Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2006 10:18:51 AM EDT
I have an annoying habit (to me) of being slow to catch onto good ideas. So it wasn't until very recently that I tried a Glock and you know what? I liked it. I bought a 21, which I liked, but it is just a tad too big for my hand. My USP in .45 is perfect. I sold the 21 and picked up a 17, which I love. The more I shoot it the better I get with it. The grip isn't natural to me and I'm finally finding how I like to hold it. I just shot at Gun third World for lunch and I went through 300 rounds between my 9mm USP and the 17. The USP is more accurate, but I shoot quickly better with the Glock. So now I guess I'll have to buy another Glock or two.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:41:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Not a huge Glock fan, but glad you like it. The more guns the better.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:34:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Good to see you're choosing what you shoot best.  Although Glocks do not fit me worth a damn, I cannot think of two finer firearms to have to choose between.  

If you decide you want to unload that USP 9mm, let me know
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:05:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Speaking of Gun World, if you're not busy, I'm going there tomorrow.

I have a G19, I don't shoot it very well at all...not sure what it is.

I had a USP, regretted purchasing it and I am very happy that I sold it.

I've got a new (to me) SIG P226R DAK to break in tomorrow though, my 2nd SIG. (The other is sans rail and DA/SA).
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:07:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have an annoying habit (to me) of being slow to catch onto good ideas. So it wasn't until very recently that I tried a Glock and you know what? I liked it. I bought a 21, which I liked, but it is just a tad too big for my hand. My USP in .45 is perfect. I sold the 21 and picked up a 17, which I love. The more I shoot it the better I get with it. The grip isn't natural to me and I'm finally finding how I like to hold it. I just shot at Gun third World for lunch and I went through 300 rounds between my 9mm USP and the 17. The USP is more accurate, but I shoot quickly better with the Glock. So now I guess I'll have to buy another Glock or two.

Hit the nail on the head w/ those two statements.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:09:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've often wondered why everyone is concerned with the accuracy of a combat pistol.  Every pistol I own is way more accurate than I am anyway.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:53:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the kind offer Marksman, but I'll keep the USP, I love it!

NPD, Don't be afraid of the dark side. Yes, the grip is strange, but after the slide took a chunk of flesh off of my left thumb I found a grip I really like and is far less painful. Another counter-intuitive thing about the Glock is letting the slide fly on a fresh mag and not manually setting a safety or decocking it to put it into a safe mode. I chewed the crap out of the bullseye at 30' with the USP, that thing is smoking accurate.

Tim, let me know if you want to get rid of the Glock 19, maybe we can work something out.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:59:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks for the kind offer Marksman, but I'll keep the USP, I love it!

NPD, Don't be afraid of the dark side. Yes, the grip is strange, but after the slide took a chunk of flesh off of my left thumb I found a grip I really like and is far less painful. Another counter-intuitive thing about the Glock is letting the slide fly on a fresh mag and not manually setting a safety or decocking it to put it into a safe mode. I chewed the crap out of the bullseye at 30' with the USP, that thing is smoking accurate.

Tim, let me know if you want to get rid of the Glock 19, maybe we can work something out.  

I'm not afraid... but like you said, the damn grip is not natural. I've owned two of them and I hate how the backstrap chews the hell out of my thumb knuckle. I've sold one off (a 22) and will probably keep the other one (a 27) simply due to the fact that for the most part it's reliable and small. I do not like shooting it, though.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:15:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've often wondered why everyone is concerned with the accuracy of a combat pistol.  Every pistol I own is way more accurate than I am anyway.

Don't worry, one day I'll show you why, if we ever make it to the range.  

The way I see it, in the case of HK vs Glock, I'm not sacrificing any reliability for the gain in accuracy.  So why not have it?  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:39:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I had two glocks (17C and a 22) but I could never get the hang of shooting them well.

I can't stand the way they look or balance but I came away utterly impressed with the way the USP 40 I tried shot. It is simply a great gun.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:42:10 PM EDT
[#10]
HandyAndy-

Another great idea that you might decide to pick up on is the CZ75. I am picking up the new
75 SP01 model saturday, and you are welcome to try it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:43:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I absolutely love my USP .45, and just about everyone who has shot it does as well. My dad's comment was "I never liked the .45 until I shot yours."

