Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2003 5:40:11 PM EDT
Hi Folks,
    I'm an Ohio boy, and until recently, I was stuck choosing between the NYC area and San Francisco for jobs after I graduate this summer.  New Haven, CT was high on my list because they have CCW and Class III.  But a job interview at Los Alamos national lab just came out of left field!  I have been through Santa Fe and Albuquerque a couple of times, and I love that area!  I think I would enjoy it so much more than being in a big city.  I love wide open spaces.
    So what can you tell me about the Los Alamos area as far as being gun-friendly?  I see CCW & Class III are both legal there.  How hard is it to get a CCW permit and/or NFA CLEO sign-off in that part of NM?  I'm already having visions of getting a mobile home out in the middle of nowhere with a range in the backyard...

TIA,
fiz
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 1:41:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Los Alamos is very gun friendly.  Very Conservative town.  Santa Fe however...is hell.
Santa Fe is the San Franciso of the Rockies.  You will not find more black rifle loathing hippies anywhere else in the state.  I have been trying to figure out how to give Santa Fe back to Mexico.  When you get in town drop me a line.... I'll go shooting with you.  BTW.. CCW just got passed.  Does not go into affect until Jan 1 2004.  Also I don't know if this affects you or not, but you must be 25 to apply.  You probably also may want to forget the mobile home idea.... All Indian land around Los Alamos and Santa Fe.....they don't care if your rifle is black or not.........your not red.  

Scott
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:06:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Be very careful in NM, we do have border point checkpoints with armed military personnell along all routes in state and along the border.  Be sure to have your id ready and declare yourself an american citizen.  They practice stereotyping, and will search your car if you are any one of these:  A longhair, a mexican, young, or look middle eastern.  They don't fuck around.  

They have night vision mounted on the attenna, along with directional microphones, be careful what you say leading up to the checkpoint!   Your best bet is to drive a flat bed truck and speak with a texan accent.  It helps if your white, too.  PS:  They really don't fuck around.

They staff around 8-15 vehicles, and anywhere from 6-15 soldiers, and 3-8 BP agents.  No visible long-arms.  Be polite, be professional, be alert.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:23:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Jojo,

It must not be all THAT bad as you are still breathing....
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:31:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Thankfully, I have managed to weasel my way out by answering yes to every question:

IE:

Are you an American Citizen?

Yes.

Do you own this vehicle?

Yes.

Where are you heading?

Truth or Consequences (TorC to locals, or even Torc, phonetically)

...  Those are about the basic questions you get asked.  I'm going to draw a map up with all the checkpoints.  Feel free to send me recon reports of equipment and staffing so I can add that to the list.  It's about time we expose all facets to avoid tyranny.  I hate military checkpoints!
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 2:48:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I think JoJo is off his meds again.

Dude, what are you smokin' in Cruces?

NM in general, is a very gun friendly state, evidenced by our style of legal carry called......New Mexico Carry. Basically, the new CCW law allows us to carry LOADED and concealed. We were always able to carry unloaded and the definition of unloaded can be pretty lax. Basically it is either an unloaded chamber with a mag in the well or unloaded all the way with a mag outside of 12 inches from the weapon, depending on the LEO involved.

The state's constitution even forbids the prohibition of carrying a firearm. The only places that you cannot carry is in schools, churches, state buildings or anyplace that serves or sells alcohol.

Deadly force is authorized in the protection of self, others, or property and any property is considered as your home and can be defended with deadly force. There are no requirements that you tried to flee or gave sufficient warnings, just feel in danger and defend yourself, your family, bystanders, your car, your house, your livestock, et al.

This really is a great state and if you are in Los Alamos, you should get to the Jemez area as soon as possible. This is a garden spot not many know of. IM me and I'll let you in on the secrets.

Matt
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 3:39:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh man. I was thinking of moving to Farmington if I get my settlement. But you guys have JoJo. And I only have 8 rounds for the Garand.

That 7 for the black copters and only one for the MIB's.

ED

edited for trying to type while on meds.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 8:44:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I think JoJo is off his meds again.

Dude, what are you smokin' in Cruces?

It's not what I'm smoking, it's what they're putting in the water supply!  Ok, it's really not THAT bad to have to explain yourself to some JBT everytime you go out.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 10:55:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah its not what he is smoking its "What isnt he smoking!"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top