Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2011 10:36:15 PM EDT
I'm going on a trip next week to Los Angeles.

I will be staying at a hotel about a mile southwest of the Staples center.

I'm curious as to how good/bad the neighborhood is, and how dangerous it is to be outdoors at night in this area.

ETA: Actually read the forum rules and removed joke about California.

Link Posted: 3/5/2011 12:33:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Watch your back/ass. Don`t display cash. Keep your eyes open.
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 12:40:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Watch your back/ass. Don`t display cash. Keep your eyes open.

Pretty much what I figured. I am going to be given about 35 dollars a day in cash. I don't plan to keep more than 20 on me any particular time. I figure if I leave the hotel between games, I'll be in a group of at least 4, maybe 8 people.

Also, I'm curious how expensive food is.

Link Posted: 3/5/2011 12:10:46 PM EDT
[#3]
That is a shitty neighborhood.  Stay together, and walk in two's with some separation.  It makes you all harder targets.  If possible change hotels to a downtown hotel.  It is strange in that part of town because USC is right there in a sea of sewer water.

Use Google maps street view to plot your trips now.  Take a look at what is around.
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 12:49:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Within a relatively short distance, you can find anything from Jack in the Box to high end resturants.  Best bet is things like Coco's, Carrow's, Marie Calendar's, and such.  Not sure exactly where you are staying, or I'd have some address' for you.
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 1:14:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That is a shitty neighborhood.  Stay together, and walk in two's with some separation.  It makes you all harder targets.  If possible change hotels to a downtown hotel.  It is strange in that part of town because USC is right there in a sea of sewer water.

Use Google maps street view to plot your trips now.  Take a look at what is around.

This.

Dont leave your females alone at night. Lots of weird folk come out at night.
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 1:15:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I never got why someone would pay to go to a school in such a shitty area... but I'm a UCLA fan so that's not really surprising, is it?

Link Posted: 3/5/2011 1:46:21 PM EDT
[#7]
shitty area. Head on a swivel after dark. Preferably NOT on foot.  Heavily hispanic illegal area. 1mi SW is in area of USC, Boundary black / mexican area. High street crime area.

There are much nicer and safer places to stay, within a few miles of downtown center, in several directions. The 'added convenience' of being close is not worth the increased risks, IMAO.
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 2:33:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

shitty area. Head on a swivel after dark. Preferably NOT on foot.  Heavily hispanic illegal area. 1mi SW is in area of USC, Boundary black / mexican area. High street crime area.

There are much nicer and safer places to stay, within a few miles of downtown center, in several directions. The 'added convenience' of being close is not worth the increased risks, IMAO.

Heh, the PAC10 is putting us in this hotel. I don't exactly have much of a say in where we stay. I'm in the ASU pep band.

Link Posted: 3/5/2011 9:28:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Here is the website for the hotel. It includes the address.

http://deals.westin.com/Westin-Bonaventure-Los-Angeles-Hotel-1004/so.htm?PS=PS_aa_WSW_WestSouthwest_Google_BD_Westin_Bonaventure_Hotel_Exact_101410_NAD_FM

ETA: I read the map wrong, it's actually a mile north east.

Link Posted: 3/6/2011 9:12:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I work at the LACC a few times a year and have stayed in a number of the hotels in that area. Where you are is not bad at all. Easy walk to Staples, there is a Gold's Gym on the way if that is your thing. Good food nearby. Even though it is a good area (at least in my experience) some of the homeless folks who come out at night are a little weird. I've seen a number of movie shoots down there at night as well.
Link Posted: 3/6/2011 5:44:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I work in  downtown, Staples is actually in my district. I'm a Firefighter there. The hotel is great. Stay east of the 110 freeway and west of grand, as far as north don't go north of the 101 and south of the ten and you should be fine. If you start to stray west of the freeway you will end up in  Guatemala and  to far east you'll be on skid row. Others may say you'd be ok but the neighborhoods can get rough if you don't know where you are.  In the said ares you should be OK at nigh. Are you single, I can point you to the pubs and bars or are you looking for a place for dinner? Any other questions?
Link Posted: 3/6/2011 8:03:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I work in  downtown, Staples is actually in my district. I'm a Firefighter there. The hotel is great. Stay east of the 110 freeway and west of grand, as far as north don't go north of the 101 and south of the ten and you should be fine. If you start to stray west of the freeway you will end up in  Guatemala and  to far east you'll be on skid row. Others may say you'd be ok but the neighborhoods can get rough if you don't know where you are.  In the said ares you should be OK at nigh. Are you single, I can point you to the pubs and bars or are you looking for a place for dinner? Any other questions?

I am unfortunately under 21. I anticipate there will be ample social opportunities in the hotel, since typically all PAC10 bands are placed in the same hotel. We will be paid 35 bucks a day for food. I usually like to eat cheap, but I figure I'll probably like a nice meal a few times on this trip.

Wouldn't mind nice restaurant suggestions. I'll probably use google to find the fast food.

