Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/1/2005 1:04:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/1/2005 1:05:33 AM EDT by NeoWeird]
The law prevents non approved handguns from being sold from a dealer, however we can still own them.

Does that mean you could, without altering any part and using only legally aquired parts, change a gun on the approved list to one not on the list? For example, changing a .357 Desert Eagle into a .50 Desert Eagle by changing the bolt and barrel; or changing the barrel/slide on a 1911 to a length not on the list. Would either of those be ok?

I don't see why not, just want to be sure though.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:28:24 AM EDT
Yes, this is correct, you can also send the gun off to have it finished in brushed nickel, chrom etc. I know putting different finishes, or c hanging calibres makes it unsafe, but this is a risk I am willing to take.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:44:37 PM EDT
As far as I know, a gun must be approved in order for a dealer (FFL) to sell it to a resident of CA. Consignment guns and private party transfers do not have to be on the list. The exception would be someone out of state trying to transfer a gun not on the list to someone that lives in CA. Once it's transfered from the dealer to the end-user, you can do almost anything you want to it. (i.e. put a Glock 24 upper on a Glock 22 lower even though the Glock 24 isn't 'approved')
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:45:21 PM EDT
I've got several 1911 purchases planned over the next year or so inorder to get a decent stash of "build up guns" in my collection for future use whether it be building a custom carry gun or a game gun for 3 gun.

Just gonna buy some of the most basic 1911s I can, maybe 2 from Springfield and 2 from Colt. Then a LOT will get thrown away or sold off on gun forums for cheap while I build them up with the parts I want to use.

I WAS DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB FOR NOT BUYING A COUPLE WORTH WHILE FRAMES BEFORE THE HANDGUN APROVAL BILL WENT INTO EFFECT. I should have bought a STI or SVI frame or two before the ban went into effect, a Caspian frame would have been nice as well.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:08:14 PM EDT
When the "handguns must have mag disconnect and loaded chamber indicator" law passes, you can bet the first thing I'll do is fine a way to disable the mag disconenct.

Stupid idea brought forth by gun know-nothings.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:56:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By leelaw:
When the "handguns must have mag disconnect and loaded chamber indicator" law passes, you can bet the first thing I'll do is fine a way to disable the mag disconenct.

Stupid idea brought forth by gun know-nothings.

That's the reason I'm gonna buy a couple non-FUBAR 1911s. I honestly don't know how they will get a 1911 to comply with that magazine disconnect safety nonsense, I can see ways around the chamber loaded indicator hub-bub and not effect the gun as a whole(either external extractor that raises above slide profile or a simple hole drilled in the top of the chamber).

But a manual disconnect safety on a 1911? That is an abomination and a mechanical cluster fuck if I ever saw one.

And I suppose these stupid laws are going to just ignore revolvers? Thank god I'm an N-frame fanatic and have a rather nice collection as it sits now, still looking for 4-5 more collectible models though.
Top Top