Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2008 12:31:49 PM EDT
There may be an opportunity for us in CT, but I'm not sure I want to live there.

How bad are the gun laws?  Do they still have an AWB?  Do yo have to register your firearms?  Is a CCW some mythical beast that the locals don't believe really exists?

How is it aside from guns?  Is it crowded?  Is it overrun with lefties, and if so, can you live with them?

What is there to do?  I'm the outdoor type, I like to hunt and fish.  Is that any good?

Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

CO
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 12:37:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes to the AWB.  You can have post ban config.  You can have pre-ban config if it was made before the ban date (as long as it's not named on the list).  You can have whatever you want for mags.

No registration

CCW is easy to get

There are crowded sections and quiet sections.  What area are you looking at?

I believe public land hunting is shotgun only.  Private land (over 10 acres w/ landowner permission) you can use a rifle.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 1:59:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
There may be an opportunity for us in CT, but I'm not sure I want to live there.

You can take my place, as I don't want to live here anymore.

How bad are the gun laws?

Compared to where?  

Do they still have an AWB?

Yes.  

Do yo have to register your firearms?

When purchasing any firearm from an FFL or a handgun from a private party, a copy of the transaction is sent to your local PD and the state Dept of Public Safety.  Any firearms you bring into the state do not need to be registered, except for machine guns (full auto only, no select fire) and if you are introducing assult weapons into the state on PCS orders.  

Is a CCW some mythical beast that the locals don't believe really exists?

Pistol permits are basically shall issue.  Allows for no waiting periods and CCW.

How is it aside from guns?  Is it crowded?

Depends where you are located.  Pretty much anywhere along 95 is going to be crowed.  Eastern CT is tame compared to lower Fairfield County.  Northwestern CT is less crowded.

Is it overrun with lefties, and if so, can you live with them?

I don't associate with lefties.

What is there to do?  I'm the outdoor type, I like to hunt and fish.  Is that any good?

I guess, I don't do either.

Link Posted: 9/5/2008 3:01:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When purchasing any firearm from an FFL or a handgun from a private party, a copy of the transaction is sent to your local PD and the state Dept of Public Safety.  Any firearms you bring into the state do not need to be registered, except for machine guns (full auto only, no select fire) and if you are introducing assult weapons into the state on PCS orders.  

I believe this is incorrect.  I do not know of any law requiring an FFL to send a copy of anything to the local PD, and I don't belive the state knows what kind of firearms you have, just longarm of pistol.  You can voluntarily register, and they encourage it, but you dont have to and noone does it for you.
Now, this is what I think, but hopefully someone will come along and verify or tell me im an idiot.

that is all wrong, sorry!
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 3:08:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

How bad are the gun laws?  Do they still have an AWB?  Do yo have to register your firearms?  Is a CCW some mythical beast that the locals don't believe really exists?

How is it aside from guns?  Is it crowded?  Is it overrun with lefties, and if so, can you live with them?

Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

CO

If you are currently in the states, and in a no-ban state, get your prebans now, they still go for a premium up here.  The no mag limit is nice, and the rest can be gotten around thru preban or ban configuration.  CT gun laws are bad, but far from the worst.  Hunting is ok, fishing is good, and the states are small around here- you might live 2hrs from NH, VT, etc. and those states are great for the outdoors.

Remember, it is VERY expensive to live here, especially if you are in Fairfield county.  Depending on where you are coming from, your cost of living could easily double.

Give us some more details about where you will be working, and we can give you more info- fairfield county and litchfield county are next to each other, and they couldnt be any more different.

Link Posted: 9/5/2008 3:20:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe this is incorrect.  I do not know of any law requiring an FFL to send a copy of anything to the local PD, and I don't belive the state knows what kind of firearms you have, just longarm of pistol.  You can voluntarily register, and they encourage it, but you dont have to and noone does it for you.
Now, this is what I think, but hopefully someone will come along and verify or tell me im an idiot.