Link Posted: 3/8/2011 1:23:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I am unfortunately under 21. I anticipate there will be ample social opportunities in the hotel, since typically all PAC10 bands are placed in the same hotel. We will be paid 35 bucks a day for food. I usually like to eat cheap, but I figure I'll probably like a nice meal a few times on this trip.

Wouldn't mind nice restaurant suggestions. I'll probably use google to find the fast food.

If you like resturants you can try The ORIGINAL Pantry Cafe
The Original Pantry Cafe in downtown Los Angeles. Serving traditional American cuisine since 1924.
I haven't been there in number of years, but when I went, it wasn't bad.

But it may violate "medicdubs" boundaries.

Chinatown is available if you have a car, I would recommend Empress Pavilion, I was just there last week for a banquet. Have fun.

BTW: what instrument do you play in the pep band? My HS son plays the tenor sax.

ETA: Oh my I missed the post that you are staying the Bon Adventure. That is a really nice place. Both eating places that I recommmended is about a ~10-15 minute drive. Like any big city, be aware of your surroundings.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 5:54:47 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Original Pantry Cafe in downtown Los Angeles. Serving traditional American cuisine since 1924.

Chinatown is available if you have a car, I would recommend Empress Pavilion, I was just there last week for a banquet. Have fun.

BTW: what instrument do you play in the pep band? My HS son plays the tenor sax.

ETA: Oh my I missed the post that you are staying the Bon Adventure. That is a really nice place. Both eating places that I recommmended is about a ~10-15 minute drive. Like any big city, be aware of your surroundings.

I play trumpet. If your son doesn't mind extra long practices, college marching/pep band is definitely worth it! This may be my last year depending on how hard I decide to make my schedule next semester.

The band is arriving on a bus, so anything I do which isn't playing trumpet in the tournament will require walking.

Link Posted: 3/8/2011 8:39:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

The pantry doesn't violate the "boundaries", it's not a bud place to eat. Kind of overrated, long waits (1+ hour) on sat and sun mornings and after events at staples. Its a traditional greasy spoon, great if your dunk. And china town is pretty close, kind of a tourist trap, but there are some good places to eat there, have to know the area and what's safe.

Bit of info on the Pantry, it's owned by Former mayor Rich Riordan as is the Pub right next door. It's called Riordan's Place. I haven't ate there but have heard good things about it.

Link Posted: 3/8/2011 1:46:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Engine Co 28 is nice place to eat. Might be at the upper end of your price range.
http://www.engineco.com/
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 7:09:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I play trumpet. If your son doesn't mind extra long practices, college marching/pep band is definitely worth it! This may be my last year depending on how hard I decide to make my schedule next semester.

The band is arriving on a bus, so anything I do which isn't playing trumpet in the tournament will require walking.
Oh yeah, I finally remembered your post about ASU and your pep band in the GD a few years back, after I turned off my computer.

I think the buses are running at that time. There is a mini-bus that charges something like 25¢ to ride, they come like once every 5 to 10 mins. It maybe able to take you around downtown L.A. In between all of practices of course.

Also try Philippe The Original Restaurant - Chinatown, The birth place of the French dipped sandwich.

My tenor sax playing son is in marching band at his local HS. They do parades & field shows, and they practice alot, In addition to their normal class time, they practice at least 8 hours per week outside of their normal school hours during marching & parade season. These guys are pretty good, I helped them on their field show practice one night, and they had the "met" set at 192/min, and I was supposed to stay behind the battery with the portable met, I was pretty much huffing & puffing at the end of the 5 min portion of their field show.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 12:31:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Don't think there are any Carrow's or CoCo's around there.  But you should be able to easily grab a bus or Red Line train to Chinatown, Red Line Trains out to Hollywood and Universal City.  Red Line to Gold Line to Old Town Pasadena.  Been awhile but IIRC the Arco Plaza is right across the street and it had several places to eat.  Danby family used to own property around there, about a hundred years ago, sold it and moved to West Pico and Pasadena area.  West Pico rea crashed and burned the Pasadena stuff did ok.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 7:52:21 PM EDT
[#19]
The Bonaventure is a whole other issue!  You will be good to go.  It is a bit away, but try and get over to Philippe's and check out Olvera Street.

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 5:10:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Well, just returned from the trip. As usual, California (and the PAC10 band kids) did not disappoint. California would be an awesome place to live if it weren't for the people and the gun laws.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 9:48:12 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Well, just returned from the trip. As usual, California (and the PAC10 band kids) did not disappoint. California would be an awesome place to live if it weren't for the people and the gun laws.

Yep, if we had the government and politics of say, Arizona, it would be the best place in the world to live... even still I cringe at the thought of leaving, despite the problems I have being a gun owner in this state.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:43:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yea, I'm out of my mind in this place. Only like two places to shoot a rifle close enough to where I live without dumping my paycheck into the gas tank to get there. Plus I freakin' hate liberals. Wasn't politically conscious when I decided to work here. Kind of stuck now. I can live with the bullet button, 10 rounds and handgun roster. I'd leave yesterday if I could.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top