Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2006 3:57:45 PM EDT
Anyone out there in RI. We are thinking of moving, anything I really need to know about gun laws? Thanks
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:25:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:24:35 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Anyone out there in RI. We are thinking of moving, anything I really need to know about gun laws? Thanks

RI isn't all that bad...yet. They are voting Tuesday on a "One Gun a Month" in committee Tuesday. They are also trying to pass an Assualt Weapons Ban.

As far as carry permits, the state IS a SHALL ISSUE state if you apply to your local police department. Problem is the practice of issue through the towns has not be common practice for years. Some towns will issue permits due to recent court desicions. (Big wins for us gunners) I belong to an organization that is forcing departments to follow the law and issue permits. Most towns will tell you to apply to the AG, which are issued on a "May Issue" basis. That's crap!

Also, RI is great if you love high taxes and poor education!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:01:15 PM EDT
[#3]
STAY IN VA, moved from NC and wish every day hadn't.  Laws aren't as bad as some states. Just hard to find anywhere good to shoot.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:46:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
STAY IN VA, moved from NC and wish every day hadn't.  Laws aren't as bad as some states. Just hard to find anywhere good to shoot.

define "good" .....there are at least a dozen bonifide ranges in a state you can drive thru in less than an hr....most if not all have open memberships.

Longhunter
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:38:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I think I can speak for him on the "good" dept. Most gun ranges are shoot shotgun only or handgun only. The attitude I get from many people is that they are exculsive clubs...meaning..."we have our 100 members and you are bothering me by calling me up and asking to join. So why don't you go fuck yourself." If you can find a club...it costs a ton of cash. One place cost 500 bucks to join and 250 for year there after. Coming from a state where I used to shoot in my back yard, that's a ton of cash. There is 1 300 yard range, but it's tough to get in. I've been trying for almost 2 years. Oh, and you HAVE to shoot at a designated range... The state has one(its free to shoot at)...you can shoot any caliber handgun.....50 BMG if you have it...but no centerfire rifle....it's that fucked up. I tried speaking with the lady about the differences of shooting 9mm out of an AR and 9mm out of a Glock....I've had more intelligent conversations with my Guinea Pig. So to help make my point, I bought my AR pistol and shot it there every time I came. Even if I only shot 20 rounds...needed to make my point. IM me if you'd like to know more. I used to live in NH...and can't wait to move back. I'm hoping next year. I'd move there if you wanna come to New England.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:02:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:57:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Agree with Colt moved from NC 6 years ago and could take the 308, AR, or Barrett out back pop off a few rounds and no one ever thought twice about it and didn't have to worry about cops showing up and if they did might get a little competition going. I guess if you grew up here your use to it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:31:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I grew up in RI and my family has lived here for about four generations.  When they moved in it was the country.  All farms and everyone knew each other.  Now they are building houses on top of each other, no one knows their neighbors, and things just seem to be getting worse by the day.

On the topic of clubs I belong to Manville Sportsmans Club which is $150 a year and may or may not be hard to get into, it depends on when you apply.  Club members shoot everything from .22 pistol league, cowboy, IPSC, and Trap to name a few.  I have only had good experiences with club members so if you're looking for a club in the northern part of the state I'd highly reccomend it.

So the moral of my story is I bought some land in Vermont and I am counting down the minutes till I can get out of this state.  I'm sick of the traffic, the over population, the high cost of living, and the fact that I will probally never be able to buy a house in the neighborhood that I grew up in.  Now that I think of it pretty much everyone of my generation of my family is moving out also.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:08:24 PM EDT
[#9]
+1 for RI

I live within 10 min from two ranges.  Gun laws are not that bad.  Just no class 3.  Lots of quality of life benifits if you live in the right towns.  IM for any questions.  I have lived many places but love RI
Lobsta
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:31:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Thaks for everyones reply. Where do you guys shoot LONG DISTANCE? Are there any 600meter or 1k yard ranges nearby?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:54:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top