Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2007 8:26:44 PM EDT
Anyone out there have a thompons semi-auto thinking of buying one like to know if it's going to be a wast of big money.
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 4:56:45 AM EDT
[#1]
yes I have one and love it, get the 100 round drum before you cant
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 7:38:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 8:40:24 AM EDT
[#3]
My brother has one. Fun to shoot but heavy. Lumpy nailed it though, they would be more cool as a SBR. Personally if I was in the market for a .45 rifle, I would rather get a .45 UZI semi for the money. Vector Greese Gun mag models list at $699, you just have to order it with the 2" barrel extention cause of the length. Mags are alot cheaper and more accessories/sights also.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 4:02:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I imagine it would be a lot of fun to shoot.

We have an auto version at work and it is a riot (and an ammo hog).  We can't trace its origins so we can't sell it.  Now it just hangs out and comes out about once a year.

Joe
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 4:45:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Anyone out there have a thompons semi-auto thinking of buying one like to know if it's going to be a wast of big money.

Worst
Trigger
Ever, seriously

I had a West Hurley 1927A1 a few years ago, had a 20lb trigger. Makes it so even if you have a lot of ammo and mags to use it is just a chore to pull that heavy trigger so much. Sights were also pretty poor (slow to align, too fine) compared to currently available options like a dot or hi-viz irons or ghost rings of today.
I bought mine to use in carbine matches but never did because of the trigger and sights. Also reloading is fairly slow and requires very careful alignment of mag to groove before you shove it up.

and it is approx 13lbs.

Low recoil though
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 10:36:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Have to agree on the trigger.  Feels like trying to pull my truck.  I have the light weight-9 1/2 lbs.  Very little recoil.  100 rd mags are about $600, 50 rd are $300.  I got used military mags, 30 rd stick, from CTD for $9.  Needed a little modifying to work, but much cheaper.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 10:53:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Not that you need a reason to purchase a particular firearm, but why are you considering a semi-auto Thompson.  Are you wedded to getting a carbine in 45acp?  Have you considered an M1 carbine?  What about an AR in 9mm.  That would certainly be cheaper to shoot than either .45acp. .30 carbine, or .223.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:01:21 AM EDT
[#8]
If your looking for more Thompson info check out the Thompson SMG page at machinegunbooks.com I found it very helpful as I own a couple of semis also. One is on a green card due to OAL with the 28 stock removed. I found myself drawn towards the Thompson because of the look and history of the gun more then a weapon to carry for hunting or defense. I understand a semi receiver is under development now that a FA WWll parts kit would fit on and operate semi only. The bad thing about that for us is the barrell length. I've don't know if would fall under SBR or C&R status due to the age of the parts or a brand new gun because of the new receiver. You can make a 28 lower work on a semi upper after a trip to the machine shop or you can modify the pawl as a bolt hold open selector and install the second selector to make it look like a 28 lower. You will want to change the mag release to a GI style so you won't have to modify your mags and the gun will accept FA mags. Another thing about the Thompson is the looks it gets. Go to the range with your AR or Thompson and everybody wants to look at the Thompson. Both the West Hurley and the current Kahr production guns have their problems as some work fine out of the box and others need the hands of a good Thompson smith. I have the older style bolts on mine and they do not support the primer. If I shoot 45acp with the small primers it will blow the primers out causing failure to feed and fire problems. The new design bolt face supports the primers from blowing out. Go to the Thompson page and do some searching you should be able to find out the quirks involved with the semis.
coltsonly          
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 12:17:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank's for the info guy's thing i'll look into something else to buy don't no what but when i get bored i need to buy something i don't already have.Iwas at johnson's in adrian and seen the new ruger mini target -14 it sure look's good anyone shot one of these yet.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 1:57:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Id be leary of any rifle that needs a "adjustable harmonic dampener" to get MOA results. Get a Ar15 18" SPR upper or something. But hey, its your money. They at least look cool.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top