Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2009 9:37:02 AM EDT
I have been looking at the Robinson Armament XCR for a while now.  It is gas piston, quick change barrel system, very reliable, integrated rail system, folding stock, and costs half as much as a SCAR.

Does anyone own one of the latest generations of the XCR?  If you own one or have shot one, please give me your feedback.

Thanks,

Dan
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 1:20:28 PM EDT
[#1]
tag
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 2:15:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey Dan,

Yeah, I own one and have shot it in one of Joe's carbine classes, and in a steel challenge match.  I have the latest mark, with the ambi safety and new trigger.  After around 600-700 rounds, I've

never had a failure caused by the gun - only by me by overstuffing a mag and not being able to seat it.  I have the H&K sights on it and those work great.  

Overall I couldn't be happier with it.  If you shoot out at creekside you can feel free to put some rounds through mine to see if you like it (you will).  Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Dave

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 5:12:27 PM EDT
[#3]
poor man's XCR

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 5:19:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hey Dan,

Yeah, I own one and have shot it in one of Joe's carbine classes, and in a steel challenge match.  I have the latest mark, with the ambi safety and new trigger.  After around 600-700 rounds, I've

never had a failure caused by the gun - only by me by overstuffing a mag and not being able to seat it.  I have the H&K sights on it and those work great.  

Overall I couldn't be happier with it.  If you shoot out at creekside you can feel free to put some rounds through mine to see if you like it (you will).  Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Dave

http://i40.tinypic.com/2d7bqpz.jpg

Are you the one that sighted your rifle in 10 min before the last service rifle match?

If so I was the one with tha AK.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 6:01:27 PM EDT
[#5]
A buddy of mine out in Wyoming has a fairly new one. I shot it after hearing him rave about it. It shot really smooth, no performance issues.

If I didn't have ARs, I'd definitely get one. If they ever come out with the XCR-M in .308, I'm all over it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 7:26:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Sig 556 that I like a lot.  But I wanted to get another pistol AR type rifle.  Rather than get another Sig, I wanted to get an XCR since it has the side folding stock, new two-stage trigger, one piece rail/receiver, and quick detach barrels(something Sig does not have).

The SCAR is a great weapon, but it does not have the quick detach barrel (six screws and a lot more time).   Plus the SCAR is way too expensive for me.  I don't have $3000+ for one.  Plus I don't like tan colored guns.  Only black and green for me.  

Thanks for the info on them.  I am leaning towards one now.  I saw one at a local gun shop, but have a little more money to raise from selling off some stuff before I can get it..
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 4:19:36 AM EDT
[#7]
If you do get it make sure you do an AAR with pics.

Not sure where you are but Joe's service rifle matches are a great way to break in a new gun!

Also is a quick replaceable barrel that important?  I can see replacing a barrel but that would usually be done at home on a bench, and 6 screws wouldn't seem to be that big of a deal!

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 4:32:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Whats the accuracy like with one of these?
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 4:50:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Are you the one that sighted your rifle in 10 min before the last service rifle match?

If so I was the one with tha AK.

I didn't shoot the service rifle match, but I did sight in at 25 yards just before the last rifle steel challenge (it was raining the whole time).  We shot at 200-250 and the zero I had worked well out

there.  I got lucky enough to get 2nd behind an M1A.  I think there was a real nice ak with an underfolder at that one - that you?

Hey covert - you've seen the forum right?  

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 5:12:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Service rifle match, steel challenge. Didn't know there was a difference.

Pretty sure that was me though. I had the underfolder. Not sure I would say it was real nice though considering it was made in the garage with hand tools!

That was a fun match and would love to do it again. I think I will try an FAL next time though.

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 9:13:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Unless it's a real IMI Galil.........then it's too rich for my blood.....

I am looking at the XCR as well..........I handled one at the funshow not long ago, and I like it...........of course, its between that and a SIG 556 classic

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 11:18:28 AM EDT
[#12]
I have been running an XCR as my primary carbine since they came out a couple of years ago. I have one of the early ones. I had it cut to 12" (SBR) from the get-go, so I couldn't tell you what accuracy was like out of the 16" and 18" barrels.
The only differences between the newer ones are an improved firing pin (mine snapped at 3500 rds, replaced for free), a toolless gas valve, and an integral trigger guard.

The XCR is a VERY reliable carbine provided you do a few recommended procures like break-in, and loctiting of the ejector screws. The match 2-stage triggers just came out.

Pros

-Reliability
-Integrated monolithic rails (aluminum extrusion, one peice upper receiver)
-Hot-swappable quick-change barrel
-works with most AR accessories
-Designed from the ground up as a piston rifle - was not retrofitted
-Bolt hold-open is a very intelligent design - ambidextrous, can be actuated with the tip of the finger without changing sight picture or cheek weld.

Cons

-Price * although, this is not that big of a deal considering what you get versus a top-tier AR and rail
-Parts availability (only really can be had through Robinson Armament, but their CS is top-notch, so no big worries here, either)
-Center rail lightning cut (this is a personal one for me - it is technically out-of-spec, and the lightning cut chews up center-mounted pressure grips, like the KAC and ProMag)
-Weight: with the Heavy bbl (even with my 12" SBR) these are a bit heavier than you would expect. Add a bunch of accesories and you will go to muscle failure trying to run one for extended periods of time
-FCG: these are not the same as an AR. It is a basic AR design with a slight offset to the right. AR parts will not work here.

RobArm is now offering a 1/7 barrel. It used to be only 1/9, and the early ones like mine had 1/8 bbls. The Micro PDW and Mini PDW are also now offered, which basically include a shorter piston system and upper receiver/barrel. These are as slick as owl shit.

ETA: PM XCRMonger on this board. Terra works for RobArm and handles the CS....she's good people and has helped me out several times. If she can't sell you on buying one, I doubt anyone can.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:31:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought my Robinson Armament XCR today.  It came with the VLTOR side folding AR stock and Midwest Industries flip-up sights.  90% of the guns do not come with sights, but you can get them as a factory option.  

I got a Aimpoint micro T-1 in a GG&G mount for it (Thanks to Derek at 400 J&L for the help today).  The rifle and the optic are sweet!!.  Pics to come...
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:00:44 PM EDT
[#14]
So, you got yours at 400 J&L? Mind if I ask, "How much"? I'm looking around for the heavy barreled option. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:06:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Negative. I believe you have to order the weapon from Robinson. He was referring to the optic.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:04:04 AM EDT
[#16]
I got mine from Bullseye in Lawrenceville.  They have one used XCR left there in 100% like new shape with the folding Ace Stock for $1399.  That is a steal.   I bought the new one that they had because it was ordered with BUIS from Midwest Industries.   If I had bought the used one, I would have had to dump $250 into sights for it since they don't come with them.

The one they have left is the 16" heavy barrel in 5.56, side folder ACE stock, and comes with Magpul XT rail covers already on there.  Great price on the gun and it looks like it had been either unfired, or less than 40 rounds since there were no signs of wear.

I got the Aimpoint H1 and the GG&G mount from 400 J&L and it went perfectly with the gun.  

Quoted:
So, you got yours at 400 J&L? Mind if I ask, "How much"? I'm looking around for the heavy barreled option. Thanks.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top