Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2005 6:19:25 PM EDT
My wife and I are exploring the possibility of leaving the great tax greedy state of CT and heading North. Anyone know of any companies looking for a Help Desk Manager or an all around network administrator ? I've searched Monster.com and a couple others but we all know it's who you know and personal networking that gets you the job.

Part of the relocation also involves building the dream house. What's a 2-5 acre lot going to run me outside of town ? I'm used to real estate prices in CT so I don't think NH will shock me too much. 2-5 acres of woods would be the way to go.

Also, and MOST important, will I be able to add all those evil features to my ARs once we make the move ?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:40:33 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
My wife and I are exploring the possibility of leaving the great tax greedy state of CT and heading North. Anyone know of any companies looking for a Help Desk Manager or an all around network administrator ? I've searched Monster.com and a couple others but we all know it's who you know and personal networking that gets you the job.

Part of the relocation also involves building the dream house. What's a 2-5 acre lot going to run me outside of town ? I'm used to real estate prices in CT so I don't think NH will shock me too much. 2-5 acres of woods would be the way to go.

Also, and MOST important, will I be able to add all those evil features to my ARs once we make the move ?

+1

HAH!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:13:06 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

HAH!

Whatdoyamean, HAH!  ? I got three lowers going to waste in my safe but I don't wanna build them if I gotta go by the CT ban regs. I've lived here all my life but brother, it's time to go !!!
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:50:12 AM EDT
[#3]
You can have "evil" features in NH, no problem.
I've been gone from NH for a few years, but here are a few places to try-

ADP/Scudder in Salem-they are a 401(k)  company, but maybe...

Fidelity in Merrimack

Citizens Bank NH in Manchester

They are all large employers. Citizens uses Monster, but a blind resume to any might yield results. Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:14:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

HAH!

Whatdoyamean, HAH!  ? I got three lowers going to waste in my safe but I don't wanna build them if I gotta go by the CT ban regs. I've lived here all my life but brother, it's time to go !!!

Oh believe me... I'm RIGHT behind you... thats what I meant by the +1.  

Abandon Ship!

Of course you'll be able to add all those evil features once you're into NH, but I believe there's some sort of legal stipulation about having to trade your Pre-Ban lowers to people stuck in CT before you leave.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:11:59 AM EDT
[#5]
IM sent with some job tips.  I just moved to NH a few months ago so I have some first hand knowledge.  

NH is a great state and I love it here, but it is very different from a lot of states I’ve lived in.  You have to be careful to find a city with an adequate support system (garbage, internet service, snow plowing, etc.).  For example, most towns don’t have garbage pickup and you have to travel to the dump to get rid of your garbage.  If you have kids, then schools are a huge concern.  The way NH allocates funding is pretty unique and some towns have excellent schools, yet two towns over nobody take the SATs and the college attendance rate is 10%.  Great towns are out there, but you have to be pretty careful to pick the gems out.  Helpful NH Town Tool

Another concern is commute time.  I would strongly recommend finding your job first, then picking a town that meets your requirements.  For example, if you find a job in Boston then I would recommend living on the Eastern side of the Merrimack river so you have an easier commute and can shoot down 93 into MA.  However, if you get a job at Fidelity in Merrimack, then I'd get a house on the Western side of the river to ease the commute.  There are only two bridges that cross the river in Southern NH (Manchester & Nashua) so you if you live in Litchfield three hundred yards from the Bud plant on the other side of the river in Merrimack, you would have a half hour commute to drive North or South across one of the bridges to get to the plant.  

Regarding home and acreage prices, you will be relieved.  An example:  Mont Vernon (great schools, small country town 20 mintues outside of Nashua) had a brand new 3,000 sq foot colonial on 8 acres for $365k this past Spring).  In Amherst (one town closer to Nashua), a similar house would go closer to $465k).  Nashua would be more inexpensive due to flight paths at the Manchester airport.  

I'll stop rambling now and IM me if you have any questions.  I've helped three people find houses in the area so I have a wealth of information if you are serious about moving.  Finally, I sold all of my preban evil guns at a premium in MA before I moved.  Do the same and you can buy new evil guns and have some extra money for ammo and optics!  

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:24:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Start here
http://jobsinnh.com/

http://www.jobsinme.com
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:32:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You have to be careful to find a city with an adequate support system (garbage, internet service, snow plowing, etc.).  For example, most towns don’t have garbage pickup and you have to travel to the dump to get rid of your garbage.

Nothing is free.  You're either paying for it through taxes or via a commercial company.  Personally, I like having the choice, instead of getting stuck with taxes to pay for it.  Most towns have a commercial option available, but it can be pricey.  I just go to the "recycling center," where I run into all my neighbors.  One of the aspects of rural small town life.