Glocks are good guns, and I won't badmouth them, but I won't own one either. I can't get past the fact that the trigger feels like one of those sucker dart guns I had when I was a kid. JMHO and YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:05:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
My dad's comment was "I never liked the .45 until I shot yours."

HAHAHAHAHHHAHAH. That is EXACTLY what my dad said about my TAC.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:11:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Not to disappoint but that'll probably never happen.  It's the smallest/lightest gun I own so the most comfortable to carry.  That's the main reason I intend to keep it despite that I don't shoot it as well as I do my other pistols.

Quoted:
The way I see it, in the case of HK vs Glock, I'm not sacrificing any reliability for the gain in accuracy.  So why not have it?  

Honestly, I wouldn't know.  The trigger was so bad on my USP that I never shot it any more accurately than I do my Glock.  Knowing that you own a nice 1911, I wonder why you like the USP so much.  I guess it's said that everyone finds a pistol that really suits them and they shoot that one much better than all of the others.  For you it might be your USP.  For me it's my 1911, and while I am trying to practice with other pistols, I still can't figure out why the 1911 is so damn easy to shoot.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:56:25 PM EDT
[#14]
My only problem with glocks, is this..... they tend to multiply.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:06:43 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

At least they're cheaper to raise and feed than 1911's.

But I like my 1911's. time for another one in the stable.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:10:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

At least they're cheaper to raise and feed than 1911's.

But I like my 1911's. time for another one in the stable.

x2.  One thing we can agree on!

I've never fired a smaller 1911, but I think I might have to add a commander sized one to my collection.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:47:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Oh brother I have been there too. About two years ago I was converted to the Glock world about two years ago.

Now I know the truth, the Glock 21 is hands down the finest combat pistol in the world.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:49:07 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because in a hostage situation, every 1/4" counts.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:53:28 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

IMHO, you will learn with practice, that a Glock is just as accurate as an HK, which I have several magazines lying around that have run the test, if I need to list a source. Both fine pistols but the Glock 21 holds more ammo than the HK pistol and is cheaper. They are both excellent guns but with a bit more practice, you will see just how amazingly accurate Glocks are.

The USP and Glock are both awesome guns. No need to argue which one is better, I simply prefer Glocks.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:02:30 AM EDT
[#20]
I agree with Patriot...I was out this last weekend with 4 of my pistols...Taurus 92, Sig 226, HK USP full-size, and Glock 17...all 9mm handguns. While the HK USP has the best trigger pull by far, I was getting more consistent hits on the metal plates with my Glock. I also found out that I SUCK with a pistol as far as accuracy, and need to practice a lot more with my pistols.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:05:11 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not to disappoint but that'll probably never happen.  It's the smallest/lightest gun I own so the most comfortable to carry.  That's the main reason I intend to keep it despite that I don't shoot it as well as I do my other pistols.

Quoted:

Honestly, I wouldn't know.  The trigger was so bad on my USP that I never shot it any more accurately than I do my Glock.  Knowing that you own a nice 1911, I wonder why you like the USP so much.  I guess it's said that everyone finds a pistol that really suits them and they shoot that one much better than all of the others.  For you it might be your USP.  For me it's my 1911, and while I am trying to practice with other pistols, I still can't figure out why the 1911 is so damn easy to shoot.

Tim,

If you ever want to ditch that Kimber give me a holler. I loved the way that thing shot. Made me look like a pro.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:53:13 PM EDT
[#22]
GP 100 , never let me down. ,    It's not like we get to CC here ,  ....HAHHAHAHAHAA .

I ' m sticking to my  well , 45    and Ruger. GP.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 1:01:26 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tim,

If you ever want to ditch that Kimber give me a holler. I loved the way that thing shot. Made me look like a pro.

Sorry man, no can do.  You can try to pry it from my cold dead fingers if you beat the next man to it.  God damn that thing is a shooter.  I just can't find anything else like it.

I tend to think it's the overtravel stop, but I have no idea.  All I know is that it's one hell of a shooter.

