Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2012 7:27:39 PM EDT
My buddy brought me his Saiga 12 that he has pulled the gas block off to see if I could get it back together for him. I'm decent with my hands but I'm not a gunsmith, and I don't have all the proper tools to do this.

Does anyone on here know of a gunsmith that can put this gas block back on straight or can someone on here assist me? I can get it on, but I'm having trouble getting it to line up straight to put the top pin in. And I found out it wasn't straight by bending the tiny pin....
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:44:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I hear OPS has a good gunsmith, And I trust them. Ask for Eric and he'll get you to the right guy.
Do NOT take it to Sportsworld.
Tromix moved out of town and usually has a wait list.
Don't take it to some fly by night unestablished gunshop, you may end up losing the gun.
Or I'd be willing to help.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:02:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Interesting. I was plannin on goin over to sports world today. Whats wrong with them?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:06:03 AM EDT
[#3]
In my experience the gunsmith is a hack. Numerous reports of this also on the other OK shooters forum.
He told me he would get right on a handgun and 3 months later it was not fixed.
Edit; Also numerous cases of saying one thing and doing something else and then charging customer for something they did not ask for.
Edit 2; fair to good gunstore. Gunsmith does not have a good report.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:34:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Ah okay thanks man. I didn't know that about them. I shop there quite a bit but never had any work done.

I have one more thing I'm going to try today and if it doesn't work I'll take it to OPS.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:39:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Btw, I think the gunsmith is now at 2Ashooting center,  just a few blocks down the road where they moved the guns and have the indoor range at.
Slipped my mind earlier.
Edit: yes, I just called. gunsmith is at 2A now. His name is Mike Hardison.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:47:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info man. I haven't heard of either of those places before today.

I wanna get this thing together so I can shoot it before I give it back.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:26:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, sorry for wasting your time. I got it back together. I straightened the pin as much as I could, filed down the ends to knock off any mushrooming, tried a different method of getting the block straight and was very ginger with the pin and it went on through.

Holy shit is all I have to say about the gun. Love it. Might have to get me one.

It only has 9 successful cycles on it. Had the second 3" round FTE but did the last 4 of the 10 round box I had in rapid fire with no problems. It still needs work done to it though. It wont cycle low brass 2.75" shells fully. It might loosen up over time and fully cycle but it's not right now.  It will go far enough to reset the trigger but not far enough to eject the shell.

My boss has one and he said his will cycle anything you put in it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 4:53:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like the gas port may need opened up or just may need broken in a bit more.
Where you shooting at?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:08:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I filed the port out from a O to a D since he had it apart. I think everything is just snug and needs worked in.

Not my problem anymore. lol

I shoot in the pasture across the street from my house.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:12:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Lucky(Napoleon Dynamite)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top