Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/10/2006 7:29:45 AM EDT
....and I had to finish the IPSC class shooting a glock.
There I said it My 1911 jammed the glock didnt.

My new Para does not like cheap ammo. I had been shooting WWB thru it without trouble and when I went to wally world they were out. So off to bimart and picked up 750 rounds in UMC value packs. Would NOT cycle in my gun. Had to use a Glock 19 to finish the class.

GRRRRR.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:36:58 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

My new Para does not like cheap ammo. I had been shooting WWB thru it without trouble and when I went to wally world they were out. So off to bimart and picked up 750 rounds in UMC value packs. Would NOT cycle in my gun. Had to use a Glock 19 to finish the class.

GRRRRR.

I bought 1000 rounds of UMC 9mm to feed my M11/9 and it would fail to cycle and jam every round, luckily my G19 has no problems with it.   I've never had issues with WWB in any caliber, and so far the miwall reloads are working fairly well too.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:41:35 AM EDT
[#2]
A real man can admit defeat....

Hats off to you for sharing.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:01:15 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Haaa Haaaa!

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:04:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:11:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Yesterday I bent the extractor on my Dads Colt Government model. I had not been shooting it much for years because it had too many FTE's to be enjoyable. So I take it to the range with the same Bimart 250rd bulk ammo box it was jamming on a couple of years ago and I got through the remaining 150 rds with no malfunctions!  After the first 50 flawless rounds I installed an 18 1/2 pound recoil spring as well.

The only downside is it rough on the brass. I posted about it on the 1911 forum and they say its normal so keep shooting it. www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=49&t=29081

So I know what you are going through, but I also know you can fix it.

I may have to give up on cheap bulk 9mm ammo because now that the .45 runs I can reload for it for the same price and have much more fun. There is simply no comparison between a 9mm and a .45 when they hit steel. The .45 is like hitting it with a baseball bat. The 9mm is only like a broomstick.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:49:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

GRRRRR.

And he still took top honors on the trial stage....

Maybe you need a little more plastic in your diet....  
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:09:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

GRRRRR.

And he still took top honors on the trial stage....

Maybe you need a little more plastic in your diet....  

Yea but my draw time sucked. I think fred said my second spilt on that stage was 1.47. Kinda makes me wish we would have done the 2 shots in 2 seconds deal. Or even the el presedenta. Great class though and much more informative then I expected. Fred Foster is a great teacher and shooter.
CH
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:23:49 AM EDT
[#8]
USP45-T
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:45:41 AM EDT
[#9]
I've bought the UMC, don't care much for it at all.  Never had any major problems, just didn't like it much.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:48:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Yep i really liked fread when i took that class. ended up using his G19 instead of my 1911 as well.. that was one of the main force in me going over to plastic fantastic was that i picked up his glock and shot a whole lot better with it then i did with my 1911.

on the trail stage we did i came in second to ilike9s only becuse he ran faster then me.. but i nailed all A zone hits :-D he dident :-P

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:07:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I've bought the UMC, don't care much for it at all.  Never had any major problems, just didn't like it much.

Well i hope it runs out of my AR
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:12:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

If not, give it to me.

It runs fine in my Colt.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:28:31 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If not, give it to me.

It runs fine in my Colt.  

9mm carbine?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:39:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Cape I'd like to say go SIG or go home but my P220, failed during the class as well. But my P226 finished the day... Just like always.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:47:18 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If not, give it to me.

It runs fine in my Colt.  

9mm carbine?

Of course not!!!

It's a Colt Government Model .45 Automatic.  Don't tell me you have a 9mm 1911. That's icky.

And no pistol caliber carbines for me unless it's for historical purposes or in .44 magnum or above
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:47:36 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If not, give it to me.

It runs fine in my Colt.  

9mm carbine?

Yeah, isn't this the guy that poo-poo'd pistol caliber carbines for PR?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:05:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If not, give it to me.

