Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2006 1:36:09 PM EDT
Are they just gonna take it in the can here or what?  They raised the gunshow admission siting "PENDING" litigation over the AWB...  AFAIK it seems to be "pending" INDEFINITELY.

Are they waiting to see what happens with HB 347?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:56:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Good ?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:44:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Are they just gonna take it in the can here or what?  They raised the gunshow admission siting "PENDING" litigation over the AWB...  AFAIK it seems to be "pending" INDEFINITELY.

Unfortunetly someone has to get dinged by the law before there is an actionable claim to litigate.  Until someone gets arrested for being in possession of a banned firearm any suit filed would not be "ripe" for litigation and would be dimissed.  

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:53:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Hold your horses.  Make a donation to PRO, and a donation to Buckeye Firearms Association and see what happens.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:43:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you contacted Peoples Rights Organization to learn more? If you are a member, you would know through the website (www.peoplesrights.org), PROponent newsletter, and monthly membership meetings that significant progress has been made.

PRO has advocated from the beginning not waiting on HB347. The NRA is waiting, though, and has chosen to put all its eggs in the legislative basket rather than look to the courts. PRO believes a two-front assault is necessary and while we are pushing for 347 in the Ohio General Assembly, we have things pretty much lined up for court. And no lack of people who have been harmed...the list is already many. We have numerous volunteers who want to be plaintiffs.  

PRO just paid off a $7,000 legal bill for initial work to lay groundwork and get the suit ready. At this point, we are in the process of raising additional minimum $20,000 for attorneys to file the actual suit. This is the deposit on the suit activity itself. Attorneys are not cheap and money does not grow on trees.  The first time around, in 1989, it took PRO more than 18 months to raise funds to file suit. It has not yet been a year since the law was passed, let alone put into effect. It will take a while to raise the $20,000 deposit. But keep in mind the suit altogether will cost anywhere from $80,000 to $100,000 to prosecute.  And we're not waiting on the legislature, since 347 faces an uphill battle in the Ohio Senate.

This is where your additional admission fees are going. Want to make a difference? Consider a donation to Peoples Rights Organization's Legal Defense Fund, 4444 Indianola Avenue, Columbus, Ohio 43214. Many PRO members have converted their annual memberships to life memberships, and asked that the difference go toward the legal defense fund. University firearms team coaches in different parts of Ohio have made separate contributions. Columbus police officers, as well as LEO's throughout Ohio, have joined and made contributions to the legal defense fund.

If you need additional information, you can contact PRO officers or members of its Board of Trustees via the organization website.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:07:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Are they waiting to see what happens with HB 347?

Probably

Why throw money at a problem that has a good chance of going away in a few months? I know it sucks for you Columbus guys right now, but I think that PRO is currenty trying to fry a fish that will feed alot of people, including you.

ETA Thanks BrentG!!!!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:17:16 AM EDT
[#6]
With all due respect, this is anything but a slam dunk.

The problems do NOT stand a good chance of going away in a few months. Taft has now threatened a veto on 347.  But the larger problem has always been the RINOs in the Ohio Senate.  And when this bill was introduced, I wrote in PROponent magazine that this bill would sail through the Ohio House but face a buzzsaw in the Senate.  The question is whether the Senate, which has NEVER liked passing gun laws without loading them up with a myriad of restrictions, will listen to the mandate in the Ohio House.  

There have also been some rumblings around the Statehouse that many urban Dems and middle of the road Republicans in the House voted for 347 because they believe it is dead on arrival in the Ohio Senate. I hope not, but we have seen it several times in previous years. One house will vote for a measure to protect themselves with voters, even though they don't like the bill.....because they know it doesn't stand a chance on the other side.

Fortunately, this time around, Taft's veto threat is the most hollow in the history of his administration. Taft no longer has any power base. He disgraced the GOP and Ohio, generally. His history of giving plum jobs (commission heads, heads of departments, etc.) to lawmakers after they leave office due to term limits -- if they did his dirty work in the Ohio General Assembly -- is meaningless today. Fact is, a lot of GOP lawmakers who would support firearms owners are keeping their distance from Taft. Their fear is that he is poison to them when they run for re-election.

Plus, the other unknown for Senators, is how the various firearms rights groups like the NRA, Peoples Rights Organization, Buckeye Firearms Association, Ohio Gun Rights Coalition and Ohioans for Concealed Carry will react if they waffle.  And that uncertainty is a good thing! :)

All in all, 347 is anything but a sure thing. Which is why PRO has not let up on legal plans. Multiple attacks on multiple fronts. Until 347 is law, these frivilous bans are still possible anywhere in Ohio.  In its 17 years fighting for gun owners across Ohio on a myriad of issues - not just CCW -  PRO has witnessed too many bills that seemed "sure things."  Unfortunately, no one can let up any kind of pressure assuming this bill will pass.

One final reminder. Spread the word and make sure everyone who supports 347 contacts their Senators with telephone calls and hand-written or typed letters. Avoid pre-packaged email letters. Senators pay more attention to a handwritten letter than form letters from organizations (because you took the time from work, family etc. to put your thoughts on paper). Like the other pro-gun groups, Peoples Rights Organization is regularly providing news updates on its website (www.peoplesright.ort).
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:25:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I volunteer to be the test subject, really!. Come and get my ar, ak, and G3. I live right by OSU.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:34:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I wonder if Ted Strickland would approve HB 347 ? I can't believe how anti-gun Taft is.

The next 3 NRA Annual Conventions beginning in 2007 are :
2007 St. Louis, MO
2008 Louisville, KY
2009 Phoenix, AZ

I'm going to all 3 since Kolumbus ran them away.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top