User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2011 8:26:49 PM EDT
What are the must see places near by?

Kid friendly?

Historical, educational?
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 2:27:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Wallowa Lake is a neat place to visit, although this time of year, most kid friendly things like the bumper boats, go-karts, and paddle boat rentals might be closed for the season.  The gondola ride up Mt. Howard is cool, but might be closed.  Joseph has a lot of art vendors, and is generally nice.  Wish I had more info. for you.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 2:29:34 PM EDT
[#2]
When do you plan on going?  I'm going camping at Wallowa Lake State Park in 3 weeks with a friend.  We plan mostly day hiking in the mountains surrounding the area.  

You could also consider a side trip to Hell's Canyon.

Apparently there's a lot of wildlife in the area to see.  Trailcams took pictures of a pack or two of Oregon wolves in the area this summer.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:33:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to live there.  Not much tourist stuff after labor day.  Hiking trails should be open.  Be prepared for all kinds of weather, including sub-freezing weather, snow, sleet, high wind, thunderstorms, etc.  Deer season opens this weekend, so be aware of that.  If you  like beer, Terminal Gravity Brewing in Enterprise is a good stop.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:08:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:15:06 PM EDT
[#5]
The name Wallowa is Nez Perce for 'fish trap'.  The Nez Perce used to camp on the lake, long ago and Chief Joesph Sr. is buried on the north end of the lake.... although he is missing his skull.  While he was buried down the road from there, someone robbed his grave and took his skull.  I think it's sitting somewhere on the east coast, part of a  'skull and bones' ritual that those Bush and Clinton types go through when being indoctrinated into the elite of the elite club...... WOW, did I digress!!!
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:21:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The name Wallowa is Nez Perce for 'fish trap'.  The Nez Perce used to camp on the lake, long ago and Chief Joesph Sr. is buried on the north end of the lake.... although he is missing his skull.  While he was buried down the road from there, someone robbed his grave and took his skull.  I think it's sitting somewhere on the east coast, part of a  'skull and bones' ritual that those Bush and Clinton types go through when being indoctrinated into the elite of the elite club...... WOW, did I digress!!!

I thought that was Geronimo's skull.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top