It's funny, because the guy I loaned it to before you saw me blasting ragged holes in the target and wanted to try it,  He tried it, and he must have been a flinchmaster because every shot was low-left.  His boss was there (he worked for a security company) and IMMEDIATELY offered me a job.  Too bad it only paid $21 an hour or I'd have been all over it.

I just wish I shot the rest of my handguns like I do the Kimber.

Quoted:
Oh brother I have been there too. About two years ago I was converted to the Glock world about two years ago.

Now I know the truth, the Glock 21 is hands down the finest combat pistol in the world.

Have a 19, just can't shoot it like the 1911.  Just ask Drobs.  I even tried his 17.  No dice.  I can't shoot anything like my 1911.  I really want to say I can shoot nasty small groups with my SIGs or Glock, or even my S&W 586, but it's just not there, honestly.  Nothing shoots like my Kimber.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:30:49 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

It's funny, because the guy I loaned it to before you saw me blasting ragged holes in the target and wanted to try it,  He tried it, and he must have been a flinchmaster because every shot was low-left.  His boss was there (he worked for a security company) and IMMEDIATELY offered me a job.  Too bad it only paid $21 an hour or I'd have been all over it.

Sure, rub it in Tim, rub it in.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:12:07 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's the only confidence-boosting handgun I have.  The others require massive concentration just to hit the general area.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:23:05 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
It's the only confidence-boosting handgun I have.  The others require massive concentration just to hit the general area.

What model Kimber is it Tim?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 1:55:56 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well shit, I need a summer job.  What company was it?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:18:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Do you guys ever go shoot under the clock? Do you know what gun you shoot best with when you have to make fast, multiple, accurate hits? Which one is quicker to reload? Which gun/holster combo is better?
Shooting from a fixed position at a stationary target is no real test of a combat pistol. If pure accuracy is the only standard that applies, go get a Contender.
You guys who aren't doing any competitive shooting are missing out.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:36:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Practice, practice, practice....Though I don't have a Glock and have never shot one, I had similar issues with my Beretta 92FS. I can shoot raggedy holes with most my handguns but have always had a difficult time being accurate and consistant. I just could never get nice groupings...I'd hit the target alright... fist sized groups on a 9 inch paper plate at defense distances, just not as accurate as my 1911, GP100 etc...I finally figured out that it is very finicky about wrist control, that and the fact that it usually sits in the bedside drawer as mrsmacks house gun so I didn't shoot it much either.
Well after another range trip and watching mrsmack blow the crap out of the target left handed even, I decided I was gonna start shooting it more. I started taking it out every range trip and putting at least 100 rounds through it. Guess what??? I shoot it much better, still not as tightly as my 1911 or GP100, but much much better than before. I also have found that strangely enough, I shoot it better weak hand....go figure....IMO, any gun you are not intimately familiar with you will more than likely shoot less accurately than your favorite gun...Enjoy the Glock...I would one day like to try shooting one myself....mack
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:14:33 PM EDT
[#30]
I think you misunderstood me the first time so I fixed it.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Too bad it only paid $21 an hour or I'd have been all over it.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:34:45 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I think you misunderstood me the first time so I fixed it.

Hmm......

You have a bachelor's degree, correct?

Because the US Postal Service's Inspector Genera'l's office had a job starting at $114k/year that looked really interesting but a college degree wasn't optional.

If you're college-educated and you think $21 an hour (or any hourly job for that matter) is good pay, hit up www.usajobs.com

There are tons of jobs in the government that pay a reasonable wage. (as in, in the range of what the national average is for college-educated folks)

Quoted:
Well shit, I need a summer job.  What company was it?

I have the business card in my pocket and I talked to the manager of the Chicago branch.  Law enforcement and/or military experience is an absolute requirement as it's an armed position.

If you're qualified, IM me and I'll give you the contact details.

Quoted:
What model Kimber is it Tim?

Heritage, aka, a regular Classic Custom Series I that had some silly fancy grips on it when I got it that I have since replaced with VZ grips.

It's just your regular boring parkerized series one Kimber with ambies, skeltonized trigger/hammer, overtravel stop, fixed sights, etc.  Nothing fancy, I paid $675+tax for it.

It's nothing special but it sure is easy to shoot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top