Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2011 1:34:17 PM EDT
I've been shooting gallery rifle and 600-to-900 yards for about 18 months now and have so far have never had to buy a set of scope mounts as the guns I've borrowed or latterly bought have always come with scope rings.

I'm now in the market for a scope to put on my .22lr gallery rifle to replace the red-dot I am currently running and am looking for some help and advice to guide me through the large range of designs/styles/materials/brands/costs of the rings/mounts on the market

I'm asking here as I found the recent 'Mid-price CSR scope' thread very informative and I'd also like to get into CSR in the near future so I can take any thoughts/suggestions forward for when that day comes.

Cheers!

DAVE
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 1:38:37 PM EDT
Originally Posted By davemcc43:
I've been shooting gallery rifle and 600-to-900 yards for about 18 months now and have so far have never had to buy a set of scope mounts as the guns I've borrowed or latterly bought have always come with scope rings.

I'm now in the market for a scope to put on my .22lr gallery rifle to replace the red-dot I am currently running and am looking for some help and advice to guide me through the large range of designs/styles/materials/brands/costs of the rings/mounts on the market

I'm asking here as I found the recent 'Mid-price CSR scope' thread very informative and I'd also like to get into CSR in the near future so I can take any thoughts/suggestions forward for when that day comes.

Cheers!

DAVE

To get the .22LR to go 900 yards you'll need a 2000 MOA rail

Link Posted: 12/31/2011 2:45:46 PM EDT
You don't mention what the gun is other than a .22 or if you need QD but assuming not, if it's a ruger 10/22 alike then honestly you can't go far wrong with a fairly cheap set from sportsmatch. I had a set on my 10/22 and I've still got a set on my Marlin which went on probably 3 years ago and haven't moved since, and are unlikely to move for the forseeable.

If you want to spend a bit more then I'd look TPS
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 1:58:12 AM EDT
Also, what discipline are you going to shoot? And what scope do you have in mind?
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 4:42:26 AM EDT
Sorry if the first post seemed a bit sparse, I didn't want to overload it!

The gun is a Sig 522 that I use to shoot 25 yard postal comps, assorted gallery rifle scenarios, 100 yards prone and hopefully in 2012 Mini-rifle. There's a picatinny rail on the upper receiver and with the cocking handle on the side eye relief isn't a problem.

To cover this multitude of disciplines I'm going to purchase a Hawke Endurance 30 1.5-6 x 42 as I have plateaued at 1 inch groups at 25 yards with my current red-dot.

I don't think I need/want QD mounts as I'd prefer to fit-and-forget the scope using the magnification range to adjust to the different disciplines I shoot.

Thanks for the advice so far. I'm just trying to fathom if I should spent £15 or £55 on a set of rings so anymore advice is welcome.

Regards.

DAVE
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 4:53:54 AM EDT
I have a couple of gash sets of warne rings, 1 inch and 30mm
You can have a set for free when you know what scope you're getting
they are more than suitable, I used the 34mm set on my .50 cal
All I ask is you make a donation to H4H or RBL or similar mil charity
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:22:04 AM EDT
Thanks for the kind offer!

I've sent you a message.

Cheers.

DAVE