Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2009 4:04:54 AM EDT
I wasn't aware until this morning, that before leaving office two weeks ago, outgoing Navy Secretary Donald Winter quietly gave John Murtha the Navy's highest civilian honor.

Citing Murtha's "courageous leadership, vision, and loyalty to the men and women of the Department of the Navy,"

LOYALTY to DON men and women?  Last I checked, Marines were under the DON...and this guy threw 7 of them and a FMF Corpsman under the bus and called them war criminals for what he said happened in Haditha.  Of the 8, six had their cases dismissed, one was found not guilty and the other is continued.  Murtha has not shown any remorse for his words, has not taken any of them back, and has not apologized to any of the Marines and the Corpsman he publicly defamed.

Up to you whether to sign or not...but to receive an award for supporting Sailors and Marines, while at the same time doing the exact opposite, just doesn't sit well with me.

Petition Here

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:54:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I signed it and sent it on to my friends.  Hopefully FoxNews will pick this story up and publish the existence of this petition.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:59:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Done!
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:26:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Done!
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:22:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Done.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:58:25 AM EDT
[#5]
done
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:44:28 PM EDT
[#6]
DONE
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 1:27:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Done.

Thanks for posting this.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 1:37:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Done

Jeremy
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 1:58:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Well heck, while they're at it why don't they just include John Kerry?

Murtha is a disgrace!
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:16:42 PM EDT
[#10]
So what did Murtha do that was disgraceful (legit question, I'm not challenging the topic here)?  

I support our troops 110% (I used to be one), but *IF* the Wikipedia article on the Haditha incident is correct, there was a lot of f'd up stuff that went on around this whole thing, and IMO it doesn't reflect well on the US Military.  MOST of the soldiers involved got charges dismissed/dropped in return for their cooperation/testimony.  That doesn't mean they weren't guilty, and it's a convenient way to use 'due process' to not punish someone who would otherwise deserve it.  

Again, I'm NOT advocating that Murtha deserves the award, but based on the overview of the the whole thing, I'm not surprised that politicians were taking negative public stance on it.  I don't have enough information to feel like I can sign the petition with a clear conscience.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:24:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Done, thanks for the link
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 4:43:15 AM EDT
[#12]
done!
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 5:52:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Done.  Thanks for the heads up!  Semper Fi.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top