Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2006 6:34:27 PM EDT
I'm about to go about having a well drilled on my property in Laurens Co.

The old farm house I grew up in in N. GA hand a hand dug well that was installed long before I came along.

I lived in another home in N. GA that got it's water directly from an above ground spring.

For the last 20 years I've lived in houses that were supplied by city or county water.

This will be my 1st well drilling experience.

What should I expect to pay on average. I know the prices will vary wildly so I'm not looking for exact figures.

What type of well is best for the sandy soil in southern part of middle GA.

What should I look for in a boring contractor.

Any recommendations for the Laurens Co. area.

Thanks
TD
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:08:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Your locall well company will know if a bored or drilled well will provide the best supply of water in your area.
Drilled wells usually offer advantages over bored wells.
Check with others in your area to see what they have.
Also, if there are chicken houses in the area find out what well company drilled the well(s).

Sandy soil is known to have low Ph (acidic) water and is easily contaminated from the surface.
You may require an Acid Neutralizer, Carbon filter and maybe some type of drinking water system.
Again, your locall well company will know the water in your area.

HTH ~
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:46:19 AM EDT
[#2]
The local drillers I have run into price 2 ways.  They will give you a "gambler's special" and charge you by the foot.  Or give you a garanteed price reguardless of how deep they have to drill.

You can probably get good info from the county sanatation dept (or whoever issues well permits), they  can tell you what the average well depth in the area is.

BTW, Stone Mountain (the visible part) is just a pebble compared to what you don't see under the surface.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:19:00 PM EDT
[#3]
my well has the casing sealed in the bedrock and with the pump in the well( no having to prime if the power go off and some one drains the tank)  had it done 15 years ago no prob. yet
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:53:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The local drillers I have run into price 2 ways.  They will give you a "gambler's special" and charge you by the foot.  Or give you a garanteed price reguardless of how deep they have to drill.

You can probably get good info from the county sanatation dept (or whoever issues well permits), they  can tell you what the average well depth in the area is.

BTW, Stone Mountain (the visible part) is just a pebble compared to what you don't see under the surface.

I don't think knowing the average will necessarily help.   When I built my house I  used the "Gambler's special" pricing.  The nearest two wells are 130 and 150 feet deep.  One is about 300 feet away and one is about 300 yards away.  Mine went 305 feet.  I could have gotten by for half the $$$ if I'd taken the flat price.  I was there when they drilled and watched the output so I know I didn't get scammed.  Live and learn.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:43:16 AM EDT
[#5]
You can probably expect around $7-9 a foot for a drilled well. It depends on the area. My well went 484 feet without a drop, then I got 150 gallons per minute. I also was there when they drilled.

Make sure the driller is permitted, but you probably won't find one that isn't. You can call EPD and ask for the dept that handles well drilling and see if they have any complaints,
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top