Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2006 2:09:23 PM EDT

How much is the barrel nutt supposed to be torqued down ??

Got an armorers wrench today at MH Gun Show -

WHat is the torque that I should tighten it down to ?

OR

IS  IT OK -  As long as it is pretty snug and the lugs line up w/ the hole - OK

Trying to save a trip to someones house just to use a TORQUE WRENCH ..
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:11:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never used a torque wrench but i believe the manual says 35-80 foot pounds......I think.

I usually tighten it down good, back it off and tighten, back it off and tighten (thats 3 times).  Try to advance it to the next hole if you can.  If not mark the hole you can get to, loosen the nut and tighten as before but stop when you get to the whole.

I hope that makes sense I have my 4 yo daughter on my lap wanting her story time.........

Good luck
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:16:54 PM EDT
[#2]
The specs calls for a whole lot of variance. I dont think you will find any other torque specs to have this much range at this low of torque. So the easiest way is just to tighten to the next slot where the gas tube will fit.

And this doesnt always apply to Larue handguards.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:18:27 PM EDT
[#3]
M16A-2 rifle manual says 31-35 ft-lbs...NOTE though this is the wrench AND the torque wrench, so you have to re-calculate depending on which wrench you have.

It also states thay you may go past the 35ft-lb mark to align the nut serrations for gas tube clearance.

The barrel wrench in the manual appears to be the standard short rechangular one. The longer one has a square hole for a socket wrench, and as long as the disance from this hole to center of the bore is the same, you should be able to use the above setting.

If this doesn't make sense let me know and I'll expand on torques and crap like that.

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:20:49 AM EDT
[#4]
tighten
loosen
tighten
loosen
tighten

each step a little more and on the last crank line up the gas tube notch.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:05:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Put 33 lbs on it - did it three times - lined up perfectly.

Can't wait to shoot it.

I will post pics tomorrow of the new build.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:45:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Sully at his armorer's course said 30lbs. I don't have the tech manual handy to see what it says.

wganz

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:42:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I thought you tightend it until a loud popping noise was heard and it loosened.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top