Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2023 8:39:32 AM EDT
Well, in 8 years in AZ, I crossed paths with exactly 1 rattle snake. (poor ending for snake). Coyotes kept their distance on hikes. Tarantulas were pretty harmless. Had some large spiders and centipedes.  

Read this morning a lady got killed by an alligator around Beaufort! I think same thing happened last year near there. Walking her dog!

In summer I carried a ruger lcr with a couple snake shot rounds in it walking the dog. Might have to up the hardware I guess.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 8:52:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Last year a monster killed a man near Myrtle Beach. It was the same one that was caught swallowing an 8 footer whole at the golf course. I thought you were moving to upstate? If so, you will be safe.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 4:19:59 PM EDT
[#2]
what?....

One thing I was not prepared for was a night of tentless camping in the woods of calhoun county.... I woke up to a few things crawling on my leg... scorpions... yes you read that right...scorpions. that is when I found out SC has the devil scorpion... small, but basically no more than a bee sting... not like those little translucent suckers I dealt with in the Phoenix area...

my neighbors in AZ would take me "snakin" and catch and kill rattlesnakes... they would be skinned and that would be hung to dry, the heads  and rattles were saved for making tourist jewelry and such.. and the meat???... well they cooked it six ways to sunday... grilled was my favorite.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 5:21:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Well, in 8 years in AZ, I crossed paths with exactly 1 rattle snake. (poor ending for snake). Coyotes kept their distance on hikes. Tarantulas were pretty harmless. Had some large spiders and centipedes.  

Read this morning a lady got killed by an alligator around Beaufort! I think same thing happened last year near there. Walking her dog!

In summer I carried a ruger lcr with a couple snake shot rounds in it walking the dog. Might have to up the hardware I guess.
View Quote

The dog is bait, don't walk the dog near water.
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 2:09:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm moving to SC in August and must say I'm really looking forward to that. I love dangerous wildlife. I've had a handful of encounters with black beats while hiking, and I've seen dozens of rattlesnakes. I'm usually the guy getting way too close for a better look. Hearing SC has the highest number of venomous snakes than any other state has me excited for hiking. I love snakes
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 6:20:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Going to my brother in law's in the morning to get rid of four hogs that are wrecking his yard. He called all the state and county agencies and was told either its not their problem or just put them down yourself.

When a local farmer told him there could be 25 more in a year, he called his outlaw gun toting BIL.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 6:02:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Missed getting the hogs, but they came back after I left. They appear to be a bit tame since they aren't feeding like feral hogs. We checked the local area trying to find a pen, but no luck. They have made a huge wallow where his grey water drain is in the back yard. He keeps a neat yard and the pigs have made a mess of his mulched shurb beds.

I'll have to be careful about lighting off the 300 blk due to a lot of houses in the area. Might use the 22 since an ear shot is possible.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 8:35:46 PM EDT
[#7]
One got a lady in Charleston too (Johns Island) in 2021 or 2022, but that one from the article the lady sounded like she was drunk or high.

From what I remember it went something like this
- Homeowner - "Get away from that pond, the alligator is coming towards you.  He killed a deer the other day"
- Darwin candidate - "I ain't no deer.  "
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 8:27:58 AM EDT
[#8]
There was a 69 year old woman killed by a 9 foot gator in Hilton Head this week while she was walking her dog.

She was a long time resident and supposedly always warned the newbies about the dangers of gators.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 1:29:25 PM EDT
[#9]
We have clowns, too. I haven't seen one in the wild yet, but they're out there.
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 1:40:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm moving to SC in August and must say I'm really looking forward to that. I love dangerous wildlife. I've had a handful of encounters with black beats while hiking, and I've seen dozens of rattlesnakes. I'm usually the guy getting way too close for a better look. Hearing SC has the highest number of venomous snakes than any other state has me excited for hiking. I love snakes
View Quote

I moved here in the upstate a year & a half ago (from NY). I also used to see black bears weekly & timber rattlers when I lived there. I just bought a pair of snake boots for turkey hunting & scouting. That's one item of clothing I never thought I'd ever own, lol.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 6:56:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Add Sharks to the list!!
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 11:57:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There was a 69 year old woman killed by a 9 foot gator in Hilton Head this week while she was walking her dog.

She was a long time resident and supposedly always warned the newbies about the dangers of gators.
View Quote

I heard about that.  There was a very similar incident on HHI several years ago too. I think your chances of being killed by a gator are zero in this area if you’re not an old lady with a dog.

Top Top