Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2011 7:34:58 AM EDT
I absolutely hate Canadian Geese, so this year I figure I could do my small part in taking revenge against said animals via hunting.

So, having said that, I have never hunted geese before, nor really know anyone that does it. I've hunted deer before and understand all the rules and regulations, I know dealing with migratory birds is quite different and have read as much as I can on the ODNR website. Is there any other good resource to check into to learn about how to go about hunting?

Link Posted: 9/1/2011 7:42:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I hunt them with my front bumper..... :)
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 12:07:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Harvested Cornfields.... decoys and more decoys  all kinds of decoys a good coffin blind or straw blind  and 3" shells #4 shot full choke... Geese are very visual driven birds they will gather with others in large numbers The more your setup looks like a field of active geese the better you will do.

They are not like ducks in the respect of gathering geese prefer land and duck prefer water...

Nothing is a better teacher than trial and error..

You do eat what you kill right?

One other way is ambush hunting.. Find a tree line near water in the early morning they will go to water first thing... They fly relatively low, when they fly over step out and blast away.  I have done it many times at Deleware state park...
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 12:45:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Steel shot, BB or BBB loads.  Shotgun must not be able of holding more than 3 shots.  Check some of the waterfowl message boards, you might find some help there.
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 5:07:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info , i knew steel shot was a requirement (Got plenty of it , so no issues there). I figured either water or a corn field was the best place to hunt at, is there a way to get relatively cheap decoys?

Yes, I eat what I hunt, and love every bite ;)
Link Posted: 9/2/2011 7:55:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Goose hunting is an expensive hobby.  Decoys aren't cheap, and it isn't easy to do without a goose call.  Calling is a bit of an art.
Link Posted: 9/2/2011 8:56:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Harvested Cornfields.... decoys and more decoys all kinds of decoys a good coffin blind or straw blind and 3" shells #4 shot full choke... Geese are very visual driven birds they will gather with others in large numbers The more your setup looks like a field of active geese the better you will do.

They are not like ducks in the respect of gathering geese prefer land and duck prefer water...

Nothing is a better teacher than trial and error..

You do eat what you kill right?

One other way is ambush hunting.. Find a tree line near water in the early morning they will go to water first thing... They fly relatively low, when they fly over step out and blast away. I have done it many times at Deleware state park...

Quoted:

Goose hunting is an expensive hobby. Decoys aren't cheap, and it isn't easy to do without a goose call. Calling is a bit of an art.

I watched Jerry Miculek and his family hunt geese in KS (I think) on Shooting USA and this stood out to me.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 7:50:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Let me know how it turns out.  I've been slowly learning over the past couple years with limited success.  I'd definitely be down to learn with someone else.  I'll probably be out of the state through the holidays but there's always next season.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 5:36:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I've found geese way less astute than ducks. A spread of white and black rags have even been used as decoys. They seem to like motion as well. Once in Iowa I was hunting pheasant with a black and white springer. I was walking in the wide open corn stubble wearing an orange vest.  The dam things locked wings and tried to land on my dog while he was quartering! (Google tolling dogs)

ETA: I remember someone selling black wing decals you would stick on white bleach bottles for cheap decoys. Large numbers seemed to matter more than any semblance of realism.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 1:21:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Shucks, around here all you'd need is a loaf of bread and a putter!

Actually, ya also would need to be stealthy cuz I'm sure it wouldn't be legal but I bet alot of business owners would be awfully greatful!

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 4:58:27 AM EDT
[#10]
i love to goose hunt, i did alot of it back in Illinois when i lived there, havent found any place here in Ohio, but start off with shells (deeks) and then a layout blind.  contact me and i can tell you more and how to get started. but when they lock  up its a blast!
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top