Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2005 3:25:00 AM EDT
I can't stand the way the muzzle brake looks on the M1A, and I would rather have nothing at all then to have that thing on it. Can you take the brake of? Is the barrel threaded so I can put the real one on if I ever move? I wouldn't mind break it off the way people did with their post ban AR barrels, just as long as the barrel doesn't get touched.

Any one know for sure?

ETA: I don't own one yet, but it has always turned me away and knowing I could take it off would help persuade me to get sooner than later.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:49:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:31:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Here's the thing: The M1A/M14 was designed such that the front sight blade is attached to the flash hider / muzzle brake. If you dump the brake, you need to find some other way of attaching the front sight blade. Like Paul said, you either have to get a custom setup, or you need to take the stock brake off, cut it down, then reinstall.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:05:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Well I was also thinking of getting a custom muzzle brake that looked more like the real flash suppressor. I just sent off my C&R application and I want to get a collection of WWII era weapons, and I fear that the muzzle brake will 'damage' the collection so to speak.

While yet it is for looks, it's not to have a bad ass rifle, but to have an original rifle for a collection.

Thanks for the input. Maybe I will just have a funky collection until (read: if I ever) move.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:25:50 PM EDT
[#4]
keep it IMHO the ones with the muzzel brakes are more accurate.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:03:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Aside from being threaded on, is it attached in any permanent way?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:03:11 PM EDT
[#6]
BRAKE not break
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:08:03 PM EDT
[#7]
HAPPY NOW?

Geez, it was a subconcious mistake. At least it was spelled correctly...
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:22:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Aside from being threaded on, is it attached in any permanent way?

Not exactly. The "barrel nut" is actually called a castle nut. There's a reason for this: There are slots cut into it all around the circumference, giving the appearance of the top of a castle turret. These slots are made to accept a set screw that prevents the castle nut from loosening. The set screw is driven in through the muzzle device (flash hider or muzzle brake).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top