Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2006 2:24:56 PM EDT
Well, the topic says it all, but I have some questions before I head down there.  I'll be driving from NY on Thur. and have until Tuesday to check out TN, SC,VA, and if I have time, NC.  

I'm focusing on VA, due to the close proximity to the mtns.

1.  What are some areas, small in population(~50K), that are close to Roanoke that are worth checking out?  My desires are to buy some property, so hopefully it is affordable.

2.  What are the taxes like?  Say on a $200K piece of property?

3.  I'm into mountainbiking, streetbikes, and dirtbikes.  Hiking, shooting, hunting, and camping are all up my alley.  Which towns are these activities available in?

4.  Weather, how is the seasons?  Is is mad humid in the summer?  Freezing in the winter?  Lots of rain/snow?  Alot of sunny days?

Thanks guys...

John
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:58:49 PM EDT
[#1]
1.   Close to Roanoke   --  Blacksburg/Christiansburg area  (college town - Va Tech )
                                           Bristol (Nascar and where i grew up)
                                           Lynchburg (Jerry Town)
                                           Charolttesville (College town - UVA )

2.  Taxes are not bad.    Personal Property rates on houses/land run from $0.80 to $1.20 per $100

3.  Any.  All are "in the mountains"

4.  If you don't like the Wx then just wait five minutes.    Summer in the mountains is better than in eastern VA.  Not as humid or hot.    Winters can be worse but probably nothing compared to NY.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:04:45 PM EDT
[#2]
check out harrisonburg, lexington, and the staunton/waynesboro areas too...i love the valley...i live just on the other side...

if i had my way I would retire in Charlottesville...has everything I need
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:07:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I live in eastern VA and therefore cannot provide you with much detail.  But since you are coming from NY I can say you will feel liberated on all 4 points.  You will definately find what you are looking for in western VA.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top