It runs fine in my Colt.  

9mm carbine?

Of course not!!!

It's a Colt Government Model .45 Automatic.  Don't tell me you have a 9mm 1911. That's icky.

And no pistol caliber carbines for me unless it's for historical purposes or in .44 magnum or above

No my 45s, epecially the colts eat everything. But yes I do have a 9mm 1911. Will have two here shortly. But only one will remain 9mm the other will become 38 sup.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:05:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Cape I'd like to say go SIG or go home but my P220, failed during the class as well. But my P226 finished the day... Just like always.

Sorry, SIGs make baby Jesus cry.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:12:11 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
No my 45s, epecially the colts eat everything. But yes I do have a 9mm 1911. Will have two here shortly. But only one will remain 9mm the other will become 38 sup.

Okay then, at least they're not made of plastic.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:27:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:38:12 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Okay then, at least they're not made of plastic.

Your not too familiar with the Para line of Hi-caps are you?

Whts that mean?
My para has no more plastic on it then any other 1911. Actually if you want ot split hairs, it has more because of the wide body
CH
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:40:44 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Yep i really liked fread when i took that class. ended up using his G19 instead of my 1911 as well.. that was one of the main force in me going over to plastic fantastic was that i picked up his glock and shot a whole lot better with it then i did with my 1911.

on the trail stage we did i came in second to ilike9s only becuse he ran faster then me.. but i nailed all A zone hits :-D he dident :-P

And his gun still works?  I'll be damned...
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:51:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:16:35 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If not, give it to me.

It runs fine in my Colt.  

9mm carbine?

Friggin Epic
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:10:25 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry, SIGs make baby Jesus cry.

Some one had too.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:37:57 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

No, not for regular PR (I don't care if you embarrass yourself with one there), but for the cheat factor when we are limited to the close range pistol bays. People I never saw before or since showed up with 9mm carbines at the CLASSIC BATTLE RIFLE MATCH so they could dominate the top 10. I guess they did this for bragging rights.  The Scum.  It's like showing up to a Cowboy Action Match with an AR15 and kicking  everyones ass. It's not in the spirit of the game.  But that day the 9mm asshats were countered by World War II reenactors who showed up in proper uniform and with proper weapons. The .45 Caliber Thompsons were fine and dandy in that setting. The Garands were outstanding. I got on the  WWII squad and had a good time. If not for them I probably would have walked from that "match."  So no wimpy pistol caliber carbines for me. They remind of a few 3-gun lowlifes who tried to ruin the Classic Battlerifle Match.

Hopefully it will be in the gravelpit this year. One of the most satisfying moments I've ever had at practical rifle was shooting a Garand at the long range mover. Afterwards I almost had to smoke a cigarette.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:45:21 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, not for regular PR (I don't care if you embarrass yourself with one there), but for the cheat factor when we are limited to the close range pistol bays. People I never saw before or since showed up with 9mm carbines at the CLASSIC BATTLE RIFLE MATCH so they could dominate the top 10. I guess they did this for bragging rights.  The Scum.  It's like showing up to a Cowboy Action Match with an AR15 and kicking  everyones ass. It's not in the spirit of the game.  But that day the 9mm asshats were countered by World War II reenactors who showed up in proper uniform and with proper weapons. The .45 Caliber Thompsons were fine and dandy in that setting. The Garands were outstanding. I got on the  WWII squad and had a good time. If not for them I probably would have walked from that "match."  So no wimpy pistol caliber carbines for me. They remind of a few 3-gun lowlifes who tried to ruin the Classic Battlerifle Match.

Hopefully it will be in the gravelpit this year. One of the most satisfying moments I've ever had at practical rifle was shooting a Garand at the long range mover. Afterwards I almost had to smoke a cigarette.

for the record I shot a czech mauser at the CBR match last year. I did shoot a 9mm ar at the night match. Didnt help much.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:11:12 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

GRRRRR.

