Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2018 7:54:54 PM EDT
Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm a n00b.

So, just to make sure I'm reading this right (remember, I moved from the Commie state of Illinois), I can do a face to face transfer, of MO resident to MO resident, with no paperwork???
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 8:13:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Correct.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 9:21:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup. I always got a receipt when doing so just incase it was stolen or something. If they balked at giving me a receipt I probably didn’t need to buy it from them.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 9:58:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I usually require my buyer to have a ccw or c&r.   If not, they can pick it up from my ffl buddy.  Not worth the liability to me even though the law says I can sell it to them.  $20 for a transfer is cheap insurance.  I had guy back out of the sale when I said he'd have to go to a ffl (no cost to him).....buying a ruger lcp, but didn't have a ccw endorsement was a red flag to me.  He said it was the principle of the thing and he refuses to fill out paperwork......yeah whatever.....like anyone here has never filled 4473 before.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 10:06:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, I think I'd feel better with a bill of sale and at minimum a driver's license copy.  Last thing I'd want is to sell a firearm, have someone commit a crime, then come after me because I was the last one it was registered to.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 10:43:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, I think I'd feel better with a bill of sale and at minimum a driver's license copy.  Last thing I'd want is to sell a firearm, have someone commit a crime, then come after me because I was the last one it was registered to.

Thanks guys.
View Quote
I'll email you a copy of the bill of sale a lawyer on GlockTalk came up with years ago.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 12:29:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Be sure to list your requirements for purchase.

You will eliminate a lot of potential buyers with wanting a copy of their driver's license. Your sale, your rules but I would never give a random person a copy of my DL.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 12:49:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You will eliminate a lot of potential buyers with wanting a copy of their driver's license. Your sale, your rules but I would never give a random person a copy of my DL.
View Quote
Maybe, maybe not.  They should be happy that they'll get mine too.  In IL, it was much worse.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 1:29:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Maybe, maybe not.  They should be happy that they'll get mine too.  In IL, it was much worse.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
cbr is right. If someone sprung that on me after we made a deal, I'd tell them to forget it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 9:38:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I would not fill out any paperwork when buying a gun from an individual....no bill of sale, no DL copy, no BS transfer through an FFL.

Yes, ive filled out a fuck ton of 4473s, and I own quite a few NFA items so I know that info is out there but if its not required, I'm not doing it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:00:04 AM EDT
[#10]
If a son/daughter/grandchild/kin can inherit a gun in Mo without any paperwork, then doing the same thing face 2 face with a stranger without FFL paperwork is G2G in my book, as long as I can make a simple bill of sale w/name and DL# / gun make and ID# and they sign paperwork as my protection.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:01:09 AM EDT
[#11]
since most of mine is deals I made over the computer where I save my email
contacts , what I do is I ask are you a Felon , can you own a legal firearm in Missouri

when I get the reply with no I'm not a Felon , and I can legal own fire arms in Missouri
then I ask one more thing in the email  , at the time of the meeting I want you to just Show me your Missouri driver license , that is good enough for me ,, none of this I need a copy of my license , I have done a couple where we both got a bill of sale
and they were high dollar rifle setups ..

list name /model /ser number

our names first and last

and what city we live in ..

TS2
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:38:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 12:02:51 PM EDT
[#13]
On the glocktalk bill of sale, the lawyer has you put down the last four numbers of the buyers ID.  That way you don't have a copy, but it can be proven seller did check it.  I never required a copy.....nor did I want one.

Only time ever required to copy down the whole number is when I was buying a c&r gun from an individual FTF.  But in that case I'm a licensee, not an individual.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 10:06:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
On the glocktalk bill of sale, the lawyer has you put down the last four numbers of the buyers ID.  That way you don't have a copy, but it can be proven seller did check it.  I never required a copy.....nor did I want one.

Only time ever required to copy down the whole number is when I was buying a c&r gun from an individual FTF.  But in that case I'm a licensee, not an individual.
View Quote
my first EE was with delorean.

I'm blessed and glad it was so.

First off, he is a stand up guy.

Secondly, it gave me a guideline on how to do it.

I've both bought and sold since then.. both through ARFcom and outside of it.

I'm good if someone doesn't want to play along.

Then you don't want to waltz with me.

Both buyer and seller have liability and responsibility.

I HATE it!  It shouldn't be.  But, to pretend it doesn't exist is folly.

Big brother is watching over all of us.

