Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2005 1:04:08 AM EDT
The law prevents non approved handguns from being sold from a dealer, however we can still own them.

Does that mean you could, without altering any part and using only legally aquired parts, change a gun on the approved list to one not on the list? For example, changing a .357 Desert Eagle into a .50 Desert Eagle by changing the bolt and barrel; or changing the barrel/slide on a 1911 to a length not on the list. Would either of those be ok?

I don't see why not, just want to be sure though.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:28:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, this is correct, you can also send the gun off to have it finished in brushed nickel, chrom etc.  I know putting different finishes, or c hanging calibres makes it unsafe, but this is a risk I am willing to take.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:44:37 PM EDT
[#2]
As far as I know, a gun must be approved in order for a dealer (FFL) to sell it to a resident of CA.  Consignment guns and private party transfers do not have to be on the list.  The exception would be someone out of state trying to transfer a gun not on the list to someone that lives in CA.  Once it's transfered from the dealer to the end-user, you can do almost anything you want to it. (i.e. put a Glock 24 upper on a Glock 22 lower even though the Glock 24 isn't 'approved')
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:45:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got several 1911 purchases planned over the next year or so inorder to get a decent stash of "build up guns" in my collection for future use whether it be building a custom carry gun or a game gun for 3 gun.

Just gonna buy some of the most basic 1911s I can, maybe 2 from Springfield and 2 from Colt.     Then a LOT will get thrown away or sold off on gun forums for cheap while I build them up with the parts I want to use.

I WAS DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB FOR NOT BUYING A COUPLE WORTH WHILE FRAMES BEFORE THE HANDGUN APROVAL BILL WENT INTO EFFECT.     I should have bought a STI or SVI frame or two before the ban went into effect, a Caspian frame would have been nice as well.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:08:14 PM EDT
[#4]
When the "handguns must have mag disconnect and loaded chamber indicator" law passes, you can bet the first thing I'll do is fine a way to disable the mag disconenct.

Stupid idea brought forth by gun know-nothings.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:56:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
When the "handguns must have mag disconnect and loaded chamber indicator" law passes, you can bet the first thing I'll do is fine a way to disable the mag disconenct.

Stupid idea brought forth by gun know-nothings.

That's the reason I'm gonna buy a couple non-FUBAR 1911s.    I honestly don't know how they will get a 1911 to comply with that magazine disconnect safety nonsense, I can see ways around the chamber loaded indicator hub-bub and not effect the gun as a whole(either external extractor that raises above slide profile or a simple hole drilled in the top of the chamber).

But a manual disconnect safety on a 1911?   That is an abomination and a mechanical cluster fuck if I ever saw one.

And I suppose these stupid laws are going to just ignore revolvers?    Thank god I'm an N-frame fanatic and have a rather nice collection as it sits now, still looking for 4-5 more collectible models though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top