Like I told you during the IPSC class that Glock 19 really looked at home on you.  You know you want one.

Just remember "plastic is fantastic"!!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:23:28 PM EDT
[#29]
After seeing the Glock torure test, how could you not want one for SHTF, but these thread isn't about what we think he should be buying.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:32:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Oh there are glocks in my future that is for sure. I am getting fed up with reliablity issues. Sure I can fix them and sure I can tweak them. I am just getting tired of doing it.

More shooting less talking is my motto for this coming spring/summer.
CH
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:19:27 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
After seeing the Glock torure test, how could you not want one for SHTF, but these thread isn't about what we think he should be buying.

Of course it is.  You don't expect him to make his mind up on his own do you?

Quoted:
More shooting less whining is my motto for this coming spring/summer.
CH

Fixed that for you.

Sorry, couldn't resist the temptation.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:34:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Cape,

I've been into Glocks for a few years now because they are a cheap gun that works almost every time you pull the trigger. There is not much that can go wrong with them. The G17 is easy to shoot and fits my hand well. I shoot great with it, better than any other handgun. I got all three of the pop cans with it in the pistol stage two PRs back, no problemo.

Then this past Sunday I got the Colt .45 running again and all I can say is Wow!!!  What a pistol!  I'm nowhere near as good with it but I love the way it feels in my hand, the way it goes BOOM, the way it recoils back in my hand, and the way it delivers a massive punch on a steel target.  It makes my Glock feel like a piece of cheap plastic crap in comparison.  The Colt .45 has so much of the mystic of fun while shooting it. The Glock is a plastic appliance, the Colt is a steel thoroughbred.

I would rather spend my day with a pure-bred pistol and the pleasure of shooting it than the plastic appliance. The Colt transmits a spiritual experience the Glock 9mm has no chance of conveying. Even worse, the Glock .45/10mm is a big brick in the hand, a nice piece of power but lacks the grace of the old Colt, so going up in caliber does not elevate the Glock, it burdens it.

So I’m hanging up the wimpy 9mm cap gun for a while and going back to the power of the .45 steel thoroughbred. Today I ordered reloading dies for it so it will cost me no more for ammo than the underpowered 9mm bulk packs that just don’t satisfy me anymore.

The Glock is a cheap plastic mistress and I’m sure you will soon tire of her and come back to that special feeling you can only experience when you wield the supreme power of warm steel and a heavy caliber.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:38:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:42:16 PM EDT
[#34]
I was in the garage adjusting the .45 Colt revolver dies and then came in to check-in on arfcom. The lead on my fingers from .45 bullets does that to the magic keyboard ya know
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:50:56 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Cape,

I've been into Glocks for a few years now because they are a cheap gun that works almost every time you pull the trigger. There is not much that can go wrong with them. The G17 is easy to shoot and fits my hand well. I shoot great with it, better than any other handgun. I got all three of the pop cans with it in the pistol stage two PRs back, no problemo.

Then this past Sunday I got the Colt .45 running again and all I can say is Wow!!!  What a pistol!  I'm nowhere near as good with it but I love the way it feels in my hand, the way it goes BOOM, the way it recoils back in my hand, and the way it delivers a massive punch on a steel target.  It makes my Glock feel like a piece of cheap plastic crap in comparison.  The Colt .45 has so much of the mystic of fun while shooting it. The Glock is a plastic appliance, the Colt is a steel thoroughbred.

I would rather spend my day with a pure-bred pistol and the pleasure of shooting it than the plastic appliance. The Colt transmits a spiritual experience the Glock 9mm has no chance of conveying. Even worse, the Glock .45/10mm is a big brick in the hand, a nice piece of power but lacks the grace of the old Colt, so going up in caliber does not elevate the Glock, it burdens it.