Actually I contacted D about the above mentioned transaction, sometime later, and he had subsequently destroyed the said document after a period of time.  Ok by me too. I'd do business with him anytime.

I, personally, am not only going to acknowledge and honor the other guy in the transaction but myself and my family.  To do that, I need to keep big brother off our backs.

your mileage may vary
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:52:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Casenet is your friend.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 12:09:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Casenet is your friend.
View Quote
Unless they have lived in , or committed a crime in another state.......or have a common last name like Smith.  Doesn't hurt to look, but often a crap shoot.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 1:31:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 7:01:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, one down, one to go.  The S&W 29-2 I put on Gunbroker sold within 24 hours.  I guess I sold it too cheap.  It's going to GA, so an FFL there will be involved.  Still have a 27-2 on Gunbroker.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 8:34:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 10:41:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I couldn't find the ad.
View Quote
This is the 29-2 I just sold:  https://www.gunbroker.com/item/793588601

And the 27-2 that I have yet to sell: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/793592229
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 10:50:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 12:19:43 AM EDT
[#22]
with the liability and other BS these days,  I just consign the ones I want to sell to the local gun shop and let them handle the whole thing.  that way I'm removed from it for various reasons.

Think about this, you sell a gun to an adult face to face, its still "in your name", he doesn't secure it and it gets used in the next school shootingby his kid.  Guess who's name and address is going to be "leaked" to the press and all over the fucking place that YOU supplied the gun man!!"  yeah fuck that noise, I'll eat a few hundred bucks in profit to eliminate that from even remotely being on the table.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 9:39:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
with the liability and other BS these days,  I just consign the ones I want to sell to the local gun shop and let them handle the whole thing.  that way I'm removed from it for various reasons.

Think about this, you sell a gun to an adult face to face, its still "in your name", he doesn't secure it and it gets used in the next school shootingby his kid.  Guess who's name and address is going to be "leaked" to the press and all over the fucking place that YOU supplied the gun man!!"  yeah fuck that noise, I'll eat a few hundred bucks in profit to eliminate that from even remotely being on the table.
View Quote
There's a better chance of you getting struck by lightning and bitten by a shark at the same time.

Whatever let's you sleep well at night though.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 10:25:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Bingo.....that gun is going to come back to you eventually through the forensic evidence.  Through the computers of the shooter or the ATF pulling FFL's records.  It took them less than 6 hours to be on the doorstep of the FFL that sold to the straw buyers in the NE for that mall shooter.  Same goes for all the others recent ones......the media and .gov all over the FFL's.  Imagine if that was your house.  If have nothing to lose on reputation, then no biggie.  I'm not worried about being brought up on criminal action or potential fines or jail time......it's the civil suits and being found guilty in the "court of public opinion".  The gun grabbers and media will stop at nothing, and will make a make a story out of you if it fits the naritive.  When I worked for the news stations, the motto was "If it bleeds, it leads" and one extra degree of separation from that potential story is what I want.  This doesn't have to be a "mass shooting" or school event, it could be a suicide or a negligent discharge that just hits on the wrong heart strings.

I own/operate a business and a very successful national consumer brand, not worth it to me to have a huge boycott of that and risk tanking my family's company.  $20 to my FFL buddy is cheap insurance for me for the 3-4 guns I might sell in a year.  Show me you've been through a recent background check or go pick up the gun at my local FFL.  If the answer is no, then go pay more for the same gun at a shop (which you will then have to go through a background check.)
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 7:53:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Look at the buyer's driver license to check for residence in Missouri.

Ask the buyer if he's prohibited from buying a firearm.

Take his money, pass him the gun.

Done.  You have fulfilled your obligation.

No one needs a copy of my drivers license.  Occasionally I have given the seller a bill of sale for something that I wanted on the spot.  I'm not going to ask for a copy of a driver's license or a bill of sale.  I might decide I don't want to sell a gun based on my judgement upon meeting; don't like it, fuck off anyway, it's my gun.
View Quote
+1

Why do more than is required by law?  Don't we have enough rules as is?
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 6:49:52 AM EDT
[#26]
You guys worried about school shooters will still be the first one they go to after the trace if you bought the gun new.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 9:36:53 PM EDT
[#27]
So let me get this straight: some of you want to see a CCW when the state has Consitutional Carry? Yes, I realize that a CCW permit is more comprehensive

I like the above member who posted that he checks to see a valid MO DL, asks if they are prohibited from owning a firearm and then doing the transfer and then about-face and be on your way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top