Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2006 3:30:26 PM EDT
So here are a few pics of the quality work that the subs are doing on my place.

The skylight was framed too large and then resized after the roofers had been there and done a great job on the roof. The end result was the pic above. What someone did was to just bend the flashing over and tack it to the framing of the skylight rather than pull the roofing up and reposition the flashing. I think the framer was the one that did the Pan metal for the skylight but Im not sure.

This really made me happy to see;

The plumbers are the ones that cut in the vents.

By the time this is over and if we ever make it through a final inspection I will have probably pulled my hair out. Years ago I worked with a roofer that did work like that; I was young and didn't think much of it other than that the guy was a shit head. Now after spending my hard earned money to have someone come out and basically take a shit all over me I can see how this process is going to go.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:42:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Holy rat bastard, Batman! Show that stuff to the general and explain to him he needs to reign in his subs or he isn't getting paid in full. If they are doing stuff like that on areas that show, what are they doing in areas that bury?

Non pride in their work takin mofo's.

ETA: Are those staples in the bottom of the vent flange in the bottom picture? If they are, make sure they get some bear shit on them.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:54:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Holy rat bastard, Batman! Show that stuff to the general and explain to him he needs to reign in his subs or he isn't getting paid in full. If they are doing stuff like that on areas that show, what are they doing in areas that bury?

Non pride in their work takin mofo's.

Your telling me man. Get this; the roofers showed up and basically just tacked all the pan metal back into place instead of replacing it and they then took the two full sheets of pan metal I had on site with them. If this is the kind of work they do I am in for a long haul.

This one is kind of funny; The framer framed the mandoor in my garage wrong and its too tall. His General leaves him a note about it telling him it needs to be re done. So instead of fixing his framing he decides he is going to rechalk new grade lines in my garage (for the concrete floor) so that the man door will fit. What he doesn't bother to think about is the fact I am getting an 8 foot garage door and that I have a hole in my foundation that I would be filling in for a heat pump should I change the grade I already set in the first place.

I can't wait for this to be over with.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:09:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
mandoor

Who's building your house, Gehy Construction?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:19:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
mandoor

Weren't you in the navy? Mandoor = hatch, as opposed to a rollup "garage" door. Mandoor differientiates between a common walk through door and any other type door in the same buiding.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:39:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
mandoor

Weren't you in the navy? Mandoor = hatch, as opposed to a rollup "garage" door. Mandoor differientiates between a common walk through door and any other type door in the same buiding.  

Big garage door - car.
Little garage door - walk through.

I don't get technical anymore.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:28:38 PM EDT
[#6]
If I remember right, you're out on a couple of acres of your own land, not in any kind of a subdivision where the same builder is doing all the construction, and are you the general contractor, or did you hire one?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:39:31 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If I remember right, you're out on a couple of acres of your own land, not in any kind of a subdivision where the same builder is doing all the construction, and are you the general contractor, or did you hire one?

I have a General, he got an earfull last night. I was pissed and probably should have waited to call when I had cooled down some but that kind of "craftmanship" is going to drive me to screaming and raving at some point.

The sub that is doing the plumbing fitted those drainage vents and cut them in. They will be out there today and I really want to go out and chew their asses for doing such shitty work. I think with going through a General though that I should should just vent on him and let him do the ass chewing. That's why he is the General Contractor after all.

The skylight pan metal I almost expected. I thought maybe they would do the right thing and tear out the existing pan and fit in new but obviously I was reaching with my expectations. Oh well, I'll be climbing up their asses from here on out it appears. Hopefully the General can light a fire under their asses.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:31:52 AM EDT
[#8]

What seems to be the major malfunction between the General and the subs that all his crews are doing shit work??

P.S.- I dont want to see the conrete work until after its all hard.

And you know, honestly, I see it everyday. They shit on poeple and its funny to them. Sad, really sad.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:14:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a General, he got an earfull last night. I was pissed and probably should have waited to call when I had cooled down some but that kind of "craftmanship" is going to drive me to screaming and raving at some point.

Stick with that plan.  Document everything, and bring up every little problem with the GC.  That is part of what they are getting paid for.  It's you're house to live in, and he gets to go away when he is done.  Make sure he knows what you expect from him and his sub's before he is done.  Will you have a written warranty for all the labor when the house is completed?

You may want to do some checking at this point ot see if the GC's bond doesn't already have a claim against it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:57:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Take a look here for more info on your contractor. If you want to know his history and ratings, as well as claims etc.
https://fortress.wa.gov/lni/bbip/

As for Man door, you are correct in you verbage. In construction a man door is just that, a regular sized man operated ingress/egress door as opposed to rollup, fold up, etc.

I am sure you know to hold back funds on the job as you go, typically called retainage, not as common with homeowner house building, but holding back the remainder at the end of the job till all your issues are resolved works. He who holds the gold makes the rules... Create a "punch list" at the end of the job, this is basically a list of all the things you find that you do not find acceptable. Give this to the general to resolve, it is up to him to fix these problems.

