Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2006 6:22:21 AM EDT
Some good news about Brendan "Dan" McKown for those who are interested.

From The Tacoma News Tribune

Brendan “Dan” McKown, who doctors said might never walk again after being shot several times at the Tacoma Mall in November, expects to leave Good Samaritan Hospital in Puyallup today under his own power.
“I’m really in the middle of a big miracle right now,” McKown, 38, said during a rehabilitation session Thursday at Good Samaritan Hospital in Puyallup.

McKown was hit by as many as five bullets fired by 20-year-old Dominick S. Maldonado Nov. 20. During his initial treatment, doctors warned that McKown might never be able to walk again.

But today he expects to use a walker to leave the hospital where he’s been a patient since Nov. 29.

Good Samaritan’s policy is to discharge patients by pushing them out of the building in a wheelchair, but hospital spokeswoman Susan Messier said, “I think they’re going to try and (help McKown out of the building) with his walker and braces.”

McKown said one of his goals was to walk out of the hospital.

“I’d like to walk, but we’ll see,” he said.

Maldonado has been accused of firing randomly inside the mall and holding four people hostage before surrendering to police.

Prosecutors have charged him with 15 crimes in connection with the shooting, including attempted murder.

In addition to McKown, Maldonado wounded five other people who were treated and released from local hospitals. McKown has said he drew his own gun and pointed it at Maldonado, but he’s not sure if the gunman saw it.

For the past week or so, Mc-Kown said, he’s been walking with the help of a walker. At first, he didn’t make it far, but he’s up to 600 to 800 feet a day, he said.

“It’s fantastic. It’s unbelievable,” said Roger McKown, Dan’s father. “I know it’s assisted, but another couple of months and he might not need assistance other than a cane.”

Chris Dixon, Dan McKown’s rehabilitation coordinator, said McKown has worked hard in rehabilitation, but it’s difficult to know when or if he’ll walk without assistance. “There’s just no way of predicting the ultimate outcome,” she said.

McKown said he has “40, 50, 60 percent” feeling in his right leg, and only about “2 percent” in his left leg. He’ll move to a ground-floor unit in his old apartment complex, and ride the bus to Puyallup for rehabilitation five days a week, he said. He’s not sure when he’ll return to work at the Excalibur cutlery store in the Tacoma Mall, where he worked as an assistant manager before the shooting.

“It’s mixed emotions getting out. I’m not walking without assistance, when I’d rather be,” he said.

But later he added, “I don’t how else to say it: I’m in the middle of a miracle.”

Benefit show

A benefit show will be held Jan. 21 in Auburn to help Dan McKown, who was shot at the Tacoma Mall on Nov. 20. The event will be at 6:30 p.m. at the New Heart Worship Center, 33415 Military Road South. McKown and comedian Ty Barnett will perform stand-up comedy routines. Christian music groups Vision and Keepers of the Faith will also perform. For more information, call 253-939-0553.

Trey
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:51:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Think he will be packing anytime soon?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:54:14 AM EDT
[#2]
This is good news whether you think he did anything good or not in the incident.

Quoted:
Think he will be packing anytime soon?

His carry piece will probably be locked up as evidence for a while.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:10:21 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
This is good news whether you think he did anything good or not in the incident.

+1, it is great news!

But I cant see why his carry pistol is locked up, He did not use it for anything..
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:15:50 AM EDT
[#4]
The guy should have stayed in the store selling ninja swords and dungens&dragons crap to basement dwellers.  It is a good thing that is is upright and almost walking.  But it is a shining example of what not to do with a gun.  Waving it like an idiot at a guy who was willing to shoot him did not deter the assault.  

If I recall, in one of the articles linked too, he said he thought that, "just pointing the gun would make the guy stop."  If that was the case, he should have just carried a picture of a gun and showed it to the guy.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:56:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Fantastic news !  I wish him and his family the best.

Lesson to learn from this incident........

Arfcommer's are quick to type in 'You should Draw Down' in a joking manner.

In a real life scenario, you better be damned ready to shoot LONG BEFORE you 'Draw Down'
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:01:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Arfcommer's are quick to type in 'You should Draw Down' in a joking manner.

In a real life scenario, you better be damned ready to shoot LONG BEFORE you 'Draw Down'

Word...
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:06:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I prefer not to draw a weapon unless it's time to use it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:38:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I prefer not to draw a weapon unless it's time to use it.

+1

draw a weapon in haste and you easily be charged with 'brandishing a firearm'
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:39:37 AM EDT
[#9]
If the Governor had any gumption, she'd give him one of those civilian "service to the public" medals in a big media PR presentation.

-Frank
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top