So I’m hanging up the wimpy 9mm cap gun for a while and going back to the power of the .45 steel thoroughbred. Today I ordered reloading dies for it so it will cost me no more for ammo than the underpowered 9mm bulk packs that just don’t satisfy me anymore.

The Glock is a cheap plastic mistress and I’m sure you will soon tire of her and come back to that special feeling you can only experience when you wield the supreme power of warm steel and a heavy caliber.

Me likes.

Just make sure you get a factory crimp die for the 45 acp. It is a VERY picky ctg. The lee fcd is the best cure I have found.

CH
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:52:43 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you really think they said "hey, let's go ruin a match"?

Maybe they just saw an opportunity to use a rifle they haven't shot in a while...

I don't have a CBR.  Should I just stay home?  Am I not welcome with whatever other rifle I own?  I also don't have a bolt gun, but no one seems to care that I bring my AR to the sniper match.

I personally don't see the point in getting pissed at people because of the weapon they bring.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:59:51 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe they just saw an opportunity to use a rifle they haven't shot in a while...

I don't have a CBR.  Should I just stay home?  Am I not welcome with whatever other rifle I own?  I also don't have a bolt gun, but no one seems to care that I bring my AR to the sniper match.

I personally don't see the point in getting pissed at people because of the weapon they bring.

Woooooo Nelly!!!

I think TF has a point and I would answer your question like this....if you dont have a CBR, then borrow one or stay home. Its just one match, its what it is for a reason. That doesnt mean your not welcome to come out, help score and be part of it, just leave the AR at home. I think that that is the one match a year that a strict rifle rule should apply.

No, I dont think anyone intentionally wants to ruin the match by shooting an AR and dont as they shot in there own class, but the idea that the match is a memorial match should hold some weight in a persons choice in what they shoot.

You want to come out with a pistol cal gun any other time, have at it. Nobody cares, ask gunkata!
CH
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:25:23 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I also don't have a bolt gun, but no one seems to care that I bring my AR to the sniper match.

Whatever gave you the idea a sniper rifle has to be a bolt gun?  ARs fill the precision rifle role just fine.  

So you don't mind if if I bring my AR15 to the blackpowder matches? I'm sure I can get top gun bragging rights

Yes I do think the 9mm crowd tried to crap all over the Classic Battle Rifle Match.  Randy allows anything, be it AR or AK,  because that's all some of the REGULARS have, but the pistol caliber horde only showed up because the match was held in the pistol bays. That’s why you never saw them before and haven’t seen them since. Do you really think it was right for a guy with an MP5 to take the Classic Battle Rifle Match TROPHY home?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:25:47 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Woooooo Nelly!!!

I think TF has a point and I would answer your question like this....if you dont have a CBR, then borrow one or stay home. Its just one match, its what it is for a reason. That doesnt mean your not welcome to come out, help score and be part of it, just leave the AR at home. I think that that is the one match a year that a strict rifle rule should apply.

No, I dont think anyone intentionally wants to ruin the match by shooting an AR and dont as they shot in there own class, but the idea that the match is a memorial match should hold some weight in a persons choice in what they shoot.

You want to come out with a pistol cal gun any other time, have at it. Nobody cares, ask gunkata!
CH

It seems to me that if the purity of the match theme was really an issue, the official rules would require a CBR.  People would then understand they should not come without one.  But, if other weapons are allowed, then they should be made welcome, not criticized or ridiculed.

Blackpowder doesn't allow ARs.  Neither does the trap range.  They have a rule against it...

If you want to preserve the theme, require a CBR.  Otherwise, make everyone feel welcome.  As for the Trophy, make a CBR required for it.

Until reading your post, I didn't realize I wouldn't welcome without a CBR.  Thanks for the heads-up.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:32:38 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

...I didn't realize I wouldn't welcome without a CBR.  Thanks for the heads-up.

