Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2006 3:33:59 PM EDT
Anyone know why there are so many cops going to Bill's to get the Olympic Arms ARs? Today Bill said he sold 13 already (friday)  and last weekend was 9 and more orders coming. They are running $802.99 or so for the M4 like model. Seems like Metro patrol is preparing for war on the streets.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:19:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I spoke to a Metro buddy last night and he said the he just bought a Bushmaster M4 style Carbine, and all the rifle classes are filling up very quickly. He's signed up for the Patrol Rifle Course at Metro but it isn't until April. He also said that after the killing of Sgt. Prendes a few weeks ago, and then the shootout with police two days after the Officer's funeral, an unbelievable number of officers from Patrol to the Detective Bureau are buying rifles and trying to get into a Patrol Rifle course.

I say give the officers what they need. Some argue that seeing an AR style rifle next to the shotgun in the front seat is intimidating. What is the root word of "intimidating?" It's TIMID. Most people are timid individuals and get scared when the see the implements of reality.

I myself feel very comfortable whenever I see a rifle up front in a patrol vehicle. It kinda' makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. Plus, sometimes it is a great conversation piece to dicuss with the officer if he/she is a cool person.

Hopefully by Metro displaying their rifles in plain view it will put the scumbags and the pukes on notice that the community isn't gonna' take the Thug and Gansta' shit anymore.

Enough is enough.

I tip my hat to Metro....
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:20:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Well wouldn't you say it might have had something to do with one of their officers being killed by a rifle wielding suspect a few weeks ago? Then a few days after that, another asswipe decided to shoot at some cops. I think we can attribute it to our guys smartening up. I also think that its pretty much open season on dirtbags in the valley. I would like to see one day where our police got away from all that touchy feely community policing shit and get back to some good old fashioned police work. If you're a criminal, you should live in fear of the police because if you know you fucked up and the cops got you, your ass is grass.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:41:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Well wouldn't you say it might have had something to do with one of their officers being killed by a rifle wielding suspect a few weeks ago? Then a few days after that, another asswipe decided to shoot at some cops.

Quoted:
I spoke to a Metro buddy last night and he said the he just bought a Bushmaster M4 style Carbine, and all the rifle classes are filling up very quickly. He's signed up for the Patrol Rifle Course at Metro but it isn't until April. He also said that after the killing of Sgt. Prendes a few weeks ago, and then the shootout with police two days after the Officer's funeral, an unbelievable number of officers from Patrol to the Detective Bureau are buying rifles and trying to get into a Patrol Rifle course.

I say give the officers what they need. Some argue that seeing an AR style rifle next to the shotgun in the front seat is intimidating. What is the root word of "intimidating?" It's TIMID. Most people are timid individuals and get scared when the see the implements of reality.

I myself feel very comfortable whenever I see a rifle up front in a patrol vehicle. It kinda' makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. Plus, sometimes it is a great conversation piece to dicuss with the officer if he/she is a cool person.

Hopefully by Metro displaying their rifles in plain view it will put the scumbags and the pukes on notice that the community isn't gonna' take the Thug and Gansta' shit anymore.

Enough is enough.

I tip my hat to Metro....

Um,

I think I did say that...
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:45:05 PM EDT
[#4]
One problem was a delay in rifle courses....they were rewriting the curriculum, so they were delayed.

Also, any field training group graduating usually has an increase in AR and shotgun purchases.

I am not impressed with Olympic....not any real good experiences. For that amount, Armalite would be a better option.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:00:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
One problem was a delay in rifle courses....they were rewriting the curriculum, so they were delayed.

Also, any field training group graduating usually has an increase in AR and shotgun purchases.

I am not impressed with Olympic....not any real good experiences. For that amount, Armalite would be a better option.

+1 on having to wait on the courses.

I have nothing negative at all to say about Armalite or Oly Arms. My preferences happen to be Colt and Bushmaster, respectively.

I guess it boils down to personal preference.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:45:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Well I myself am not a fan of Olympic either...they do work but the workmanship of the guns are a little rough. It might be a price factor for officers too I think since Olys are $800.00 and Bushmasters are $950.00 for the M4A3 model and Colt M4 6920s are $1350.00 Plus not to mention Bill stocks more Olys than the other guns.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:13:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Once again:

I have nothing negative at all to say about Armalite or Oly Arms. My preferences happen to be Colt and Bushmaster, respectively.

I am a firm believer that you can train a thousand times, but you only get one chance to meet the real world in self-defense.

Like I said: I guess it boils down to personal preference.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:04:07 AM EDT
[#8]
yep, just like ishoot , i don't care for Oly's either.  I just hope Bill's didn't convince the officers that he stocks those because they are best, and will offer them at a special LE price!

