Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2005 10:47:38 AM EDT
I had no idea that such a compound existed that was "legal" to use.

I'm just wondering if there are any state or federal laws against the storage, use, or transportation of such material in nevada.

otherwise, IMA BLOW SOME STUFF UP!!!!!

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:46:54 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I had no idea that such a compound existed that was "legal" to use.

I'm just wondering if there are any state or federal laws against the storage, use, or transportation of such material in nevada.

otherwise, IMA BLOW SOME STUFF UP!!!!!

Blaze,

I have never used the stuff but it is my understanding that it is legal to ship, own, and store because it is a binary compound. Meaning that two components must be mixed in order for the substance to become explosive.

I was also told that if it is stored in the binary component condition (not mixed and then stored) it is both safe and legal. Even when combined with the catalyst I don't think the substance is unstable, as it takes a high-powered rifle to detonate it once it has been mixed.

You can get more info here: Tannerite website

Be Safe.

Joe

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:43:45 PM EDT
[#2]
The site gave a general and rather vague idea of the legality of it. I just wanted to make sure that it was G2G before I placed my order.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:53:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Got Some

Just have to find the time to try it out.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:29:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Mongo is also in the same catergory.Very cool.

www.havasu-pyro.com

Things that go boom!

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:51:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Got Some

Just have to find the time to try it out.

Jim , before you go, give me a call.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:59:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The site gave a general and rather vague idea of the legality of it. I just wanted to make sure that it was G2G before I placed my order.

Blaze,

I couldn't find out anything on the BATFE's website regarding Tannerite. A few website search results revealed that binary explosives are not regulated by the BATFE, because ordinary household chemicals are mostly binary, and they all have the potential to become explosive when mixed.

One website did mention that the possession, transportation, and use of binary explosive materials are regulated by most states by statute, and they are treated as explosives even if they are in their respective binary form and not mixed.

Here is what I found in Nevada NRS: NRS CHAPTER 476: EXPLOSIVE AND INFLAMMABLE MATERIALS

Among other definitions this link defines "Binary Explosive" in NRS. NRS Chapter 618 of NAC

It appears to me that it is legal to purchase, possess, and use Tannerite under Federal law (or lack thereof), but if the state wanted to it can use the explosives law in statute to make a case against an individual(s). I am sure there is also some County/City Ordinance/Code that prohibits Tannerite if it is mixed and used as an explosive.

Perhaps Jim or someone else can research this a little further and present a more detailed conclusion. I certainly would like to know more about the substance.

Hope this helps.

Be Safe.

Joe

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:50:07 PM EDT
[#7]
just as usual, there's lots of "grey area."

thanks for the help. I'm gonna save a lil cash and put my order in

i likes to blow tings up!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:08:44 PM EDT
[#8]
The shit is da bomb! (pun intended) Don't pre-mix but rather wait until you're onsite. After you see the results, you won't be packing any up for the ride home!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:04:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Ask AK MIKE in Hometown ALASKA.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:26:44 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
just as usual, there's lots of "grey area."

thanks for the help. I'm gonna save a lil cash and put my order in

i likes to blow tings up!!!!!

I'm glad I could help with what little info I had to provide. If I had more time I probably would have been able to research a more definitive answer for you.

Perhaps someone else can add some detailed info to the thread.

Anyhow, have fun when you get your "entertainment powder," and let us know how it goes.

Be Safe.

Joe
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:58:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Question for you Boulder City range users... Does that range allow the use of tannerite?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:43:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Not a member, But seriously doubt it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:00:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Not a member, But seriously doubt it.

echoed. I'm sure they'd get a little pissy
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:07:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By Militia Mike:
Question for you Boulder City range users... Does that range allow the use of tannerite?

MM,

I never saw anything specific about it in the Range Rules, but now that you have asked they will probably ban it.

That's just how shit works.

Be Safe.

Joe
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:18:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:30:32 PM EDT
[#16]
.50 BMG APIT is good for propane tanks...
http://files.uzitalk.com/reference/shoots/uzitalk2004/propane2.jpg
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:18:44 PM EDT
[#17]

Nope. I'm one of the rangemasters there, and explosive targets and tracers are verboten.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:04:53 AM EDT
[#18]
A couple years ago when I was looking into less expensive and bigger booming cheaper home-made alternatives, transportation is fairly simple when it comes to binary explosives.

You can transport the component items in an unprepared/unmixed state no problem, providing there is no restriction on the component items themselves (ie, diesel fuel in large quantity; items that require hazmat).

Once you have mixed the items then you are now in possession of an explosive at which point transportation of such item is illegal for 99.9% of the populace.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:12:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks, Jim
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:15:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Jim,
Is there a good reason why not? I can understand tracers if there is alot of brush around, but tannerite just makes a little smoke and a big bang.. Never seen much of any pyro stuff eminating from it.. Is there a chance ya'll could have an earnest discussion about the use of it?

Just wondering..
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:05:18 PM EDT
[#21]

Jim,
Is there a good reason why not? I can understand tracers if there is alot of brush around, but tannerite just makes a little smoke and a big bang.. Never seen much of any pyro stuff eminating from it.. Is there a chance ya'll could have an earnest discussion about the use of it?

Just wondering..

I'm not on the board, and therefore have no real say in the operation and rules of the club. I just volunteer my time there occasionally, and sometimes use the range.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:50:59 PM EDT
[#22]

Jim,

Just wondering..

Mike,

The BRPC Board meets the first Wednesday of every month at 1900 hrs. They usally meet in the conference room at Mustang Sally's in the Ford dealership at the Auto Mall in Henderson.

You can contact the club and have them put you on the agenda to address the Tannerite issue. The board is made up of shooters, so you will have open ears.

Club E-Mail: [email protected]
Phone Number: (702) 293-1885
Fax Number: (702) 294-5173

Hope this helps.

Be Safe.

Joe
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top