If you are a regular you are WELCOME to bring anything. If you are a GAMER who just wants to show up to screw up a match, like bringing an AR15 to blackpowder match, then you'll just be ruining the atmosphere and you'll be reading about it here.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:42:45 AM EDT
[#41]
By the time CBR rolls around, I'll have 3 CBRs. I'll possibly have access to two more (not my own).
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:14:13 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Until reading your post, I didn't realize I wouldn't welcome without a CBR.  Thanks for the heads-up.

Its not a matter of not being welcome its a matter of YOU making a choice to take part WITHIN the THEME of hte match. The idea is to shoot a classic battle rifle. If you dont have one and still want to come out shoot your AR, fine. Just because I dont like it or TF doenst mean you cant do it. I would just think that a person would look at this as a match to honor one of our own and shoot it with the rifles that fall into the CBR class.

If you dont have one, just ask, ther are lots of peopel here willing ot let you run with one. I have an extra mauser you can shoot if you want.

TFs point about gamers coming in is valid, there is a time and place for game gunners. A classic battle rifle match is not one of them. I dont care what Randy has in the rules. I will pressure him hard to not allow any rifle but CBRs this year. That is a match I REALLY enjoy.
CH
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:04:01 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
That is a match I REALLY enjoy.

+1000

I'd shoot in a Classic Battle Rifle match every month if they had it. I'd even like to see it split up into alternate Bolt Action only matches. As it is I fire my M1 Garand so infrequently it's what I'll always be shooting.  There is not much opportunity to fire the classics against each other in a realistic setting.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:40:33 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That is a match I REALLY enjoy.

+1000

I'd shoot in a Classic Battle Rifle match every month if they had it. I'd even like to see it split up into alternate Bolt Action only matches. As it is I fire my M1 Garand so infrequently it's what I'll always be shooting.  There is not much opportunity to fire the classics against each other in a realistic setting.

.....this is why I bought a K-31....down with automatics!!

I thought it was funny last year with some of the guys with AR's bragging how well they did...
Here's my bolt-gun, now go see how well ya do...
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:47:05 AM EDT
[#45]

What if we could get some reactive targets that only a .30-06 or 8mm class rifle could knock down?  Make it mandatory and a failure to neutralize is a stage DQ.  

Maybe it could be simple like the target is on the other side of a tree stump.  How about all targets on one stage are behind tree stumps?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:10:48 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
What if we could get some reactive targets that only a .30-06 or 8mm class rifle could knock down?  Make it mandatory and a failure to neutralize is a stage DQ.  

Maybe it could be simple like the target is on the other side of a tree stump.  How about all targets on one stage are behind tree stumps?

Maybe targets on the other side of a cinderblock wall!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:43:32 PM EDT
[#47]
So now that we're WAY off topic...

Okay, so we have Cowboy Action shooting. We have modern-day Practical Rifle.

How about a Classic Battle Rifle match. Someone be an admin. Attendance would be low, use the pit (hopefully) and paper targets.

Three classes: Bolt, Semi, Subgun

Iron sights only (no snipers).

Moderately low round count (to save on cost).

Targets would be a combination of paper, soda cans, balloons, and larger plastic swingers out to 300 yards.

And make it official.

Date: 4th Sat. of the Month (or Sunday) so it doesn't conflict with Speed Steel, IPSC, or PR.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:08:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Hey TF, will you hate me if I show up shooting a semi auto Sten gun??

Like this:
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:18:03 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Hey TF, will you hate me if I show up shooting a semi auto Sten gun??

Different class. Bring the Thompson!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:45:18 PM EDT
[#50]
I was at the clasic match with an AK.  Jay took first in the sub gun catagory and I took first in the not-clasic catagory.  I dont think Jay took a trophy home, I know I did not. The person that did win the match with a clasic rifle did get a trophy. This is just what I remimber and I could be wrong.

And yes I did feel like a terd accepting the certificat.  I am a regular at the matches and will have a Grand by the next one.

No offence was taken by any previous posts.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top