Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2006 9:09:22 AM EDT
I had some hail damage during the storm this last August, and I'm just now getting around to getting the roof replaced.  

However, with the cold weather, I'm nervous about getting it done right now.

The primary concerns I've heard about:

-during the installation, the shingles are more rigid, therefore handling the shingles becomes problematic leading to cracking sometimes.
-after installation, the sealer that glues the rows of shingles together needs a decent dose of sunlight to activate.  A windstorm before this happens will tear the shingles from the roof.

So how about it?  Any of you guys roofing contractors or know about this?  Am I pointlessly worried, or should I wait till spring to reroof?

Link Posted: 10/18/2006 9:26:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about your questions, but the two houses in my hood that were re-roofed this summer had a crew of mexicans - literally a family including wife and kids - show up at 6:30 in the morning when the materials were dropped of and they worked until 10 at night and then again 6:30 the next morning till about 2 and they were done. The took off the old roof and put on a new one. big two story houses. I was amazed at their speed.
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 9:45:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 10:10:34 AM EDT
[#3]
/me carefully tiptoes into GD
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 11:49:55 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
/me carefully tiptoes into GD

With your split times, I think you'll be safe in GD
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 12:04:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I reroofed my own home last year. I would highly recommend waiting till spring to do the task UNLESS you have the worries of leakage. If its not leaking or damaged to bad wait!!   MY .02 cents
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 12:40:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I've re-roofed a number of houses (including my own house this past July).  Now is basicaly a bad time to do it.  

It's MUCH better to do it in the summer, pretty much for the reasons you suggested.  Plus if it's too cold out, the Ice Barrier will not want to stick (you deffinately want a good ice barrier layer).  

Also, you need the temps fairly high, or at least some very direct sunlight, to get the shingles tar strips to melt together, like you said the shingles will blow off, but also, if the ridge doesn't seal itself, you'll get water under the shingles from the top down.
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 12:51:46 PM EDT
[#7]
My house was re-roofed in the winter.  

Before:

During:

After:

So long as there is no active precipitation you should be OK.  Heat of the sun even in January is enough to seal the tar on the asphalt type shingles.
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 12:54:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh, and for the record, I would not do it now or ever.  I would hire someone to do it.  THey will do it in one day as GoBlue suggests.
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 5:34:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Must be the way I phrased it.  Yes, I am having someone do it.

Link Posted: 10/18/2006 8:56:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 3:34:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd wait.  I have seen exactly happen what you suggest.  roofed in late fall, big winter wind came up, new shingles all over the yard.  but if you live in an urban surrounding with plenty of wind protection you might be okay.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 8:22:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm a commercial roofing contractor. There is no reason not to do your roof now. The shingle tabs will seal just fine. If you want to save a few bucks wait until early spring when the shingle outfits are hungry for work. You'll be surprised at the difference in the bids. Get several bids and stay away from the big companys. (they tend to use subs and dont always stay on top of them like they should. If you want to save even more money hire your own crew(an ad on the cork board at the local roofing supplier will do it) you buy the materials and pay them a per square labor charge. as always check references. I did this for my brother this spring and he saved several thousand dollars. a 30 square house was done in 1 day.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 10:26:38 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I don't know about your questions, but the two houses in my hood that were re-roofed this summer had a crew of mexicans - literally a family including wife and kids - show up at 6:30 in the morning when the materials were dropped of and they worked until 10 at night and then again 6:30 the next morning till about 2 and they were done. The took off the old roof and put on a new one. big two story houses. I was amazed at their speed.

LOL must have been the slow mexicans... We had our roof redone, and they showed up at 6:30, and were done by 2 - 3 in the afternoon.  Then again, i live in a shack, so that may have been the reason...
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 4:50:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Well, I had it done.  Looks nice too.

They showed up at 9.  (Yep, they didn't speak 100 words of English between all 4 of them).

They were done by 5, spent an hour cleaning up, and someone came and picked up the dumpster at 7pm.  I looked around the house, and aside from some shingle gravel and a few small pieces, they did a nice job picking up.  

Very happy with the result.

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:01:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a crew that works cheap, fast, and reliable.
email me if they want the info,
Aren
[email protected]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top