Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2005 3:09:39 PM EDT
Mick Staton is Delegate Black's son-in-law.  He's just as good on the RKBA issue as his dad.

From the Staton for Senate Campaign:

By now you may have heard the news about Senator Bill Mims (R-33) accepting the position of Chief Deputy Attorney General. While his departure will surely be a loss for us in Loudoun County, we are thankful that one of our own will be assuming such enormous responsibilities for all of Virginia.

With the tough losses we experienced in Loudoun County in November, I cannot stress the importance of retaining control of this seat. We must ensure that we continue to be represented by someone who steadfastly upholds the values and principles of the Republican Party. That’s why I’m running to be the next Senator for the 33rd District.

Since I announced my candidacy, I have been honored by the endorsements of many key leaders in the Republican Party, including:

Senator Ken Cuccinelli

Senator Steve Martin

Senator Steve Newman

Senator Mark Obenshain

Senator Jay O’Brien

Delegate Dick Black

Delegate Mark Cole

Delegate Jeff Frederick

Delegate Tom Gear

Delegate Scott Lingamfelter

Delegate Bob Marshall

Mychele Brickner, Fairfax School Brd, At-large member

Mark Tate, former Vice Mayor of Middleburg

Patricia Phillips*, Concerned Women for America

Morton Blackwell, RPV Natl Committeeman

Pat McSweeney, Former RPV Chairman

Mark Mix*, National Right to Work

Larry Pratt*, GOA

Many other Republican leaders, including Loudoun Supervisors, School Board Members from Loudoun and Fairfax, and over 140 other supporters have endorsed my candidacy for Senate. I am pleased to welcome Kelly DeRouen onto my staff. Kelly has been invaluable in assembling a great team who are running our phone banks and helping us get out the vote. I am grateful to each and every person joining me in this effort.

I have the experience to be an effective leader in Richmond. My education, career experience, and years of service to the party have prepared me to hit the ground running. My leadership on the Board of Supervisors has given me an intimate knowledge of the needs of our county and makes me the ideal advocate in Richmond.

I’m a fiscal conservative with a record of opposing higher taxes. I fought against the sales tax referendum in 2002, and worked to achieve lower real property tax rates as a member of the Board of Supervisors. I am also a social conservative who steadfastly upholds pro-life, pro-family values.

This election process will be extremely fast. An announcement that Senator Mims is resigning his seat is expected on Tuesday, December 27th. The governor could immediately call for a special election and force us to choose our Republican nominee as soon as next weekend, December 30th or 31st.

I know the last thing anyone wants is to launch into another election in the middle of the Christmas holidays, but I am asking you to join me in proving to the Democrats that Republicans are still the best party to lead this district. I have the campaign experience, experience in office, the organization, and the funding in place to run this special election and I am ready to go. I’m asking for your support and for your vote.

Christmas is upon us and gives us an opportunity to give thanks for the many blessings we have received throughout the year. I wish you a wonderful Christmas celebration with your friends and your family.

Merry Christmas,
Mick Staton
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:02:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Updates?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:13:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Mims held a press conference yesterday.  He is officially resigning next year once McDonnell is inaugurated.  Tentative dates for the special election are either Jan 24 or Jan 31.

Both the Republicans and Democrats will have to hold nomination processes to select a candidate.  So far the only good Republican name I've heard is Mick's.

Once the Republican nomination process is set I'll put up another update.  It will be imperative that everyone show up and vote.  Typically only a few hundred people participate so your vote can really make a difference.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:09:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Pardon my ignorance of VA politics (yes, I am a transplant) but could someone explain the boundries of this district & who will be permitted to vote?

Also, I am fairly certain that I cannot vote because I am registered and live in Arlington/Clarendon.

However, registration information/deadlines/locations for interested Loudon residents might be useful. Lets pull together & hold onto this seat!

CBR
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:55:24 AM EDT
[#4]
It's mainly Eastern Loudoun and 6 precincts in Western Fairfax... you are outside the district... however, we can use your help if you want to get a VERY pro-gun person to replace Mims.

Mick Staton is VERY pro-gun... A win by him in the Senate would seriously offset the losses we suffered in November.  We need volunteers to make calls, do literature drops and put up signs if it comes to that.  We'll also need poll workers on the special election day and Mick can always use monetary support in this bid.  

If you can help, email me or IM me.  Mick has several Republican opponents running against him and he will have a strong Democrat as an opponent...

Mike
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:11:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
However, registration information/deadlines/locations for interested Loudon residents might be useful. Lets pull together & hold onto this seat!

Because of the short time frame, if you're not a registered voter now then it's probably already too late.  IIRC the cutoff date is something like 60 days before the election.  This election - both the nomination processes and general election - will occur in the next few weeks.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:52:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
could someone explain the boundries of this district...

BTTT to remind everyone of the upcoming special election in the 33rd Senate District - Loudoun & southeast Herndon. If you're in the district (click link to find out) please support Mick Staton!

mickstaton.com/map.php

Mick has fought as supervisor to keep taxes low. He's 100% pro-life and pro-gun as well.