And for the record ishoot, i think ESQ was following up on RDP's comments, not yours
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:58:04 AM EDT
[#9]
If you want to save money - Buy a lower for $110, a parts kit for $500 and build it yourself.

Model 1 and M&A have the same quality if not better than Oly at $450 per parts kit.

Hope this helps the weighing of prices/quality dilema.

Thanks
V
OUT  
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:04:25 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't think that building them is an option for most departments. i know in Douglas County, patrol rifles are authorized and used, but they all have the horsey, nothing else is allowed.

And I have said it before. When I call for police help, I want them to come equally or better armed than me. Otherwise, just get out of the way!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:59:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Didn't know ESQ was a cop and needed it for work.

A whole new twist: If I was a parachutist, I wouldn't go cheap on the chute - Just me.

V
OUT
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:19:12 PM EDT
[#12]
As for building them, all that matters is the name on the lower....that is what the dept. will look at and consider as actually meeting criteria (of course there is the NFA side too)
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:49:05 PM EDT
[#13]
ishoot2live- if you look and see that our posts were within a minute of each other. So in effect we were typing at the same time. Weird huh? Wouldn't you also say great minds think alike?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:48:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
ishoot2live- if you look and see that our posts were within a minute of each other. So in effect we were typing at the same time. Weird huh? Wouldn't you also say great minds think alike?

Ah Ha!

I always knew there was someone out there that was of like mind with me. I didn't look at the time stamps of our posts that's why I thought perhaps you didn't bother to read my post before you posted. I am guilty of doing that occasionally.

The fact that this was a coincidence so close together makes perfect sense.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:37:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Page 3, para 3:

...The probability of multiple hits with a handgun is not high.  Experienced officers implicitly recognize that fact, and when potential violence is reasonably anticipated, their preparations are characterized by obtaining as many shoulder weapons as possible...

Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectiveness

eta: IMho, good enough isn't.  I would recommend spending a little more and getting a Colt LE6920 and sending it to SAW for their reliability package.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:58:52 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Page 3, para 3:

...The probability of multiple hits with a handgun is not high.  Experienced officers implicitly recognize that fact, and when potential violence is reasonably anticipated, their preparations are characterized by obtaining as many shoulder weapons as possible...

Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectiveness

eta: IMho, good enough isn't.  I would recommend spending a little more and getting a Colt LE6920 and sending it to SAW for their reliability package.

+1 on the low level of effectiveness of close quarter combat weapons (handguns). But a reliabilty package on a factory Colt LE6920?

Am I missing something here or are 6920's (or any currently mfg'd out-of-the-box Colts) for some reason "unreliable?"

Just wonderin'.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:09:42 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:Am I missing something here or are 6920's (or any currently mfg'd out-of-the-box Colts) for some reason "unreliable?"

Just wonderin'.

Like SAW says, it'll make a quality product better.  Read about Ken Elmore's package here.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:20:13 AM EDT
[#18]
I've always been pleased with the reliability of our old FN made M16A2 before the M4 came around.  We've always performed a function check of our weapons by trying to twist the front sight while holding the upper receiver to check the barrel nut.

I have a Colt LWT Sporter and it has a great factory trigger.  Unfortunatly it wears a new upper due to a ruptured cartridge that blew up my upper and destroyed my bolt and bolt carrier.  I love Colts but I hate to have to buy Colt parts due to the fact that they are pricey.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:09:02 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:Am I missing something here or are 6920's (or any currently mfg'd out-of-the-box Colts) for some reason "unreliable?"

Just wonderin'.

Like SAW says, it'll make a quality product better.  Read about Ken Elmore's package here.

f2, have you personally had the SAW mods done, and if so, can you visually determine a difference?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:28:50 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:f2, have you personally had the SAW mods done, and if so, can you visually determine a difference?

Yes.   Never noticed.  I have total confidence in SAW / Ken Elmore anyway, fwiw.  Thats what it comes down to really when you send your firearm to a gunsmith.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:54:36 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:f2, have you personally had the SAW mods done, and if so, can you visually determine a difference?

Yes.   Never noticed.  I have total confidence in SAW / Ken Elmore anyway, fwiw.  Thats what it comes down to really when you send your firearm to a gunsmith.

Was your Colt having any problems prior to sending it in?

FWIW, I like SAW stuff too; I have purchased and use SAW green extractor springs and black inserts,as well as their HD red mag springs.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:31:19 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:   Was your Colt having any problems prior to sending it in?

It was sent unfired to SAW upon arrival from the TX dealer I purchased it from.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top