Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2011 6:03:52 PM EDT
Well... It's official... I was dead wrong about how CCW would pan out and Flame was right.... I have to say, I'm really surprised they passed it and even more surprised at how well written the bill was...

Now if you'll excuse me, I just saw a dead crow out on  the street in front of the house.... need to get my Cholula..

But technically, they didn't get it done in the spring, but on the first day of summer........
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:11:56 PM EDT
[#1]
It takes a big man to admit he's wrong.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:25:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I think we're all so happy nobody gives a flying fuck...
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:40:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I think we're all so happy nobody gives a flying fuck...

Yup... I took the same position as Flamethrower did... and right now I'm not in the "I told you so" frame of mind.... other than bragging about my vote predictions. I predicted right here (unedited) that the committee vote would be 12-4, the Senate would be 22-11 (I NEVER thought Jauch and Taylor would vote yes), and the Assembly prediction was 70-29 (the actual final Assembly tally, with the "paired" voters added, is 70-28).    

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:48:18 PM EDT
[#4]
To be honest, I forgot for that people were saying it was going to pass either never or a long time from now.

As AJ said, who cares

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:19:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Well... It's official... I was dead wrong about how CCW would pan out and Flame was right.... I have to say, I'm really surprised they passed it and even more surprised at how well written the bill was...

Now if you'll excuse me, I just saw a dead crow out on  the street in front of the house.... need to get my Cholula..

But technically, they didn't get it done in the spring, but on the first day of summer........

Thanks Harv. I had to poke a little, but in actuality we both won. It's about time.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:20:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 4:11:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks Harv. I had to poke a little, but in actuality we both won. It's about time.

I hear ya.. if there was ever something I was glad to be wrong about.... This topic was the one...

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 4:19:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I was wrong about Todd being right once... does that count?
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 4:27:28 AM EDT
[#9]
would be nice if they did away with all casing requirements, but oh well. good start.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 4:33:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
would be nice if they did away with all casing requirements, but oh well. good start.

What are the requirements?
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 4:46:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

From what i've read, it only exempts handguns. All other firearms still need to be unloaded and encased. I will be very happy if someone can prove me wrong.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 6:19:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From what i've read, it only exempts handguns. All other firearms still need to be unloaded and encased. I will be very happy if someone can prove me wrong.

Technically, it's worse than that. If you have a long gun (or don't have a permit with a handgun), you'll have to >LOCK< your firearm in a case when passing through a GFSZ.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 6:31:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Technically, it's worse than that. If you have a long gun (or don't have a permit with a handgun), you'll have to >LOCK< your firearm in a case when passing through a GFSZ.

Here is what I am reading:

http://legis.wisconsin.gov/insession/insessiondocs/lcmemos/SB-93LCMemo.pdf

Under the substitute amendment, it is a Class I felony to knowingly possess a firearm at a place
that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is in or on the grounds of a school. Under
the substitute amendment, it is a Class B forfeiture to possess a firearm at a place the individual knows,
or has reasonable cause to believe, is within 1,000 feet of the grounds of a school.
The substitute amendment repeals all the conditions under which an individual may possess a
firearm in a school zone except the following:
The firearm is not loaded and is encased or in a locked firearms rack that is on a motor
vehicle.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 7:22:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Under the substitute amendment, it is a Class I felony to knowingly possess a firearm at a place
that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is in or on the grounds of a school. Under
the substitute amendment, it is a Class B forfeiture to possess a firearm at a place the individual knows,
or has reasonable cause to believe, is within 1,000 feet of the grounds of a school.
The substitute amendment repeals all the conditions under which an individual may possess a
The firearm is not loaded and is encased or in a locked firearms rack that is on a motor
vehicle.

So what your saying is I need to build a lock-able gun rack for my Honda Accord.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 7:25:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

vehicle.

So what your saying is I need to build a lock-able gun rack for my Honda Accord.

I think the key word in there is "or".  You can do either one.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 7:28:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

vehicle.

My honda is gonna look awesome with a AR on the inside of the roof.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 7:44:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't quite fully understand that portion, as it is my understanding that the gun case law only exempts handguns. So, the "locked rack" would work for an unlicensed individual passing through a school zone with a handgun. But the gun case law still requires that long guns be cased.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 9:15:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't quite fully understand that portion, as it is my understanding that the gun case law only exempts handguns. So, the "locked rack" would work for an unlicensed individual passing through a school zone with a handgun. But the gun case law still requires that long guns be cased.

SB93 did not alter nor repeal the part of 167.31 and 941.23 that pertains to long-guns. Old rules still apply to long-guns. The language of the State level GFSZ law was deleted and replaced with the federal GFSZ language, with the exception that the section of the fed GFSZ law that required unloaded and LOCKED cases was not carried over to State laws. The "LOCKED case" required under fed laws was removed from what the State copied.

So it is still legal to transport a long-gun through a GFSZ unloaded and encased under State law (fed law has always, and continues to,  require a locked case for all firearms, but fed law "excepts" permittees). If you do not have a permit, then handguns must also be unloaded and encased to travel through a 1,000' GFSZ under both laws. If you have a permit, you can traverse a 1,000' GFSZ with your handgun loaded and not cased under both laws.

Fed GFSZ law requires: all firearms must be unloaded and in a locked container, (or a locked gun-rack)  unless you have a cc permit from the State the school is located in. The new WI law has a statement that all out-of-state permittees are considered to be licensed by WI for this purpose.

New WI GFSZ law requires that all firearms must be unloaded and encased (locked case not required) or unloaded and in a locked gun-rack. A permittee from WI (or any out-of-state permit recognized by WI ) may have a handgun uncased and loaded. Long guns must still be unloaded and encased, permit or not.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top