Well, I'm not going to call you an idiot, but you are wrong. A DPS-3-C is required for all dealer sales and private handgun sales. The bottom of the form reads "Seller, retain the original copy for your records, give one copy to the purchaser as a receipt, submit one copy to the local police authority where the purchaser resides, and submit a final copy to the Commissioner of Public Safety at...."
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 3:29:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I'm not going to call you an idiot, but you are wrong. A DPS-3-C is required for all dealer sales and private handgun sales. The bottom of the form reads "Seller, retain the original copy for your records, give one copy to the purchaser as a receipt, submit one copy to the local police authority where the purchaser resides, and submit a final copy to the Commissioner of Public Safety at...."

thanks, and yes, i was wrong
checked the form- here is the link if anyone wants it...
www.ct.gov/dps/lib/dps/special_licensing_and_firearms/dps-3-c.pdf
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:59:23 PM EDT
[#7]
OK, after doing some checking, it looks like it would be in Middlesex county.

What can you all tell me about that?
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 9:11:57 PM EDT
[#8]

<-------

See the Wisconsin.

After 28 Years or so in Connecticut I can tell you DON'T DO IT !!!!!

You can not fathom how expensive it is. Income tax, Property Tax ( Vehicles , boats , quads everything), Outrageous cost of housing , a BILLION tiny fees they attach to everything. Emissions and inspection on your vehicles, "Scary looking weapon" ban, And whil CCW is basically shall issue, Any cop can pull your permit for any reason, and last I checked the Examiners board that is in charge of reinstating them isn't examining anymore.

Unless they are DOUBLING whatever you make now, it will be a step down ( not that I am sure where VAT is)

8 Freinds of mine have moved out of Connecticut since I left 4 years ago , My roomates sister is moving out in 2 months and my sisiter is following the year after, Mom is 2 years behind when she retires. At that point EVERYONE I consider family or close freinds that I had made in 28 years of living there will have left.....

That is either one HELL of a coincidence.... Or someting is terribly wrong in the Nutmeg state.

( ETA) there is pretty good fishing.... But the hunting oppertunities (In Connecticut anyway) Are pretty limited.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 4:26:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
<-------

See the Wisconsin.

You can not fathom how expensive it is. Income tax, Property Tax ( Vehicles , boats , quads everything), Outrageous cost of housing , a BILLION tiny fees they attach to everything. Emissions and inspection on your vehicles, "Scary looking weapon" ban, And whil CCW is basically shall issue, Any cop can pull your permit for any reason, and last I checked the Examiners board that is in charge of reinstating them isn't examining anymore.

Unless they are DOUBLING whatever you make now, it will be a step down ( not that I am sure where VAT is)

8 Freinds of mine have moved out of Connecticut since I left 4 years ago , My roomates sister is moving out in 2 months and my sisiter is following the year after, Mom is 2 years behind when she retires. At that point EVERYONE I consider family or close freinds that I had made in 28 years of living there will have left.....

That is either one HELL of a coincidence.... Or someting is terribly wrong in the Nutmeg state.

( ETA) there is pretty good fishing.... But the hunting oppertunities (In Connecticut anyway) Are pretty limited.

I was wondering when you were going to chime in with your one sided opinion. You don't live here anymore, all you do is complain about this state but yet you fucking post here all the time. If you hate CT so much why don't you just let it go and stop reading and posting in this section.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 4:28:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, you've selected one of the two high-priced, well settled areas in this tiny state.   I can tell you that places like Deep River and Cromwell and the others in that county are simply beautiful for the most part. Many towns settled back in the late 1600s.  Many of the homes there have been preserved or restored and are just gorgeous but, as mentioned above, the cost of living there is staggering.  If you are prepared for that, fine.  You'll enjoy the surroundings.  The place drips with history.  

You can begin by checking out each town here:

http://www.connquest.com/connecticut/middlesex.html

Hunting and fishing are popular in this state but don't expect to hunt deer with a high-power rifle unless you are on private property large enough to allow that.  Bow and shotgun are the predominent deer hunting weapons.  Also, there is no pistol-hunting here at all, period, on any property.   Upland bird hunting is stocked exclusively but available.  Turkey is also very popular with both a Spring and Fall season.  Tons and tons of turkey around here.  Down in Middlesex, tons of deer, too.  

Fishing is actually pretty good depending on the seasons.  North of Middlesex are rivers like the Farmington which are controlled and support a healthy population of trout for fly fishing but for the most part, Trout fishing peters out by July 1. The water is too warm.  Further North, in Massachusetts, you can fly fish year 'round on controlled rivers.  Bass fishing is also popular in many of the lakes and ponds.  River fishing is excellent in the spring as the stripers come up after the herring.  It's easy to catch 50"+fish when they are running.  Also, in Middlesex County, you'll find yourself near the ocean for blues in the Fall.  

