Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2014 5:52:13 PM EDT
http://www.newsday.com/long-island/towns/shooting-range-noise-in-islip-has-neighbors-up-in-arms-1.9318713

A decades-old Islip Town firing range utilized by hundreds of shooters each year -- including several government agency employees -- has itself come under fire from residents sick of continued gunshot sounds ricocheting throughout their normally quiet neighborhood.
Law enforcement officials from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, the U.S. Marshals Service and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, along with state and county court officers, use the range on Freeman Avenue in Islip hamlet during business hours on weekdays.
But weekends during the summer at Islip Rifle, Pistol and Archery Range are troublesome, some residents say. That's when the public can use the 28 firing stations, and as many as 70 people are shooting "nonstop" between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., residents and town officials said.

Kim Loeffler, who lives on Brookville Avenue west of the range, said weekend barbecues are hindered by the blasts. Young children scream and become "so frightened," while an Iraq War veteran suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder tries to find ways to cope with the noises, she said.
"It's the sound of continuous bullets, and I'm not talking 'pop, pop.' I'm talking about repeated firing," Loeffler said at a town board meeting last month.
ICE officials on Sept. 1 signed a one-year, $40,500 contract with the town to continue to use the range.
Agents from the U.S. Marshals Service already use the facility on a per-session basis, but a proposed $28,600 one-year contract was rejected at last week's town board meeting. Council members Trish Bergin Weichbrodt and Steven J. Flotteron cast "no" votes, and the resolution failed with a split 2-2 vote. Supervisor Tom Croci and Councilman John C. Cochrane Jr. voted to approve it, and Councilman Anthony Senft was absent.
"I am reluctant to bring another agency into that facility until we can make structural and noise-mitigating changes so that we can strike a balance between these agencies that need safe places to train and the community that is looking for noise abatement," Bergin Weichbrodt said.
A wall measuring 150 feet long, 8 feet wide and 10 feet high was installed last September in the center of the range to help reduce noise, but there are no mitigation measures on the western or northern ends that border the residential areas along Spur Drive South and Brookville Avenue.
Loeffler presented 100 signatures to the town from neighbors demanding action.
Town officials said they will seek federal funding for a possible remodel of the range -- originally built around 1960 -- which could include additional walls on the south and north ends of the property, as well as a soundproof overhang above the shooting area to muffle the sounds.
"We're at the beginning stages of the plan, but it is something that is very important to us," Bergin Weichbrodt said.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 6:32:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey guys the noise is so annoying but the property is so damn cheap! Let's move in and shut them down!
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 7:12:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I have no sympathy for these people. The range has been there forever. If you don't like it, don't move there.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 7:39:26 PM EDT
[#3]
oh yeah -- been having fun battling it out with a couple of libtard trolls on the snoozeday site now.....
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:15:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Oh the continuous bullets!

I wonder how "so frightened" these children were around the 4th of July?
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:28:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Pantywaist's
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:36:01 AM EDT
[#6]
It isn't even the only range on that street. The Long Island Shooting Center is on the other side of Freeman Ave. I doubt there is even a 1/2 mile between them. Both ranges are in Brookville Ave's backyard.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:41:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Love the Arfcommer from Virginia who constantly posts here "NY? Don't care" yet he's registered on a Long Island newspaper's site with the same avatar commenting on articles.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:36:43 AM EDT
[#8]
didn't they do this at the trap range too.

cheap land due to range, move in, try and kick out range.

classic.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:45:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Ha ha...fuck those people.        

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:49:29 AM EDT
[#10]
This is like the people who move upstate next to a farm and then complain about the tractors, hay wagons and cow shit smells.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:21:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is like the people who move upstate next to a farm and then complain about the tractors, hay wagons and cow shit smells.
View Quote

Used to be able to pick out the city kids on campus because they'd be walking around with their faces covered up when the farmer nearby was spreading shit.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:11:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Used to be able to pick out the city kids on campus because they'd be walking around with their faces covered up when the farmer nearby was spreading shit.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol... you should see them at SUNY Cobleskill...  I'll admit some of the slurry type shit is terrible compared to more or less fresh manure but here the farmers were here first.  It is just one of the things you need to look into when you move.  People like to complain about blasting when they move in next to a quarry too.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:49:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Islip approved the contract with the U.S Marshals last night.

