Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2003 6:10:40 AM EDT
Has anyone ever delt with Taylor & Vadney in Schenectady? How is their selection on guns? Specifically black guns? Ammo prices
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 7:51:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Been a long time since I've been there.  I don't think their selection is anything along the lines of what B&J carries, but then again I am rather biased.  They don't have a bad rep, and seem to have a small following from what I can tell.  I'm not sure if it was T&V, I think it was, but a gunshop in Schenectady did an interview with one of the local tv stations during the whole DC sniper thing they showed a preban ar15 as the evil rifle that could easily be concealed under a coat...

Edited to add, it might have been another shop that did the interview, anybody know the names of the other shops in Schenectady?
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 9:20:03 AM EDT
[#2]
T&V are a tiny gun shop in the back of an already existing sporting goods store .. picture dicks sporting goods .. only 1 tenth the size .. and a mess .. i havent been there in probably 4 years .. but it was kinda messy last time i was there .. i dont even consider it a gun shop .. more like a small sporting goods store with a guy with ffl in the back ... then again i havent been there in years ..

if they did what hiram said they did .. that was a REAL bad move ..
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 10:17:25 AM EDT
[#3]
OK, I think we are thinking of a different place then.  Is there another shop in Schenectady?  Maybe Zacks?  Like I said, I was not 100% sure which shop did the interview, but it was a gunshop in Schenectady.  I admittedly don't get out that way often, are there any other gunshops in Schenectady?
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 12:28:08 PM EDT
[#4]
no ... we are thinkin of the same place .. only gun shop in schenec ...
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 1:04:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I just remember shaking my head at that interview thinking... idiot, you sell these firearms, now you want to demonize them?  Whoever did that interview had no business sense whatsoever.  For some reason I thought Schenectady had more than one shop.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 3:13:24 PM EDT
[#6]
No doubt that whoever did that interview was pretty stupid. Just curious about the T&V gun selection. Right now I make it up to maybe East Greenbush ( Pistol Parlor )for gun stuff. Tim
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 3:34:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I was in pistol parlor earlier this week for the first time in maybe a year.  They had no inventory to speak of... couple of ARs, couple AKs, an SKS, an AR180B, maybe a couple dozen pistols and your typical selection of hunting rifles and shotguns... definitely way down hill from what it was when Ed was alive.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 3:59:54 PM EDT
[#8]
is that what caused the problem ? .. someone died ? .. i remember like a year and a half ago some major restructering took place .. hours changed .. this and that .. who was ed ? ... i havent been up there in close to a year .. nothin is ever goin on there .. dead ..
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 4:05:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Ed was the crotchity old guy who owned the place.  Brian once worked for him and that is where he learned the gun business.  Ed had a heart attack about 2 to 2 1/2 years ago and his kids took over.  From what I understand they accused each other of stealing from the business.  Not sure who is running it now or what involvement the kids have, all I can tell you is it is a far cry from what it once was.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 4:15:19 PM EDT
[#10]
So that's what happened to the Pistol Parlor, eh?  I was in there today after not going for about a year and it looked awful.  There were hardly any handguns in the case anymore and the long gun selection looked a little smaller.  The lack of handguns was most notable.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 6:18:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Gee I hate to admit it but I thought the Pistol Parlor had a decent selection. I never really feel comfortable there though. I don't know the guys that work there just don't seem too friendly. Maybe because I'm not a regular I don't know. So I guess its safe to assume that B&Js has better selection than the Pistol Parlor. Tim
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 6:23:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Tim, let me just say this...  B&J isn't what it was in the past before Brian stuck out on his own... but there are probably 150 plus handguns in stock and probably 300-400 longarms in stock... and that is a very conservative estimate.  When you walk in the door you'll think, damn, that's a lot of guns... then you stop and think, there are more in the stock room.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 6:34:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Cool! I'm definatley gonna check out B&Js. I have to figure out a way to loose the wife next time we make a trip to Albany.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:06:35 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Gee I hate to admit it but I thought the Pistol Parlor had a decent selection. I never really feel comfortable there though. I don't know the guys that work there just don't seem too friendly. Maybe because I'm not a regular I don't know. So I guess its safe to assume that B&Js has better selection than the Pistol Parlor. Tim

I currently work for Pistol Parlor... we have had some issues as of late with the management... so unfortuantely (and wrongly) we may have passed some bad moods along to the customers. Right now Ed Otts wife and daughter are "running" the business. They are not keen business people and everyone is suffering because of it. Brian right now if I was going to pick a "best shop" would far stand out among the rest... Zacks in Round Lake is pretty decent also...
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 6:26:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Mr. AR10 man?  Now I remember you.  Yeah, I was at the pistol parlor the other day and there were two women in the back office screaming at each other... and not in the teasing way that Brian and Mike do it at B&Js.  The two men working the counter moved to the close the door after a few minutes and seemed really embarassed by it.  One gentleman was older, say 50s maybe, short graying hair, looks like he walks a little bent over.  Anyway, very knowledgeable and friendly guy who answered questions without the usual BS you get at most gunshops... understood the 922r rules, explained how to modify AK mags to fit a Saiga properly, answered my friends questions about some highend shotguns.  Overall, very pleasant to deal with.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 10:09:38 AM EDT
[#16]
T and V is a full service store in Rotterdam, located at the Five Corners. I had them order Federal XM193 for me RECENTLY, not 4 years ago. They had it in 2 weeks for $108/500. They have changing inventory of black guns, a large inventory of handguns and rifles. I picked up in November a LaBelle Mag for $30. They have  fishing and paint ball stuff. Years ago they were in Albany for probably 20 years.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 11:21:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Adirondack, isn't there another shop relatively close to T&V?  I admittedly don't get out there much.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 11:35:27 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Mr. AR10 man?  Now I remember you.  Yeah, I was at the pistol parlor the other day and there were two women in the back office screaming at each other... and not in the teasing way that Brian and Mike do it at B&Js.  The two men working the counter moved to the close the door after a few minutes and seemed really embarassed by it.  One gentleman was older, say 50s maybe, short graying hair, looks like he walks a little bent over.  Anyway, very knowledgeable and friendly guy who answered questions without the usual BS you get at most gunshops... understood the 922r rules, explained how to modify AK mags to fit a Saiga properly, answered my friends questions about some highend shotguns.  Overall, very pleasant to deal with.

