Shitty neighborhoods are East Mims; anyplace in central Cocoa between US-1 and Range Road; central Titusville between Harrison and South St. and Barna Ave,. and US-1; some of the north central areas of Merritt Island and some of north Rockledge. I consider the beach area a bad choice because of the high cost of insurance to own a home there. Some areas of Port St. John have got a bad rap because a bunch of brats were burgling cars for awhile.

Good areas: south and north Titusville, Port St. John (LOTS of cops live there), West Cocoa, West Melbourne, south and central Rockledge, north and south Merritt Island, Canaveral Groves, Cape Canaveral (even with the cost of insurance)

I'm planning on finish my schooling at a community and then getting the rest of my Four Year degree at a good University. What schools should I look into?
Webster University, Embry-Riddle, FIT and UCF are the main colleges, but you also have lots of choices with online college programs like University of Phoenix, Riddle, UCF and Webster offer.

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:22:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Wow, didn't know some many fellow Arfcom'rs were in Brevard. We may have to plan a shoot or something some time?

Like the others said, it is nice, and traffic isn't bad unless you hit 9am or 5pm, but it is usually broken up in about 30 min. BCC is a decenet school, I got my AA there and will be going into their police training at the Melbourne campus in the next year then hopefully going on the BCSO or Melbourne PD. You won't find too much hunting that I can think of (but I'm not really a hunter either) but it is only about a hour to and hour and a half away from some decent places that friends go. Social life isn't much, but if you are into that, downtown Orlando is only about an hour away and I guess people like that.

But since we are so close to the cape, there are more of us Space Shuttle Door Gunners.

ETA: I live in the middle of Rockledge, smack in the middle of the county. It is a good area, and the homes aren't overpriced.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 12:09:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
yup your'e right, it's the Racial slur removed that have come in lately who wear their third world country central american flags over their cars, dont even attempt to learn english, don't pay taxes, and go out and march for some kind of amnesty to allow them to leach even more off of us. I was raised speaking ENGLISH by Cuban exile parents who came to this country in 59' looking to better themselves. Both my parents studies and learned english immedately and have/had professional careers. Not landscapers or trash haulers. Seems like the lot that have come this way recently are just looking for something for nothing and an easy living off of welfare and taxpayers, and they behave as they would in thier countries. Hate to say it but I too am ashamed of being hispanic when you look around at the rest of them.

X2 -- I cant stand tis fucking place ---  But I want out REAL far away ... Im off to North GA or N Carolina.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:51:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Well all you Brevardians...

Let's get a shoot together!!
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:50:08 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm in!  Just name a date and place and I'll bring my toys.  I'd love to hear some suppressors, since I'm looking into picking one or two up...
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:33:03 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

X2 -- I cant stand tis fucking place ---  But I want out REAL far away ... Im off to North GA or N Carolina.

lol, are we all moving out of Miami? I'm considering the exact same thing, but either Tampa or South GA.

My only problem is I'm a systems/network admin. and jobs for us are few and far between.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 1:15:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Wow.... I thought I was the only one here that hated Miami. I spoke to many of my non-firearm friends and they all agree too. One buddy of mine is in the aircraft industry. He's looking at Brevard County because of large companies there like Boeing, Lockheed Martin, and Northrop Grumman. Also the fact that it is Space Coast USA. NASA is a big factor in aviation.

Another buddy of mine is looking to moving there because of the real estate market. He does architecture and construction management. Yeah, Miami is a place that is growing but you can't make any money if you're a little guy. All the projects in Miami are being done by big names like Lennar Homes.

I really think that this might be what I really need in life.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:08:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Move up to Jacksonville.  It's like Georgia without income tax and the accent.  I can't think of any place else in Florida I'd rather live.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:55:41 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Another buddy of mine is looking to moving there because of the real estate market. He does architecture and construction management. Yeah, Miami is a place that is growing but you can't make any money if you're a little guy. All the projects in Miami are being done by big names like Lennar Homes.

I currently work in an engineering (for  architecture) office, and work between Daytona to Vero Beach hasn't slowed like most everywhere else, if it is a factor for your buddy. We are always swamped, as well as most of the architects we work with.