Finally, I sold all of my preban evil guns at a premium in MA before I moved.  Do the same and you can buy new evil guns and have some extra money for ammo and optics!

Now this...this is nothing short of fucking brilliant.  There's no premium up here for pre-ban's, so selling them where they're hot is genius.  Goes against that whole "selling guns" taboo, I know, but you'll make out like a bandit, and can buy even more when you get here.

Scott
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:53:20 PM EDT
[#8]
If you are looking to come to VT

www.vtforge.com/contact/jobs_misappsupport.htm
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:15:33 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Yes.  I sent my post-ban upper to ADCO to get flash-hider put on.  Too $$ to get the bayo lug, but I also put on a collapsable stock.  I recently bought a no-ban configured rifle and that M-7 bayo looks positively evil.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:55:41 AM EDT
[#10]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:

Nothing is free. You're either paying for it through taxes or via a commercial company. Personally, I like having the choice, instead of getting stuck with taxes to pay for it. Most towns have a commercial option available, but it can be pricey. I just go to the "recycling center," where I run into all my neighbors. One of the aspects of rural small town life.

Now this...this is nothing short of fucking brilliant. There's no premium up here for pre-ban's, so selling them where they're hot is genius. Goes against that whole "selling guns" taboo, I know, but you'll make out like a bandit, and can buy even more when you get here.

Scott
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ouch!  Havin a rough day Scott?  

ktrout01 lives in CT and doesn't have to run to the dump to get rid of his garbage?  Big deal?  Not for most, but it is one of the many things that is different about NH culture (vs. CT) and something you may have to get used to when you move to some NH towns.  And by the way, since "nothing is free" who is paying for the town dump?  Town taxes genius.  

And yes, I did make out like a bandit (Colt CC Carbine $2,800, HK USPC 45 $1,250, Glock 27 $900) and I don't believe in taboo.  I believe in freedom - freedom to move out of fucked up states like MA and the freedom to buy and sell weapons.  Is it still taboo when you buy more guns than you sold?  

So getting back to the thread, as a resident of NH, what tips or advice can you offer to a fellow gun owner from CT looking for a job in NH?

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:56:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:

Nothing is free. You're either paying for it through taxes or via a commercial company. Personally, I like having the choice, instead of getting stuck with taxes to pay for it. Most towns have a commercial option available, but it can be pricey. I just go to the "recycling center," where I run into all my neighbors. One of the aspects of rural small town life.

Now this...this is nothing short of fucking brilliant. There's no premium up here for pre-ban's, so selling them where they're hot is genius. Goes against that whole "selling guns" taboo, I know, but you'll make out like a bandit, and can buy even more when you get here.

Scott
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ouch!  Havin a rough day Scott?  

ktrout01 lives in CT and doesn't have to run to the dump to get rid of his garbage?  Big deal?  Not for most, but it is one of the many things that is different about NH culture (vs. CT) and something you may have to get used to when you move to some NH towns.  And by the way, since "nothing is free" who is paying for the town dump?  Town taxes genius.  

And yes, I did make out like a bandit (Colt CC Carbine $2,800, HK USPC 45 $1,250, Glock 27 $900) and I don't believe in taboo.  I believe in freedom - freedom to move out of fucked up states like MA and the freedom to buy and sell weapons.  Is it still taboo when you buy more guns than you sold?  

So getting back to the thread, as a resident of NH, what tips or advice can you offer to a fellow gun owner from CT looking for a job in NH?

Either you didn't read my posting, or you misinterpreted it badly.  First, my point was I would rather someone give me the OPTION of paying to have my trash hauled away.  If it's municipal, it's part of your taxes, and you pay whether you want to or not.   By detaching trash hauling from municipal services you can CHOOSE to pay it or haul your own.  And my taxes are a LOT cheaper to simply support a dump (that almost supports itself) than they would be if I had to pay for municipal removal.  See?  Freedom to choose.  What a concept.

On the guns issue, I had often heard there were people too stupid to know a compliment when they hear one, but I always thought that was so much hype.  My point was: the advice to sell the artifically inflated pre-ban guns before moving up here was a GOOD ONE.  Hence the words BRILLIANT and MAKE OUT LIKE A BANDIT.  In normal society, these are GOOD words.  I WANT to MAKE OUT LIKE A BANDIT, and normally when an idea is heralded as BRILLIANT, that's a GOOD THING. What part of "...but you'll make out like a bandit, and can buy even more when you get here." is confusing?

So, my advice to a fellow gun owner moving up to NH:

1.  Don't worry about the differences in services.  Choice is GOOD, and can be cheaper in the long run.
2.  Consider the previous poster's advice and consider selling your pre-bans to take advantage of their artifically inflated prices in non-free states, and then buy even more and better guns when you get here.

Hopefully, ktrout1 is a lot more perceptive than some other posters.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top