Yeah you dealt with Mark...who is the manager... he is a GREAT guy... and I dont use that term loosely... it is a real shame with things going on..

Hey we need to get up soon and hang out... do some shooting... I was just over at Clifton Park shooting the 50cal...had a blast... let me know when you will be around and at least we will go get a beer or something
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 3:15:58 PM EDT
[#19]
ORGNOI1 ... where is the range in Clifton Park ? ... id like to check it out .. i heard there is one there but i have never been there .. i like to know where all the local ranges are ... keep informed ..
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 3:19:20 PM EDT
[#20]
HR

No other stores that I know of. I have a dealer in Seneca County that I use for FFL stuff, my C and R application went out Friday. My next milatary buy will all be 50 years old so I am going the CR route for them. 1903 Sprinfields, 1911 Enfields, can be bought direct with a CR FFL. The only other store I have been to is Barlows in Cobleskill.

Lou
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 6:01:40 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
ORGNOI1 ... where is the range in Clifton Park ? ... id like to check it out .. i heard there is one there but i have never been there .. i like to know where all the local ranges are ... keep informed ..

It is on Englemore Road... between exit 8 and 8a... here is their webpage:

http://www.sportsmensclubofcliftonpark.org/
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 12:44:59 PM EDT
[#22]
I'll second what HiramRanger said about the guy Orgnoi1 says is the manager of Pistol Parlor.  Seems like a genuinely nice guy, not pushy at all but willing to answer any questions directed his way without any hint of annoyance (I've seen that lots of times at other stores).  A no BS kind of guy.  I've actually never had a problem with any of the workers at the Pistol Parlor, and have made a few purchases there over the past 5 or 6 years.  That's why the drop in selection is all the more discouraging to see.  They have (might be gone by now) a nice used 3rd Generation Glock 21C for $399 that I checked out.  I may swing by and pick it up soon if it's still around.  I'm not keen on the compensated Glocks but it's tough to beat $399 for a 3rd Gen .45.  I bought a LNIB Glock 27 there maybe 2 years ago for $375.  Great gun.  

Taylor and Vadney always seemed really expensive comparatively.  I bought a revolver from them about 6 years ago, paid too much, didn't know any better at the time (22 years old at the time).

As for the Sportsman's Club of Clifton Park, I've been a member there for almost 10 years.  It's a decent place, nobody hassles you and it is almost never crowded.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 12:53:27 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I'll second what HiramRanger said about the guy Orgnoi1 says is the manager of Pistol Parlor.  Seems like a genuinely nice guy, not pushy at all but willing to answer any questions directed his way without any hint of annoyance (I've seen that lots of times at other stores).  A no BS kind of guy.  I've actually never had a problem with any of the workers at the Pistol Parlor, and have made a few purchases there over the past 5 or 6 years.  That's why the drop in selection is all the more discouraging to see.  They have (might be gone by now) a nice used 3rd Generation Glock 21C for $399 that I checked out.  I may swing by and pick it up soon if it's still around.  I'm not keen on the compensated Glocks but it's tough to beat $399 for a 3rd Gen .45.  I bought a LNIB Glock 27 there maybe 2 years ago for $375.  Great gun.  

Taylor and Vadney always seemed really expensive comparatively.  I bought a revolver from them about 6 years ago, paid too much, didn't know any better at the time (22 years old at the time).

As for the Sportsman's Club of Clifton Park, I've been a member there for almost 10 years.  It's a decent place, nobody hassles you and it is almost never crowded.

You werent in there lately looking at that were ya?... Do you work for corrections?? I just recently was letting as guy look at it...
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:30:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Orgnoi1 - I was in on Friday afternoon shopping.  I don't work for Corrections though.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:33:14 AM EDT
[#25]
hmmm you "may" have dealt with me... unsure... I was there two fridays back working
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:40:17 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I currently work for Pistol Parlor... we have had some issues as of late with the management... so unfortuantely (and wrongly) we may have passed some bad moods along to the customers. Right now Ed Otts wife and daughter are "running" the business. They are not keen business people and everyone is suffering because of it. Brian right now if I was going to pick a "best shop" would far stand out among the rest... Zacks in Round Lake is pretty decent also...

Orgnoi1, I just figured it was because I was a new face at the store. Nobody was rude or anything thats for sure. Tim
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 6:45:34 AM EDT
[#27]
my feeling is it doesnt matter if you are a first timer or a store regular... I like to treat everyone equally myself. You never know who the person is... I had an Albany County Judge come in... and was just chatting away...LOL
Top Top