The Islip Town Council at a board meeting Tuesday night approved by a split vote a controversial one-year contract with the U.S. Marshals Service to use the town-owned outdoor gun range.

More than a dozen Islip residents spoke at the 7 p.m. meeting, some in favor of Islip Rifle, Pistol and Archery Range, citing Second Amendment rights. Others, who live nearby, railed against the contract and played for the packed board room audio recordings of the gunshot sounds they say pollute their neighborhood
Town Board members Trish Bergin Weichbrodt and Anthony S. Senft cast votes against the $28,600 contract, while Supervisor Tom Croci and Councilmen John C. Cochrane Jr. and Steven J. Flotteron voted to approve it. The measure failed at the last board meeting two weeks ago on a 2-2 vote.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 10:19:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Well, if the State allowed "suppressors" the problem would be greatly reduced.....
Stupid fuckers; sound doesn't ricochet, it echoes....of course this echoes with people that spend too much money and suddenly think they're "entitled" and others have to cease their lawful activity.  [>://
They do the same thing when Farms start spreading manure.....you live in the country, you've got to expect some smells, you buy a house by the Airport, you're going to hear Jets.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 10:02:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I was at the board meeting,some good sob stories..
Kids ducking in their homes,kids getting PTSD,blah blah blah
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 12:56:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Solution: move back to NYC for the peaceful quiet and safety.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 6:14:32 PM EDT
[#17]
It's the sound of continuous bullets

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:03:45 AM EDT
[#18]
senft voted against it...douchebag..his dad is a hero from the NYPD got blown up in 1982 by the FALN at police plaza trying to diffuse a bomb. this surprises me then again his wife was screwing the personal trainer at the gym she went to and he cried like a a little pansy ass and still is married to her..that alone should tell you something about his mettle...his dad great guy too bad this tool fell far from the tree.hey senft cant wait for next election to vote you out of office you tool.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:45:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
senft voted against it...douchebag..his dad is a hero from the NYPD got blown up in 1982 by the FALN at police plaza trying to diffuse a bomb. this surprises me then again his wife was screwing the personal trainer at the gym she went to and he cried like a a little pansy ass and still is married to her..that alone should tell you something about his mettle...his dad great guy too bad this tool fell far from the tree.hey senft cant wait for next election to vote you out of office you tool.
View Quote

Voted against what? More government using a town/taxpayer range that we can barely use?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:04:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Voted against what? More government using a town/taxpayer range that we can barely use?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wish that was their intention but you know as well as I that that no vote wasn't about keeping the US marshalls out because it leaves less time for rec shooters..that no vote was all about cowtowing to the jerkoffs who bought their homes next to a shooting range and procuring more votes..its the first step in shutting down that range for everyone...now I can go back many years about that whole area..let me explain for some people who don't live on long island...about myself I am now a florida resident going back and forth winters in florida summers in ny hold a florida drivers license...I grew up a stone throws from that area...50 years old now..this same shit happened when the speedway was there many years ago...it closed in 1984....the people complained it was too loud and nascar had not taken off yet and I am sure silver lake cookie factory which now occupies the land paid off the politicians in islip town handsomely because that's how it went and goes in politics...but back to the subject....
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:04:34 PM EDT
[#21]
people complained shut the track... and now they have a cookie factory and a golds gym on the property and some other small business...I drive by that range everyday since I am a member of the gym...they have made improvements to the range and it has changed...back in the day the public mainly used now it seems law enforcement uses it most of the time...I haven't used that range in years but just by driving by it I can see they changed the whole set up....my guns are left in florida.....so I don't use the range...but believe me the no votes were not about making more space for you and me it was about political votes only..if you knew both of them trish and Anthony senft...you wouldn't think any other way...trish bergin does nothing in life that is for the good of the people...its for the advancement of her career...senft well...I already said enough about that...and he is a lawyer also so there ya go..
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:25:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
oh yeah -- been having fun battling it out with a couple of libtard trolls on the snoozeday site now.....
View Quote

I got banned from snoozeday a long time ago.

That said, this is the way they will close ranges. Same way they closed race tracks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top