One other mention regarding firearms.  Dont' bring your named " Colt Sporter" AR15.  They are banned by name, period.  Any other clone is perfectly fine as long as it's either a pre-ban with all the evil features or AWB compliant without the evil features.  Also, don't bother bring your AK47 in 7.62 x 39.  They are banned by fiat (interpreted regulation, not by law).  If you have one in any other caliber, fine.  Just know that 7.62 x 39 in anything resembling an AK47 or clone is verboten.

No registration of firearms.  

No problems with hi-cap mags or ammo.  Also, we have an active full-auto population here.  You CAN own machine guns but they can NOT be select fire like an authentic M16.  I know, i know, it's stupid but there it is.

Hey! We also have a nice Cabela's in East Hartford which would be about 40 minutes from the center of that county.

Carry Permit is shall issue for all practical purposes.  There are ranges in the area but not a lot.  We are, after all, a small state and having open land for shooting is a premium.  Further North in Tolland County or Hartford County there are more open areas and ranges but a bunch of active ranges West of you, too.  

Let me also close by agreeing with the above posters about CT losing population.  I've been a property owner here since 1982 and lived most of my life in this state.  I'm a business owner and my wife is a scientist.  We also live in a historic part of the state but well North of Hartford.  We are within 5 years of retirement (earliest possible date) and we will NOT be retireing here.  This state has dedicated itself to finding every possible way to suck the life out of you financially.  And, the writing is on the wall that they are not through yet.  We might have a Republican governor but the Dems have a super majority in both the house and senate.  They rule the roost.  We would like to downsize and won't even look here but further North in NH or ME.  VT is a distant third due to their tax situation.  

Our property taxes literally doubled in one stinkin' year.  If you buy a new car, expect to pay about 20% more for it just because of the personal property taxes.  They tax everything.  I even pay taxes on my stupid computer to my town.  But, if the money is good and you're looking to move to one of the most beautiful states in New England then Connecticut is your state.  Just be prepared for it when you get here.  

Good luck!

Rome

Link Posted: 9/6/2008 7:02:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Dont have much to add to Cabinetman, he is spot on.

If you are flexible on where in middlesex you can live, I would suggest the middle/northeast.  Stay off the shore if at all possible, it is very expensive and, but you only have to go a couple of towns north to be in the woods.  Haddam, East Haddam, East Hampton are all much less populated.  The CT river goes straight through the county, and I would suggest staying on the east side, but it might be a nasty commute if you have to go into middletown (crossing the river).  Not very many ways over down that way.

I can only assume that VAT is for Vatican City, and a joke, so where exactly are you coming from?

Link Posted: 9/6/2008 8:23:43 AM EDT
[#12]
I love it here, but as these threads usually go, I must be the only one
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 9:59:46 AM EDT
[#13]

weapons. Also, there is no pistol-hunting here at all, period, on any property.

That's incorrect. You can hunt small game with a .17 rimfire, or .22LR pistol on state land, and AFAIK you can hunt small game with any caliber pistol on private land. You can't hunt deer, turkey, or waterfowl with a pistol, anywhere in the state.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 10:00:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
<-------

See the Wisconsin.

I was wondering when you were going to chime in with your one sided opinion. You don't live here anymore, all you do is complain about this state but yet you fucking post here all the time. If you hate CT so much why don't you just let it go and stop reading and posting in this section.

So guys like you with the blinders on don't ruin someone elses life.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 10:33:56 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
<-------

See the Wisconsin.

I dont think anyone in this thread has blinders on, we have been very open about the cost of living, the gun laws, etc.  There certainly are better states to live in (IMHO) but there are also worse ones.  CT is not a pro-gun state, but there are other things to consider.  Moving to CT is not going to ruin anyones life.

Link Posted: 9/6/2008 12:07:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Like anything in life, it's what you like.

I love visiting NYC, wouldn't want to live there.

Cost of living here is higher, however so are salaries/incomes.

No one can tell you what you like or dislike, you need to experiance it for yourself.

what exactly are your concerns? Maybe some informative answers could help you decide.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 1:08:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
<-------

See the Wisconsin.

I dont think anyone in this thread has blinders on, we have been very open about the cost of living, the gun laws, etc.  There certainly are better states to live in (IMHO) but there are also worse ones.  CT is not a pro-gun state, but there are other things to consider.  Moving to CT is not going to ruin anyones life.

