Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2013 6:35:04 PM EDT
Wife, 11 year old daughter and I were thinking about taking a drive from East Texas to Santa Fe for the week of Mar. 10th.  Never been there before.  What do you all think?  Trying to think of something neat to do but out of the ordinary.   Ie not the beach etc.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 1:00:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not from NM, but I drive up from Ms. every year and explore the back roads and mountains. I would check the weather,as March is pretty early. I sleep in my truck with the dog or backpack and camp so I can't really give you any touristy type of advice or places to go.  There is a state park in Santa Fe  that was nice and the mountains are really cool in general. Drive the Enchanted Circle, Taos, Red River, Angel Fire. I would research the area on the internet or through the NM state
tourist info. It really depends on what your interest are, my kind of travel and exploration of NM aren't real conducive with a wife and youngster but whatever you decide on, I'm sure that it will be a great trip.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 1:37:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Does your family like "sciency" stuff? There're some great museums in New Mexico. A little north of that is Los Alamos, where there are some interesting museums that feature atom bomb stuff. ABQ has a few museums that are worth the look: the Atomic Energy Museum and the Balloon Museum both feature actual hardware that was used in their respective fields.

The National Radio Astronomical Observatory (home of the Very Large Array) is about 45 minutes west of Socorro, in the Plains of Magdalena. (This is where the Jodie Foster movie "Contact" was filmed.).  There's a visitor center, a self-guided tour and gift shop on the premises.

An air & space museum is in Alamagordo.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:15:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Daughter won't care for Santa Fe.  It's an old people/hippie town with mostly museums and art stuff.  I second the suggestions for the outdoors drives and science stuff!
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 5:47:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got one of the Tourist Guides heading this way.  Daughter does like some science stuff.  Will take all this into consideration.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:41:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Daughter won't care for Santa Fe.  It's an old people/hippie town with mostly museums and art stuff.  I second the suggestions for the outdoors drives and science stuff!
View Quote

yep, unless she's into crappy art work, santa fe is for old hippie shits.

we do get a late winter, so if skiing /snow boarding is your thing the snow is usually still pretty good around then. closing date isn't till April.

thats usually all there is to do here that time of the year.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 8:11:43 AM EDT
[#6]
10,000 Waves Spa/Jap hot springs ,etc. On the road up to the ski area. Neat Place to soak for afew hrs. Private tubs,etc
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 9:05:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I haven't made it to the capital yet but never needed to.

ABQ has a bunch of stuff and the nice thing is for how big it is easy to navigate.

Personally I like Las Cruces myself but that was mainly to get away from El Paso

Remember ABQ had a Triple A team and they are not bad at all (if you need to take your spring trip later).

But the biggest thing is Open Carry. Mind as get your fill.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:08:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I haven't made it to the capital yet but never needed to.

ABQ has a bunch of stuff and the nice thing is for how big it is easy to navigate.

Personally I like Las Cruces myself but that was mainly to get away from El Paso

Remember ABQ had a Triple A team and they are not bad at all (if you need to take your spring trip later).

But the biggest thing is Open Carry. Mind as get your fill.
View Quote

EP Iis getting another new baseball team: The Chihuahuas
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:49:18 PM EDT
[#9]
The Battan memorial death march is 23 Mar. Probably funner than SF.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:46:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the info guys.  We are considering something else now.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:55:39 PM EDT
[#11]
The Trinity site is open the first Saturday in Apr. There's not really a whole lot to it, but it's cool to stand at ground zero of the first atomic weapon shot.

I know none of this is in your timeframe, but I work with what's there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top