His only declared opponent for the Republican nomination gave $500 to a PAC supporting the 1/2 cent sales tax hike. Delegate Howell and Senator Saslaw have also received contributions from him.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:36:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok, I just got home from a meeting of the 33rd Legislative District Committee.

The primary election for the GOP nominee will be on Monday, Jan 16 from 11 a.m. - 7 p.m.  Location still TBD.

PLEASE if you're in the district please come out to support Staton.  Less than two thousand people are expected to turn out to select the nominee.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:23:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Hey guys, I feel like I'm talking to myself here.  Are any of you even in this district?  If not I'll shut up and let this thread die.

Otherwise, please get out and vote NEXT MONDAY for Mick Staton!  We have a chance to replace a Republican who screwed us for years on getting the "CCW restaurant ban" repealed with one who will help get it done.

Jan 16, 11 a.m. - 7 p.m.

Loudoun County Public Schools Administration Building
21000 Education Court
Ashburn, VA 20148

Directions:
From points east: Travel north on Dulles Airport Access Road, and merge onto Rt. 267 (W) [Dulles Greenway]. Take Rt. 267 Exit 5 and turn LEFT (S) onto Claiborne Parkway. Turn Right (W) on Broadlands Blvd. Turn RIGHT (N) into Education Court.

From points west: Travel east on Rt. 7 Bus [E. Market St.] and continue on Rt. 7E towards Sterling. Turn RIGHT (S) onto Belmont Ridge Road. Turn LEFT (E) onto Ashburn Farm Parkway. Turn RIGHT (S) on Claiborne Parkway. Turn Right (W) on Broadlands Blvd. Turn RIGHT (N) into Education Court.

cmsweb1.loudoun.k12.va.us/50975427144147/blank/browse.asp?a=383&BMDRN=2000&BCOB=0&c=66312&50975427144147Nav=|223|&NodeID=673
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:47:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Two updates:

First, Ken Hutcheson is working for Mick's opponent.  We all know what he thinks of single-issue voters like us.

Second, VCDL has endorsed Staton!  WAY TO GO MICK!!!

Mick needs volunteers to help do literature drops this weekend.  Contact the campaign if you can help.  703-406-1721.  I'm helping out both Sat and Sun.

If your zip code is any of the following double-check the map, because there's a good chance you're in this district and can vote on Monday.

20105   20107   20120   20147   20148

20151   20152   20164   20165   20166

20170   20171   20175   20176   22033   22066

Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 8:37 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: VA-ALERT: VCDL-PAC Endorsement -- Senate District 33

Dear VCDL Activists:

This Monday, Jan 16, a primary election will be held to determine the
Republican nomination for the Senate in District 33 --  parts of
Loudoun and Fairfax Counties.

VCDL-PAC has endorsed pro-gun MICK STATON in this race.  Mick has
answered the VCDL survey strongly in support of gun owners' rights.
He deserves to be the next Senator from District 33.

Only by electing people like MICK STATON will we be able to repeal
the "restaurant ban" and enact other beneficial pro-gun legislation.

When:     Monday, January 16,  2006, 11:00am - 7:00pm

Where:    Loudoun County School Administration Building
              21000 Education Court
              Ashburn, Virginia 20148

This address is new and may not work in MAPQUEST -- for directions
look at http://www.mickstaton.com/

Since this is a primary, voter turnout is likely to be very low, so it
is vital that you make a special effort to go to the polling place on
Monday, Jan 16, if you live in District 33.  Also, contact everyone
you know in District 33 to get them to the polls to vote for MICK
STATON.

As we all know, unfortunately, the Virginia Senate has been a
roadblock in getting important pro-gun legislation passed over the
last four years.  It has even come close to passing a bill that could
destroy gun shows.  If you live in MICK STATON's District here is your
chance to begin fixing the Senate to make it more pro-gun!

Do NOT miss this vitally important opportunity to elect a pro-gun
leader.

I urge you to vote for MICK STATON on Monday, Jan 16!

Sincerely,

Kenneth M. Elliott, Jr.

Treasurer, VCDL-PAC

---------------------------------------------------
Authorized by the Treasurer, VCDL-PAC VA 01-042
NOT authorized by any candidate or political party
---------------------------------------------------
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:20:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Ok guys, today is the day.  The Dems are still gloating over ousting Delegate Black.  Here's a chance for some payback by supporting Mick Staton.

When you come vote, be sure to day HI to me & HR.  I'll be working inside at the credentials table from 11-3.  HR will be there from 1:30-7.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:29:02 AM EDT
[#11]
We will swing by tonight after work before 7p and say hey to HR.

Thanks for your hard work!!
DD
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:00:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks to all who voted!  Mick won handily.

Now we have two weeks until the special election against the Democrat.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:56:50 AM EDT
[#13]
EXCELLENT !!!! Thanks for keeping us updated too.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top