You are correct, I was matching his overstatement with my very own overstatement. How about we agree that He can have his Myopic view that connecticut is wonderful, And I can have mone that it sucks. When asked about Connecticut, We can both express out opinions let the person asking the question make up their mind.

Getting mad cause I am saying how I feel about a state and telling me not to post it?   ..... Something I would expect of of DU.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 1:24:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

You are correct, I was matching his overstatement with my very own overstatement. How about we agree that He can have his Myopic view that connecticut is wonderful, And I can have mone that it sucks. When asked about Connecticut, We can both express out opinions let the person asking the question make up their mind.

Getting mad cause I am saying how I feel about a state and telling me not to post it?   ..... Something I would expect of of DU.

You have the reading comprehension of a moron. What part of my rebuttal had anything to do with saying how wonderful CT is or was an overstatement? You obviously missed my point entirely. There are over 3.5 million people living in the state of CT, they obviously don't all hate living here. You jump at any chance you get to bash living in CT even though you have long since moved away. Just give it up pal.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 2:02:39 PM EDT
[#19]

CT cities are turning into shooting galleries. it is expensive to live there, and housing costs are outrageous. taxes are bad, as has been said already.

regarding gun laws, they are probably the best in that area (that area being MA, CT, RI, NY, NJ), but they suck ass compared to the rest of the country.

i lived there for a LONG time, and finally moved home to ME a few years back. after i moved, i wondered why i wasted so much of my life there.

the average income is fairly high in CT, but that's offest by the cost of everything else.

ETA: and yes, it IS overrun with lefties. homegrown lefties, and transplants from NY and NJ. and it's only getting worse...

Link Posted: 9/6/2008 2:03:26 PM EDT
[#20]
On the CCW issue you could always try and get a non resident Connecticut State Pistol Permit before moving here.
More information on the state permit can be found here: www.ct.gov/dps/cwp/view.asp?a=2158&q=294502

Also if you plan on moving here and then getting a CCW avoid moving to some of the larger cities like New Haven where the local PD will drag their feet (as in five or six months) before they'll issue the local permit which is required to obtain the state permit. Some towns are better than others when it comes to issuing the local permit.

Like others have said it is expensive to live here but, then again it's expensive anywhere in the NJ, NY, and CT area. Also keep in mind as others have mentioned the AWB law we have here as you might need to modify any firearms that the CT AWB calls illegal. Got to hand it to the morons up in Hartford who ban a gun (Colt) that is manufactured here here) its a great state with many enjoyable things to do here (hunting and fishing included).
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 3:00:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 3:43:59 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
On the CCW issue you could always try and get a non resident Connecticut State Pistol Permit before moving here.
More information on the state permit can be found here: www.ct.gov/dps/cwp/view.asp?a=2158&q=294502

Great idea- it will be much better than waiting until you get here, and until you have a CT permit, you cant take your handguns out of your house- silly, but thats the law.  There are a few exceptions, but it basically stays there.

Link Posted: 9/6/2008 6:05:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Truth is you could find someone from any state that hates where they live.  A lot of the people who bash CT so much lived/live in shitty areas of the state.  Sure the gun laws suck and the cost of living is high but there are plenty of people who like living here.  I love the part of CT where I am.  No crime, no traffic, tons of open land.  If you live in an iner city area in any state you can expect poverty and crime.  Name me a state that doesn't have intercity violence that has major cities.

I know plenty of people here who make a real good living and are able to afford the cost of living because the pay is better here as well.  It doesn't work for everyone.  But some people can live in areas of the US with the lowest cost of living and still complain there not cutting it.  To anyone who has reasons for leaving and wanting to leave, those are your reasons and do not neccesarily apply to anyone else.
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 4:05:36 PM EDT
[#24]
I've lived in CT almost all my life.   I spent a few years in the ADK of NY and Vermont.  And while they both had great big game hunting and fishing I still missed CT.  Sure I hate some/all of the gun laws but they don't wreck my day.

As far as fishing I think we have great fishing both fresh and salt.  Small game hunting is about all I do with a rifle, pistol too.  Waterfowl hunting is also great.  Bowhunting for deer, I don't think you can find a better place to live.  

Taxes suck and it's a pretty expensive place to live but I call it home.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top