And I'm up for a shooting outing whenever.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:06:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I live in Rockledge, I didn't realize so many ARFCOMers lived up this way. COOL.

I do some business with a Realtor who is decent if you are looking to go that route. Send me a PM and I can get you her number. She is also doing some volunteer work to help vets who are wounded in action special medical care and such.

Housing:
I would avoid Cocoa and Viera and Palm Bay. Palm Bay is way spread out, lots of driving time to get anywhere shitty infrastructure. But they do have an awesome gun range that is the size of a small village. Only redeemable feature.

Cocoa is the Ghetto. Nuff said

Viera was built on a swamp, used to be called a mini tornado alley, but is a more ritzy area. But could have flooding and weather issues. The houses were all built in the boom and lots are for sale. Brevard was one of the top 5 counties in the USA for inflated house prices and I know of TONS of people who are loosing their houses. One buddy had tons of problems getting into his ( never ready on time and lots of cut corners too). So if you buy out there get a really good inspection. I hear they just put em up as fast as they could.

I have watched rent prices drop 25% in the last 6 months. I would personally try to rent for a year before buying from what I hear we are just beginning to see the value slide. It is starting to get affordable again. 25-40% of the new houses built in the last couple years were investment houses and they are getting desperate.

I can't say much about the club scene There are some decent bars and such.

You WILL see the handwritten signs for houses , we don't have a huge problem with illegals, though from what I hear from longer term residents is that it was worse than it was, but I don't see much of it at all. I also hear rumors that the high prices in the south are driving more of them up north to this and other areas but I personally don't see it.

There are some good gun shops and pawn shops. Some good places to eat, We are close to Orlando for fun things to do.

Melbourne is ok but I like Rockledge and Titusville the best.

We should get a Brevard Shoot going some time!
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:08:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

lol, are we all moving out of Miami? I'm considering the exact same thing, but either Tampa or South GA.

My only problem is I'm a systems/network admin. and jobs for us are few and far between.

Tell me about it I do the same thing. I went out on my own. Not much of any work for that in Brevard.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:13:02 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks again for the offer... I'm pretty poor right now. But I can easily bring a couple of .22s. Nothing says fun like a couple 500rd boxes of .22LR for $10 a pop. Bring one. I have a gun you'll enjoy.. a .50 Beowulf. Ask DV8 how he liked it when he shot it...

Shitty neighborhoods are East Mims; anyplace in central Cocoa between US-1 and Range Road; central Titusville between Harrison and South St. and Barna Ave,. and US-1; some of the north central areas of Merritt Island and some of north Rockledge. I consider the beach area a bad choice because of the high cost of insurance to own a home there. Some areas of Port St. John have got a bad rap because a bunch of brats were burgling cars for awhile.

Good areas: south and north Titusville, Port St. John (LOTS of cops live there), West Cocoa, West Melbourne, south and central Rockledge, north and south Merritt Island, Canaveral Groves, Cape Canaveral (even with the cost of insurance)

Webster University, Embry-Riddle, FIT and UCF are the main colleges, but you also have lots of choices with online college programs like University of Phoenix, Riddle, UCF and Webster offer.

Buddy lives on Range Road. It was a less expensive area and the higher housing prices pushed the ghetto out of some areas of Cocoa and into that area. Plus they are getting more and more illegals out that way. He is looking to move soon. Kid -13yr old girl got beat up by illegals, Truck broken into several times, stuff stolen from the property in a place 2 years ago you didn't need to lock your house.

I would avoid Cocoa unless it is around some of the campus area.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:25:05 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Buddy lives on Range Road. It was a less expensive area and the higher housing prices pushed the ghetto out of some areas of Cocoa and into that area. Plus they are getting more and more illegals out that way. He is looking to move soon. Kid -13yr old girl got beat up by illegals, Truck broken into several times, stuff stolen from the property in a place 2 years ago you didn't need to lock your house.

I would avoid Cocoa unless it is around some of the campus area.

As long as it is WEST of the college. Most of the neighborhoods immediately east have too many crackheads and wannabe gangbangers- Dixon to SR-520 to US-1 is a place to avoid living in.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:54:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Move to the island!!  There's not really a bad spot around here!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top