Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2006 2:49:01 PM EDT

To good of a deal to be true is the first indication of a con.

-------------- Reply Sent: --------------
To: [email protected]
Subject: 2004 KTM 625 SXC Dual sport - $2400
Date: Sun, Feb 5, 2006

A third party is fine but I will only do this through one of the local cycle shops I use near my house. I will give them payment in full and they will send the payment after the bike is received. If you don't want to do it this way then I don't think I'm going to be in your bike unless I find a friend to pick it up in person. Please send your phone number if you would like to discuss this further.

Thank you
RS

Hello Sir.
This motorcycle is here with me in Laurel, Mississippi.. We can arrange the deal if you want. I can come to meet you somewhere on the halfway or I can shipp it to your address. Tell me what way do you agree ?
Shipping is more simple. I'll shipp by Forward Air Company ( www.forwardair.com) and you'll receive it in 48 hours. It will coast $320 but I'll cover 50% from the fees. So you'll have to pay me only $2,560. You'll have to wire the money by a money order. Or I have another solution.  I'm affiliated at www.verotel.com .I have a a purchase protection account for 20,000$ and I assume you know what this means.
The financial part of this deal will be manage by them. They are acting like a third party in this deal. Also, I have to let you know that I want a proof that you have all the money available for this deal as I will ship it in the same day or next day morning ,after you prove to me that you are the real buyer. Since this deal will be made using a THIRD PARTY to help us closing this deal, I prefer honest buyers. Anyway, if you want more details about this deal, please reply with the following information's:
-Your full name;
-Your shipping address;
After I'll receive your message with your FULL NAME and your COMPLETE SHIPPING ADDRESS I'll inform them to start the transaction. I will look for your email, so that we can move forward with this deal!

Waiting for your reply.

Dennis

On 1/30/06, rscoyote@xxxxxxxxxx<rscoyote@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Yes I want it. I'm near Tacoma. What is a number I can reach you at? Where is this bike located?

Bob

-------------- Original message --------------

Hello there.

This KTM 625 SXC is from 2004 and the price for it is $2,400. It's in a great condition, and it have a clean title. There are no scratches and no mechanical problems. I am the second owner and it have only 8,000 miles. If you like it and you want to buy, contact me now and we will arrange the deal. Tell me also where exactly are you located ?

Thanks.

Dennis Barnes

On 1/25/06, rscoyote@xxxxxxxxxx <rscoyote@xxxxxxx> wrote:
craigslist Advisory: Fraud and Scam Warning!
Please read our scam advisory page before replying to this message:
http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams.html

This warning is automatically attached to
ALL craigslist forwarded emails

Also where are you located?

Thanks
Bob
253 555 5555
-------------- Forwarded Message: --------------
To: [email protected]
Subject: 2004 KTM 625 SXC Dual sport - $2400
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 21:32:44 +0000

Please call me ASAP @ 253 555 5555 I'll be able to answer the phone of call you back after 4:15 pm.

Thanks
RS

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:31:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Its a con.

His slightly broken english is your 1st clue as well as his eagerness to complete the deal via the place he is 'affiliated' with.

Walk away or lose your ca$h
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:52:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Its a con.

His slightly broken english is your 1st clue as well as his eagerness to complete the deal via the place he is 'affiliated' with.

Walk away or lose your ca$h

I agree, "I have a 20,000$ purchase protection account"

"I can come to meet you somewhere on the halfway"

"after you prove to me that you are the real buyer"
"I prefer honest buyers"

The person that wrote this immediately places themselves on the defensive against dishonest buyers, why?  It's called transferrence.

The writing form and bad grammar are good indications that this person did not spend very much time writing this advertisement and hence did not change it very much from their native writing style.

I'm guessing the person writing it is from the Carribean from the overuse of the words "this" "deal" and the misuse of "a".  The location of the dollar sign is a common slipup for someone who uses their monetary symbol after the amount, British pounds, Egyptian pounds, Euro... a lot of these may be placed either before or after the amount.  

The guy calls himself Dennis too, for some reason it just reminds me of Jamaica.

i'd cut and leave it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:35:24 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

i'd cut and leave it.

I agree. This deal sounded to good from the get go. But never know sometimes they are out there. When this was first advertised I thought it was local to WA State. I would have had cash in hand the same day if it had a clear title and a FTF transaction.

You guys put an interesting perspective on it.

I have been eyeing the KTM 525 since they came out. But my old 1997 ATK 605 USA made dirt bike still has a few years I can ride her but parts are going to start becoming extinct very soon. 2004 was the last production run
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:57:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Walk.  No run from this deal.  He sounds like an asshat.

WWC45D
What would Cherry_45 Do?

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:01:10 PM EDT
[#5]
SCAM
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:39:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Walk.  No run from this deal.  He sounds like an asshat.

WWC45D

What would Cherry_45 Do?

Get Mr. Coyote that brand new shiny KTM 525 fo his Birfday.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:06:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Con.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:17:39 AM EDT
[#8]
It sure smells like a con to me.  Only using his choice of shipping?  Knowing exactly how much it will cost before he asks for your shipping address and instructions?  I'll bet that third party escrow joint isn't a neutral third party.  Tell him you want to use one that you both mutally agree to.

Or, tell the seller you've always wanted to visit Laurel, MO, you have a long lost uncle there, you will come to them right now, arrange your own shipping, and you will give them cold hard cash after having the VIN number checked to make sure it's not stolen and the bike is standing right in front of you.

You may be able to hear the screams in the silence you'll probably get.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:21:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I know some folks in the FBI that are following folks like this guy around! lol  I have had sooooo many bull chit lines like this, main one is they will send a payment for more then what you are asking and have you wire their buddy the money to pick the bike up for them... you deposit the check, wire the money and they are gone... few days later feds are knocking on your door, coming to take you away!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:12:55 AM EDT
[#10]
At the top of the craigslist pages is a note about "third party" scams.

Typical scammer crap
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:37:39 AM EDT
[#11]
And wiring money is their favorite method of payment. Hey, that reminds me...the nephew of the recently deposed king of Shitpotzia asked me to put ten million dollars in my account for "safekeeping". I don't have room for more than 3.5. Can you take care of the rest of it for him? His friends in Nigeria will vouch for his "standuppedness".
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:07:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Why dont you go to the MS boards and have somebody check it out for you?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:54:00 PM EDT
[#13]
known scam....

overpay with fake funds, and then have you 'refund' the difference... bye bye money...
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:36:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Why dont you go to the MS boards and have somebody check it out for you?

Because after all it is a con on the other end. I have been scammed/screwed a few times FTF. So now I try to play it safe when it comes to my dollar.

This guy probably won't email me again, and that is fine with me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top