Good luck, I am sure you will end up with a great house though. It's all part of the fun in building.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:00:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I think you mean "the joys of HAVING a house built" .... if you built it yourself you would be satisfied with the quality of the work.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:42:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I am sure you know to hold back funds on the job as you go, typically called retainage, not as common with homeowner house building, but holding back the remainder at the end of the job till all your issues are resolved works. He who holds the gold makes the rules... Create a "punch list" at the end of the job, this is basically a list of all the things you find that you do not find acceptable. Give this to the general to resolve, it is up to him to fix these problems.

Good advice, but make the "punch list" as work is done.  If you wait until the project is near completion, you may not find hidden issues.  Also, be prepared to pay for materials, I'm sure you may already know this, but the materials supplier has a lien on your property if you don't pay for what they deliver.  Hold back anything but this, and demand proof of cost/reciepts when asked for this money.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:54:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Awesome advice guys thanks!

I am taking pics like a mofo and either the issues will be addressed as we go or the general is getting one hell of a punch list at the end. One third of the funds for the house are not payable until the final inspection is complete so I do have some leverage with this.

I was under the house today inspecting the plumbing/drainage that was put in and all of that looks good. The plumbers tested the lines and everything came out good. I made a comment about the roof vents and boots but as I thought I didn't get any response. The general will have to take them to task on that. He didn't call me back today which was a bit unnerving but Im thinking I may just print up the things I find unacceptable and leave a punch list for him to look over when he comes out to look over his subs work.

ArfArf you are indeed correct; I would be much more pleased with things if I were doing this. I really wish I could and it somewhat unnerves me that I can't due to time and mostly physical limitations. I'm sure in the end things will work out. I won't settle for crappy work and I can make the payments and not live in it for a long long time if that is what needs to happen.

Again thanks for the insight guys.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:38:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Awesome advice guys thanks!

I am taking pics like a mofo and either the issues will be addressed as we go or the general is getting one hell of a punch list at the end. One third of the funds for the house are not payable until the final inspection is complete so I do have some leverage with this.

I was under the house today inspecting the plumbing/drainage that was put in and all of that looks good. The plumbers tested the lines and everything came out good. I made a comment about the roof vents and boots but as I thought I didn't get any response. The general will have to take them to task on that. He didn't call me back today which was a bit unnerving but Im thinking I may just print up the things I find unacceptable and leave a punch list for him to look over when he comes out to look over his subs work.

ArfArf you are indeed correct; I would be much more pleased with things if I were doing this. I really wish I could and it somewhat unnerves me that I can't due to time and mostly physical limitations. I'm sure in the end things will work out. I won't settle for crappy work and I can make the payments and not live in it for a long long time if that is what needs to happen.

Again thanks for the insight guys.

Be careful what you axe for! You would just have different challenges. You would however have more control of the subs, instead of hoping the general took care of them.

Having just built my place myself, I can't complain about the quality, but the builder was a dick sometimes. Here is a pic of the sub I am most dissapointed in. Usually it only takes an insignificnt ammount of effort to do things correctly. Why some people don't take more pride in their work is beyond me.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:47:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Here is a pic of the sub I am most dissapointed in. Usually it only takes an insignificnt ammount of effort to do things correctly. Why some people don't take more pride in their work is beyond me.

im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6dd29b3127cce97cbe05579f400000016108IbNG7Zu4ba

Other than having a 5 yr old on the big tractor, what did he/they do wrong?

And you are close to correct. Usually it takes no longer to do something correctly. The thing I see daily (If you only knew what I saw today) is low bidder who has no clue.

Most people screw themselves hiring dilrods who are luck to find the job, let alone actually know hwat they are really doing.

BTW- Today I saw as easy 10K job, not only done wrong, but poorly done wrong. And the owner hired them himself. And was there. And none of them together could buy a clue from Vanna White.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:55:19 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Other than having a 5 yr old on the big tractor, what did he/they do wrong?

I didn't want to totally hijack bosifus' thread so I didn't post all the bird baths they put in the asphalt, or the areas I could dig a hole in with the toe of my boot, or the asphalt and hand smudges on the siding, or the grade running the wrong way, etc. I only paid them just over half and told the owners son to call me to work out the difference. No call from him, so I call and leave a message. Still havn't heard form him, so as long as he doesn't lein me, I guess it's all good. If he does lein me, it's off to court we go.

ETA: I called the auditors office to see if a lein was filed. I was suprised to find out how easy it is to file a lein on someone. No documentation or judgment required. WTF?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:57:47 PM EDT
[#17]

ETA: I called the auditors office to see if a lein was filed. I was suprised to find out how easy it is to file a lein on someone. No documentation or judgment required. WTF?

True, but he penalties for filing a baseless lien are quite large, I wouldn't recommend anyone get lien happy.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:12:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top